Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey boys, I upgraded to the N1K just a week ago. The bike is smashingly good-looking. I dig the riding position, the rider triangle is just perfect and stress-free while at the same time giving enough forward lean to feel what the front tyre is doing. Its freaking hot where I live, mid-summer, so have had very limited riding (250km/155miles). So far no mods (er, not been too long for "so far", LOL!!) except for the slip-on G&G exhaust that arrived in the mail today, hee hee! Will complete the break-in before I bolt it on...if I can hold on that long! I noticed some vibes through the foot pegs between 3000-4000rpm but the engine's still shiny new so lets see how this pans out once I complete the break-in. Kawasaki here specifies a 1600km run before you twist the throttle in anger.

More later.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi Bikram. Welcome from Northern California, USA.

I know a few people from India (big surprise in Silicon Valley) and they've always told me the bikes were usually a lot smaller back home. Are 1000cc bikes common where you are? Or are you the 500 pound gorilla of the forest now? :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ishikawa. I'd go with the 500 pound gorilla, LOL! But we have small riding groups where you have bikes 650cc onwards, going up to the 'Busa and the ZX-14's. Throw into the mix the triples from Triumph. So while the outright numbers are rather small, we have all bikes available in India now including the big bruiser cruisers. And track riding is pretty big in India as Delhi has a Formula 1 circuit which is profitably pressed into service for bike racing.

How's your experience of the N1K? And any mods on her yet?

·
Registered
709 Posts
That's great! You've got sizes all the way up to the 'Busa and ZX-14. Those are some rockets! You fit right into the middle of the pack.

I just purchased my 2015 in January. I've done the following mods so far.
Yoshimura fender eliminator
Ivan's ECU reflash
Kawasaki frame sliders
Kawasaki hard side bags (along with the necessary change in tandem grab bars)

I have some new BKMoto HID headlights sitting on a shelf right now. I haven't gotten the motivation or the nerve to take on this mod just yet.
I also plan on changing the wind screen, to a Puig or VStream sport/tour.
I have looked at changing the clip on bars, but I am not sure I will go through with that.

The really important mods for me were the frame sliders since I am new to riding after a 35 year break, and the hardshell side bags. At the time I bought the bike I didn't expect to want an ECU reflash. However this has made the bike so much more enjoyable to ride, I rank it up there with the really important mods.

I love riding the bike. Its torquey engine is thrilling. So far I have rode with the traction control on 3, with a couple of rides on 2. I am going to slowly dial it back and hopefully feel the difference in a safe manner. However, if I get caught in the rain the TC is going up to 3 again.

It's a great learning experience riding such a powerful bike, and I am in no rush with my mods or my abilities. I am really enjoying the journey.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Welcome!

You can install the exhaust right now if you want, it won't hurt a thing. The actual muffler/cat is that box under the bike. That does the bulk of the muffling and noise reduction. Swapping the mufflers after that won't change a thing, performance wise, other than a marginal weight reduction of course.

The vibes will pass with time. I had bought a Ninja 650 brand new, and that thing was borderline a paint shaker then! After a few thousand miles, it gradually smoothed out. All my new bikes have been extra vibey at first, and always smooth out, to a point of course, it varies from engine to engine(4 cylinder vs a thumper for example).

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Welcome from NY. Some pics of your group rides would be cool.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great! You've got sizes all the way up to the 'Busa and ZX-14. Those are some rockets! You fit right into the middle of the pack.

I just purchased my 2015 in January. I've done the following mods so far.
Yoshimura fender eliminator
Ivan's ECU reflash
Kawasaki frame sliders
Kawasaki hard side bags (along with the necessary change in tandem grab bars)

I have some new BKMoto HID headlights sitting on a shelf right now. I haven't gotten the motivation or the nerve to take on this mod just yet.
I also plan on changing the wind screen, to a Puig or VStream sport/tour.
I have looked at changing the clip on bars, but I am not sure I will go through with that.

The really important mods for me were the frame sliders since I am new to riding after a 35 year break, and the hardshell side bags. At the time I bought the bike I didn't expect to want an ECU reflash. However this has made the bike so much more enjoyable to ride, I rank it up there with the really important mods.

I love riding the bike. Its torquey engine is thrilling. So far I have rode with the traction control on 3, with a couple of rides on 2. I am going to slowly dial it back and hopefully feel the difference in a safe manner. However, if I get caught in the rain the TC is going up to 3 again.

It's a great learning experience riding such a powerful bike, and I am in no rush with my mods or my abilities. I am really enjoying the journey.
You're a rider very happy with the bike and that's great, really! I have considered Ivan's ECU flash but I'm in India and Ivan The Terrible is in the US/Europe so sending the bike's ECU to either continent would mean being grounded for a month! How much does the OE ECU cost? If it won't break the bank maybe I could buy a new one so that my riding isn't interrupted while Ivan flashes...the ECU, LOL!

How did the ECU flash impact your bike and the riding experience? Did it significantly smoothen the engine and eliminate vibes?

BTW, the BKMoto HID's are easily the best in business but I suppose you would need a ballast (power transformer) with them...unless securely taped, these things tend to rattle. Just a heads-up in advance!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're a rider very happy with the bike and that's great, really! I have considered Ivan's ECU flash but I'm in India and Ivan The Terrible is in the US/Europe so sending the bike's ECU to either continent would mean being grounded for a month! How much does the OE ECU cost? If it won't break the bank maybe I could buy a new one so that my riding isn't interrupted while Ivan flashes...the ECU, LOL!

How did the ECU flash impact your bike and the riding experience? Did it significantly smoothen the engine and eliminate vibes?

BTW, the BKMoto HID's are easily the best in business but I suppose you would need a ballast (power transformer) with them...unless securely taped, these things tend to rattle. Just a heads-up in advance!
I'd thought of lower clip-ons too but once I started riding the bike I've been very happy with the riding position - it is stress-free yet gives you a great feel for the front-end. As for TC, I ride it in TC 2 and feel very safe. Will try TC 1 after completing the break-in period.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome!

You can install the exhaust right now if you want, it won't hurt a thing. The actual muffler/cat is that box under the bike. That does the bulk of the muffling and noise reduction. Swapping the mufflers after that won't change a thing, performance wise, other than a marginal weight reduction of course.

The vibes will pass with time. I had bought a Ninja 650 brand new, and that thing was borderline a paint shaker then! After a few thousand miles, it gradually smoothed out. All my new bikes have been extra vibey at first, and always smooth out, to a point of course, it varies from engine to engine(4 cylinder vs a thumper for example).
Hello Novaks and thank you! I agree that the slip-on installation entails changing only the link pipes and the end-can while the muffler/CAT-CON stays put.Its just a little voice in my head telling me to wait a bit before I slip-on the loud pipes! And you know how those little voices-in-the-head are...LOL!

Thank you also for the words of comfort on the vibes, I'm sure they will smooth out over time. And I too had a N650 and I remember I was miserable with the bike during the break-in - the drivetrain would shunt with every twist of the throttle, the gears were so clunky and notchy...but with miles on the odo and Akra as the pipe it ran smooth as butter. So yes, I will hang in with the N1K as well!

By the way, the drivetrain shunt happens on my N1K too sometimes at the time of application of throttle...teething issues, sigh! But inline 4's have more of a shunt than twins anyway so it's fine.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Landman - thank you, mate!
@Rock - thanks, mate! There are mountains 40 minutes ride from where I live and my group usually rides up in the summers. Twisties are so much fun! Unfortunately the road is being widened so its an almighty mess and we aren't riding to the mountains at the moment. And the plains are sizzling at 110 degrees F so there isn't any group rides happening. But will post pics soon.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I never rode in anything over 95 degrees before, and I find that unbearable, so I couldn't even imagine 110. And if there's anyone in the US southwest reading saying "hey I do that all the time," no you don't. Parts of India are very humid at that temperature. It's not a desert. and I personally am ATGATT. well mostly :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts