Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For a long long time I have been itching to return to biking and after a lot of years riding decided it was time to forgo the GSXRs I used to love riding. Back in the day anything with that much hooligan built in got my vote.

I test road just about everything out there and everentually decided on the Ninja 1000SX. With a few more mile under my belt I wanted something that would get me to the best roads in style and could still be fun on the bends so 4 months ago I parted with cash and bought a 2020 Ninja 1000SX (2800 miles on it) - and what a revelation it has been.

I have over 13,000 miles on it and ridden it across France. Spain, Portugal, Morrocco, Germany, Poland and Switzerland.

It has been on a track day at Brands Hatch and I have to say this bike never fails to impress me - awesome and I reckon it will be a while before another bike seriously challenges it.

My only criticism was the seat - it was so uncomfortable I struggled to sit on it for more than 30 minutes. In the end I took it to an automotive upholsterer and had the edges rounded and put a Cooler Cover on the bike and the bike is transformed - I can comfortably ride 300+ miles without a problem.

Anyway I am now approaching 25,000km and wondering what to do next ............... this is the best bike I have owned so no idea what direction to go in next.

Premium Member
'12 Ninja 1000 (w/ late model KQR panniers), 03 KTM 525 EXC
Sounds like the bike is a good fit for you! That's awesome. Can't say I've ridden internationally with my Ninja. How do you like the ABS and traction control?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back in the day when we didn't have electronics I could not understand why we would want them - a good throttle hand and careful brakes should have been enough.

Having said that I am now very happy to have the safety of the electronics in case they are needed - particularly ABS.

If I were to make any observations on the Ninja they would be:

1. Comfort which is already talked about all over the internet, and above with my own fix.

2. The user mode is not fully configurable - it is only a choice of the existing electronics settings so I do not really understand what this is for.

2, When the petrol tank is full the bike is top heavy and the petrol sloshes around - some baffles in the tank would be a cheap fix and reduce the chance of over balancing when petrol starts moving around.

3. Lose 10kgs would help the handling, or better forks with more adjustment such as low and high speed adjustment

Truth is for me the bike is 95% there and the points above would add that final 5%

Premium Member
You talk about fuel sloshing around. That's an excellent observation. This bike is based on the z1000. The z1000 fuel capacity was about 1 gallon les than we have. That gallon added is right on top of the tank. Pretty much the worst spot you could choose if it about feel or handling

It must have been about 2010 when a company started selling foam you would jam inside your dirt bikes fuel tank. This foam prevented that fuel from moving around.

I'm not sure why the idea didn't catch on . I know that this isn't a new idea and it's used in race cars and planes. Something about the fuel being less likely to explode...

But, on the dirt bike, it was really nice. It didn't reduce the fuel tank capacity by very much and you definitely didn't feel the fuel moving around like you did without it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts