Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 2021 Ninja 1000 SX on March 27th. I had a fireblade before then moved to the vfr and now i'm too old to ride either of those for very long so i've gotten the old man bike.

Currently live in Rochester, NY, been riding a long time, I have a 98 valkyrie as well and sold my 3 other bikes to buy the ninja.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats. I haven’t been on a bike in over 10 years. Also picked up a new 2019 N1K just a few months ago and in love with this bike.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I had a fireblade before then moved to the vfr and now i'm too old to ride either of those for very long so i've gotten the old man bike.
I won't speak for others, but I, for one, resemble that remark. :giggle: Congrats on the new bike.

I rode my stock S20's just to get a feel of the bike in straight OEM trim. With stock tires brand new, the bike handle fairly decently, although steering was not quite neutral. Mid corner, I had to keep some pressure on the inside handlebar to keep the bike in the lean, which is similar to my prior experience test riding N1k's of various model years. It got progressively worse as the stock S20's started to wear out of shape. Toward the end of the S20's serviceable life, handling deteriorated into the dumpster. I doubt there is anything inherently wrong with the S20. It's more that the N1k's handling is rather sensitive to tire wear. I've noticed this in other Kawi's.

As for tires, 190/55 is a popular conversion, but I switched to 180/55 and like it a lot. Gearing wise, there are reports of '17-'19 N1k not tolerating too large a change. Read here. Not too many reports on 2020+ yet.

On your 2021, I would ride on the stock tires so you get a baseline feel. Kawi supposedly tweaked the 2020+ suspension so yours should do better than mine, even in stock form. Besides, they are there already. Why not get some good use out of them?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I just picked up my 2021 Ninja 1000 SX on March 27th. I had a fireblade before then moved to the vfr and now i'm too old to ride either of those for very long so i've gotten the old man bike.
Welcome.
I never thought that the Ninja 1000 was an old man's bike but then again...if the shoe fits... Gotta admit, all my mods are for comfort. Longer leg reach, comfortable seat, warm grips and quiet cockpit. It comes stock with enough zip to stir my youngish soul.

Reactions: Energydrinkvape

·
Registered
60 Posts
yes, our ninja 1000's is the old man's sportbike. i have a 15 and love it. BUT i just bought a gsxr1000 for my sixty fifth for one more real sportbike. got 500 miles on it in couple weeks and sure is fun and uncomfortable lol

·
Registered
2014 N1K
25 Posts
Rochester? Get it out today, it's finally warm (I'm in Syracuse). Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hahahaha, I'm like half the age of most of you guys. This bike is pretty unpopular, which is great for my wallet. 140 hp, 80 ftlbs torque, cheaper than a 600, super comfortable, with superbike level tech, looks like one too. Hard to beat. But label it a sport tourer and it becomes invisible on the dealership floors.

I did also buy a ZX10R for even more top end. The perfect combo if you're a street guy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rochester? Get it out today, it's finally warm (I'm in Syracuse). Congrats on the purchase.
I leave for work at 5:15 am. it was still 40 and wet when i left this morning so the bike was out. This afternoon looks promising, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts