Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
I like that. I think you could use a jack, under the engine and raise the front. It should pivot in the center mount point.

That would make for easy fork work, or steering head bearing lubrication.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
OK, I'm curious. I don't see any leverage. So how hard is it to get the bike on the stand? Other stands have a lever arm sticking somewhere that you pry the bike up with. It seems like you'd screw the stand into place with the bike on the sidestand. Then stand the bike up and lift it's entire weight up on the stand while rocking forward.

I've used the "jack under the engine" method with a regular rear stand to raise the front end so it should certainly work with this setup with even less pressure on the jack or engine.

·
Registered
962 Posts
OK, I'm curious. I don't see any leverage. So how hard is it to get the bike on the stand? Other stands have a lever arm sticking somewhere that you pry the bike up with. It seems like you'd screw the stand into place with the bike on the sidestand. Then stand the bike up and lift it's entire weight up on the stand while rocking forward.

I've used the "jack under the engine" method with a regular rear stand to raise the front end so it should certainly work with this setup with even less pressure on the jack or engine.
The video shows it. There is an arm that extends to give leverage.
Click on the link the OP provided then go the the link that says “videos”.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
The video shows it. There is an arm that extends to give leverage.
Click on the link the OP provided then go the the link that says “videos”.
Cool. I hadn't gone to their web page.
Now if it only cost $35 like my rear stand did...well, $45 with spools. It is pretty slick, though.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the extendable lever makes it really easy. They offer a addon to the rear stand that lifts the front up, or you can add wheels to roll it around etc.

Your right, it's expensive, but I don't have to worry about the bobbins hitting my exhaust and it's sturdy as heck. You can literally stand on the pegs when its in the stand.

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
I like that it would store on the wall when not in use.

Also, when it comes off the stand, there doesn't appear to be any "no man's land" like you get with the rear stand . The bike looks like it's easy to control.

Was shipping reasonable? 255 sounds too low to include shipping?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like that it would store on the wall when not in use.

Also, when it comes off the stand, there doesn't appear to be any "no man's land" like you get with the rear stand . The bike looks like it's easy to control.

Was shipping reasonable? 255 sounds too low to include shipping?
I had to pay $20 for shipping, but also duty because it shipped from the UK. So it was $369CDN + $70CDN duty and tax = $439CDN total. With 25% difference in currency (Can/US), you can likely expect to pay approx. $329USD depending on your duty and tax laws (or if they stage them to the US).

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
My garage gets invaded by hummingbirds. I am 4 for 5 in bringing them back to life after finding them the next morning. I have 7 48" led lights that have barely been used.

For this reason, I have to keep my garage dark. When you trip over a pitbull stand, it doesn't flex or move.

As I fly through the air, 369.00+70.00 is pretty reasonable. After landing, it's a bargain .

Reactions: Rumtum and Thail

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
699 Posts
<< snip >>
Your right, it's expensive, but I don't have to worry about the bobbins hitting my exhaust and it's sturdy as heck. You can literally stand on the pegs when its in the stand.
For the cost of the ABBA stand, I'd just consider getting a cheap tattoo on some "private part" of my anatomy saying " have you spent 2 minutes removing the bobbins ? " and use a inexpensive rear paddock stand instead.

·
Registered
609 Posts
They directed me to an AU site they want $1500 + accessories - ill stick to paddock stand me thinks

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
You can do a version of this poor man style.

I believe it was a 3/8" metal rod. If you open up the left side of the swingarm pivot hole, slightly. A 3/8" drill bit cleans up the hooke enough to fit. The rod slides through and you can support the bike on jackstands.

Once you do that, remove the rear stand and the bike is like a see-saw.

My front stand is great for tire changes, but it won't allow you to remove the triple clamp. Mostly a wasted purchase because of this.

Reactions: kenors

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
That set is a bargain for someone who doesn't have stands. You could save the 315.00 from being able to remove your wheels yourself.

I'm afraid I might miss tripping over my current stands.

I barely use my rear stand since I bought the Baxley chock. My rear pitbull stand is probably faster than this Abba set up, but it's much less useful. Especially if you add the piece for the front ,like you did .

Another advantage is overall length. If I use my front and rear stand, my bike needs at least 2 ft in front and probably another 2 ft back. Yours stays within it's own footprint .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just got this simple swing arm rear center stand for the N1K. Simple to use and easy to stand by yourself. Superbike Stand
I really like that stand. So much I got one on order. For an additional $35 I picked up the adapters for use on my Suzuki. Shipping notice says it'll arrive early next week. Not bad for international delivery.

Thanks for posting up the information!

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
You can do a version of this poor man style.

I believe it was a 3/8" metal rod. If you open up the left side of the swingarm pivot hole, slightly. A 3/8" drill bit cleans up the hooke enough to fit. The rod slides through and you can support the bike on jackstands.

Once you do that, remove the rear stand and the bike is like a see-saw.
Well duh! I have 3/8" rod and a pair of screw jacks from an old RV I no longer own. Thanks for putting 2 and 2 together for me! Given how seldom I need this kind of lift (vs front/rear stands for tires/chain/brake maintenance) it's great to have a $0.00 solution for when this type of lift is just the thing to have.

Thanks for the idea Roland! 😎👍

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
Ken, mine was almost 100% "mods not necessary" when Volfy first brought up the idea. I borrowed the idea from him.

I'm not sure how Kawasaki hollowed out our swingarm pivot, but one side wasn't quite large enough for the metal rod. If it were drilled, it would be?

It wasn't even 1mm under sized so I didn't feel bad about opening it up. It was mostly cleaned up rather than enlarged. I'm not sure how consistent this hole is?

Like you said, we don't need it often, but when you do it better be as safe and secure as something you use on a daily basis.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts