Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting story on my experience!

I was heading up to the dealer to pick up my FZ1.. Spec'ed it out and basically selected the model I wanted. I negotiated with the dealer for about 3 days and decided to pull the trigger on Saturday..

I got to the dealer and they had it moved out on the showroom floor. I was all loving it, and was about to go write a check when I had to use the restroom.

I walked over to the restroom and low a behold.. The Kawi section and a 15' N1K was sitting there.. Pristine.. The Urge to urinate went away quickly as I climbed aboard and was instantly captivated...

I grabbed the sales guy and said.. Dude.. This is the bike.. He looked at me and said, oh man I didn't even know you were considering other brands..

An hour later we settled on a price, and I was geared up and waiting on my bike to be wheeled out.. I live about 100 miles south of the dealer so I told my wife to leave me here (At the dealer) and head home..

20 mins past.. 30... 40.. I asked the sales guy.. Whats taking so long? I figured they may have been backed up as a lot of bikes were selling.

He went to check and returned with some interesting news. "We took your bike up for the pre-delivery ride and to fill it with gas and it is now showing the engine warning light. They are looking at it in the tech bay now. I will let you know but this happens occasionally."

Another 20-30-40-50 mins have gone by and I get the text my wife is home. The manager now comes over to talk to me " Hey man, bad news.. Your bike has a bad fuel pump and we can't release it today." I'm like - Dude I live 100 miles away and my wife is home already.. He said he would figure out what to do, but they kinda were freaking out.

Luckily I have a good friend who lives about 20 mins away. I call him and give him the old '"Dude I need a huge favor."

So the manager gave me $50 to help compensate for gas etc, which in turn I gave to my buddy who graciously drove me home and back ruining his sat night.

So there is my story.. a Bought a paid for N1k and I haven't even started it yet.. The dealership said they would figure out what needs to be done, either a new crated bike for me or a quick swap of the pump.

Im hoping to pick it up this Saturday. I'll have pics then but it's the Black N1k.

Thanks for reading!

TL;DR -

I went to buy an Fz1 and changed my mind and got a N1k but it had an Engine issue with 0 miles. So Im waiting for delivery.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Funny how those things happened. I was buying a FJ09 and the dealer had a used N1K sitting outside with almost no miles on it. Instead of the FJ I ended up with the N1K. :D

I don't dare tell my wife something similar happened... ;) In each case I made the right decision. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny how those things happened. I was buying a FJ09 and the dealer had a used N1K sitting outside with almost no miles on it. Instead of the FJ I ended up with the N1K. :D

I don't dare tell my wife something similar happened... ;) In each case I made the right decision. :D

Yeah I looked at the FJ09.. Great tech.. BAD Limiters and wobble ..

Also too narrow for me.. After Looking at FZ1 and Ninja next to each other... Was a no brainer.. No wonder they were willing to do 9OTD for the FZ1

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yea, glad I didn't go with the FJ. Suspension (like the FZ) would have needed a lot of work and that is generally expensive. It has worse ECU mapping than the N1K so mandatory ECU reflash there.

The top speed limiter was quite low. I would routinely hit if it was that low on the N1K. Considering I have an ADV type bike anyway, I am glad I went with the N1K.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome!

Great story,

yep you are gonna fit in just fine around here....

I'd be bouncing off the walls waiting for Saturday.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I did the same thing with a gun.. However I had purchased my wonderful S/W 686 already when I put a Glock 34 in my hand... I bought it the next month :)

You are going to love you Kawi and welcome!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I am sure it will all work out. I have only managed to get about 130 miles on mine and I know it is the right choice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I am sure it will all work out. I have only managed to get about 130 miles on mine and I know it is the right choice.
Yeah I appreciate it.. I don't see it as too bad of troubles as I didnt even ride it yet.. Just a slight delay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ha ha, great story, well except the part where you dont' get to ride home, but you made the right decision. I too almost bought an FJ09, but one ride on the N1K and I was like screw that thing....bought the N1K on the spot.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Im sure once you get it you will be happy with your decision, welcome aboard

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well today I was told the bike has issues from the factory and the unit is going back to KAWI.. They got a replacement unit and are assembling Over the next day and it will be ready for me on Sat..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did they elaborate as to what kind of issues it had?
Yes, somewhat..

Faulty Fuel Pump
Clogged fuel lines
Rattling inside engine

Bike wasnt safe period.. Kawi has taken possession of the bike and is sending it back to their HQ for inspection.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Ive been watching the Ninja /z 1000 forums for at least five years. I've never heard of those issues before. Typically, you buy bike and never go back to the dealer again.

Try not to even think about it as I believe that defective bike is a strange occurrence.

What color did you get?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Color is jet black. Indeed they said it's very strange and uncommon but apparently it does happen.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I started out with my heart set on a Yamaha FZ6R. Bounced around their models until someone told me I should at least check out CBR's. Well the Honda Dealer that I went to was also a Kawasaki dealer. I sat on one CBR650F and then the ninja 650. Loved the ninja, but also realized I would outgrow the 650 in less than 12 months. However, the ninja 1000,...Hmmmmmmm! I like the black one.

Welcome to the list and welcome to the N1K. No matter how you get here, you ended up in the right place :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well.. I am very stoked.. Tomorrow morning is the Day!

I will post pics if you guys want, but i'm sure you guys have seen the bike 1000 times.. (no pun intended)

Here is some of the old bike the day I tried to leave with it.. 0 miles yet they had no clue how jacked this bike really was..

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well guys..

Im speechless... Ive owned quite a bit of bikes... None have thrilled me as much as this one..

Saddlebags are on order.. Paid about 1000 for the entire Kit.. Locks, Color panels and bags.. Cant wait for those!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts