Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured it was time I finally signed up.

I'm a former Pennsylvania dairy farm kid who now does IT work in Houston, Texas.

I bought a 2014 Ninja 1000 in August of 2017. I was in the midst of a divorce that left me without a car and with only a higher mileage 1998 BMW R1100R which was needing some repairs that would have it off the road for a while so I considered: a car or another bike. I looked over several used bikes, too and then found this one. My 1000 was barely used (less than 1,500 miles) and for a nice price in Fayetteville, NC, just an hour from my Raleigh abode at the time, so I went for it.

Today it's closing on 18,000 miles and I still love it. Still no car so it's my daily driver. I've truly been impressed by how well it does for commuting, getting groceries (with the saddle bags and a large tail bag,) and riding rural roads on the weekends. When I moved to Houston last summer I did a road trip on it: Raleigh to Houston by way of Pittsburgh, PA, St Louis, Kansas City...

I've been riding for about 15 years, starting out when I lived in Scranton, PA, and became a year-round rider when I moved to Raleigh. I've always bought used bikes and had a number of the years - '01 Vulcan 750, '94 Honda Magna, '93 Honda Nighthawk, '98 Kawasaki Voyager XII, and '98 R1100R, plus a lot of seat time on my ex's '05 Ninja 250, '05 BMW R1200RT, and '02 Kawasaki ZR-7s. Though the ZR-7s belonged to my ex we swapped bikes for a few years so it was my daily driver and I rode it on an 8,000 mile across-the-USA trip 5 years ago.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Welcome to the forum, the ninja 1000 is a great all around bike and you seem to be using it to the fullest, alot of great people here on the forum. Be interesting to here if you have done any mods to your bike like a different seat for comfort, Ivans flash etc.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Welcome....I've been in Houston, during a rain storm. How does that work when you ride a motorcycle, or when you get caught in them.

A Utah rain, a dedicated ride could deal with. Not do, down there. Roads get flooded, and it was not like anything I had seen before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be interesting to here if you have done any mods to your bike like a different seat for comfort, Ivans flash etc.
Not yet. I want to put a Corbin seat on it. I have past experience with their seats on a couple other bikes and love them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome....I've been in Houston, during a rain storm. How does that work when you ride a motorcycle, or when you get caught in them.

A Utah rain, a dedicated ride could deal with. Not do, down there. Roads get flooded, and it was not like anything I had seen before.
For me it's planning around the rain and using work from home. I'm in IT so have that option typically. Plus I'm not close to the parts that most often get flooding from all any but the worst of the rain.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
599 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks here as well as excellent information for maintaining and modifying your Ninja 1000.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Welcome! As John said, we live to modify our Ninja. This is a bike which is great out of the box but responds brilliantly to mods. The forum has riders aplenty willing to help out on stuff you may want to do to your bike. All the best!

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Bikram, excuse me ofmi missed it, but did we ever get p8cs of your wheels? If not, why not? I would love to see them on the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welp. Earlier this summer, despite deterrents used, someone tried to steal my 2014 Ninja 1000 and have done more damage than is worth repairing. There's not a plastic panel that didn't get broken and a lot more damage happened - oil leaked, the shifter and footpeg mount was broken, kickstand was completely gone, etc. Unfortunately, due to a combination of situations replacing that bike isn't viable for me. Hopefully, I'll have another Ninja 1000 in the future, but for now this is goodbye.

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
It might not be that bad. Ebay has chinese plastic kits, full kits, for under 500. Fully painted. The peg is no big deal, either. I can show you some ebay rearsets that are decent for under 150.00, total.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Unfortunately, there's a good bit more, like the side stand mount being destroyed, an oil leak, etc., and that's just what was immediately obvious. Given how violently it was handled in the theft attempt - literally backed a UHaul truck with the ramp extended slamming the bike into a dumpster - it's not hard for there to be a lot more wrong, including that I've since noticed the handlebars are both bent.

ETA: today I got my ride camera, etc., off of it and got a good look under the tank, etc. There's a crack in the fuel tank, a hole in the stator side covor, the gauge pod is canted to the right about 1cm (I had to use considerable force to raise the windshield to get my EZ Tag off.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts