·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
122 Posts
Thanks for the link. As I just bought a 2019 model, I probably won't rush out and up-grade, but there were 3 things that caught my eye.

1) Confirmation that Kawasaki has changed the Caster/Trail on the 2020 model. This was hinted at by a video review by MCN.

2019 - Caster = 24.5* & Trail = 4.02 in
2020 - Caster = 24* & Trail = 3.9 in

2) The change in cam profile to "reduce tappet noise" and a change in length of #1 & #4 air-intake tubes.

3) In the comments section, there is an interesting comment regarding the attachment of the rear sub-frame. I am not sure if this has been a problem with other models of the N1K, but from an engineering perspective, it makes sense.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Murphy, Kawasaki usa changed their figures and they match what you posted for the head angle and trail. For a while, the usa figures were off.

That makes sense. That's very close to the change you would see, on the old bikes, by running a 190/55 rear tire, or the other methods we've all used to raise the back end. It's crazy..I think my back end was raised by about 3/8" (longer shock) but it works. The handling is better. Better meaning it feels right, all through the turn. It doesnt have the feeling like its tipping in. No doubt a better stock tire helps with this, too.

I wonder how kawasaki made this change? Lots of ways to accomplish it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
3) In the comments section, there is an interesting comment regarding the attachment of the rear sub-frame. I am not sure if this has been a problem with other models of the N1K, but from an engineering perspective, it makes sense.
Early on there were a couple of guys with failures of the subframe mounts. The bolts came loose and rounded out the holes and the subframe flopped up and down. The writer is correct in the design could be better but given it remains unchanged I'd say Kawasaki has not seen it as a big enough issue to change. It is obviously not a "critical design flaw."

IF you plan on adding luggage + a tail trunk + carry a passenger you might consider his "fix" which is to get longer bolts and add a nut/lockwasher on the inside of the subframe. This same design has been around since 2010 and I haven't seen reported failures in quite a while.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That is a pretty good "review" for somebody that professed to not having ridden one. He is spot on about this been a "mature" update, but I'm not so sure of the "upmarket" part. Adjustable clutch lever does not luxury make. Being that the MSRP only went up $200, I doubt the demographic shift is seismic. I did like that he was very candid about his take on some of the touted design changes being a mixture of engineering prudence and marketing spin. Ain't that the truth with every single N1k update?

He also mention the mirrors being even farther apart on the 2020, but apparently Kawi didn't answer his question of how much. Maybe one of you guys with a 2020 can break out a measure tape. :smile:

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Heres the same view of my 2012. I have 1 inch spacers under my mirrors. It looks almost identical to the 2020, as far as mirror spacing goes. Mirror base lines up with the inner portion of the handlebar. If the 2020 has spaced them apart, it isnt by much.

Assuming the r and d money is limited, it's all going toward side by sides. Very small amounts to the motorcycle side.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts