Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled on to a reasonable deal for a 13 with really low miles(3200). Don't generally buy from dealerships, but the bike is super clean and has some light touring options( heated grips, and taller windscreen). I had just unloaded my track bike since my knees are pretty much shot and track days are on the back burner for the foreseeable future. My 04 ZZR was getting pretty long in the tooth and very high in mileage so time for a change. I wasn't looking for this bike but right time and place. And a pretty nice test ride made up my mind.
Having owned a great many different brands and styles of bikes in my 4 decades of riding this Ninja 1000 reminds me a bit of the 2nd Gen FZ1. Meaning it's a good canvas for a great bike. That seat needs to go, new shock is going to be ordered shortly, and I consider that exhaust and unsightly blight on the entire motorcycling world. With that said I'm a bit afraid to ask the next question but here goes.
Is sending my ECU to Ivans worth the $350?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Welcome aboard, and what a great introduction.

Sounds like you've done your research and know the bike already.... you nailed the seat and shock not being the best on the market.

As for Ivan's Tune.... I love mine, heck the removal of 1st and 2nd gear limiters alone was worth it for me on my 15. So yes I'd do it

Cheers and hope you enjoy.
Kenneth

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I may be one of the few that came from something much worse so found the stock seat not that bad. I do wear bike shorts or moto skivees.

I think @rcannon409 might have tried both of these seats and hopefully will see this.

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Welcome, Ivan’s flash is definately worth it, RC might have an extra seat to sell, I have been using the gel seat Kawasaki has for the nk1 and it works good for me.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm up in Appleton. Welcome.

Everyone's going to say Ivan's flash is worth it. The one thing this bike generally needs resolved is the throttle cut. I'd say ride your bike for a while and see if the kinda severe engine braking at 0% throttle position bothers you. If it does, then yes pony up the bucks for Ivan's flash. It makes the on/off throttle less herky-jerky. But recognize that when you sell the bike an Ivan's flash doesn't add any value.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I intend to ride it for the summer without alot of major mods. Gotta do something about the shock though. May even give it a whirl on Road A in July if my knees are up to it. Going to wait until Nov/Dec depending on fall weather to yank out the ECU and send it to Ivan. Most likely gonna pony up the bucks at that time for a replacement of that eyesore stock exhaust. The seat I can deal with. Rode it for about 3 hrs today, since the weather was a gift. Not as bad as the stock seat on a Gen II FZ1. That off throttle abruptness isn't real bad compared to some of the stuff I've ridden. Going to take my time sorting this bike out as the Accountant/Wife tells me my bike whoring ways have to end for a while. That was the compromise for going with another purchase in less than a year's time. I have a feeling this bike is going to have a multi-year stay in my garage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I intend to ride it for the summer without alot of major mods. Gotta do something about the shock though. May even give it a whirl on Road A in July if my knees are up to it. Going to wait until Nov/Dec depending on fall weather to yank out the ECU and send it to Ivan. Most likely gonna pony up the bucks at that time for a replacement of that eyesore stock exhaust. The seat I can deal with. Rode it for about 3 hrs today, since the weather was a gift. Not as bad as the stock seat on a Gen II FZ1. That off throttle abruptness isn't real bad compared to some of the stuff I've ridden. Going to take my time sorting this bike out as the Accountant/Wife tells me my bike whoring ways have to end for a while. That was the compromise for going with another purchase in less than a year's time. I have a feeling this bike is going to have a multi-year stay in my garage.
I'm in WI as well (down in the glorious hill country near La Crosse). I replaced my seat with a Sargent; it has a bit firmer foam than the stock seat which I (as a bigger guy) felt made it a lot more comfortable; with the stock seat it was fine for a while but after a few hours I'd squish the foam down to the point it felt like I was sitting on the seat pan.

I know the throttle abruptness is a common complaint, I think it is better than the FJR I had before this, not quite as smooth as my F4i was.

I may be in a similar position to you; I felt like I needed to cut it down from having a big touring bike and a little sport bike, so I found this a great middle ground.

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
The shock....I had Traxion Dynamics re-sprign and revalve the stock shock. 350.00 plus postage. Figure probably 40-50.00 each way for that. I ended up selling that shock to a friend when I decided to buy the Penske shock, from Traxxion.

The Penske is more comfortable, but the revalved shock was very very good. If your thinking resale, it wont increase the value at all. A real Penske shock is closer to 1000-1200 and might have some sort of resale, but from what Ive seen on ebay, not THAT much. So far, I dont believe anyone has found a cheap shock upgrade. This shock has been on ebay forever. I'll bet they might accept a lower offer? Buy this one for 700 and im sure you could re-sell for half that?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-KAWASAKI-Ninja-ZX1000-ZX-1000-ZX10-ZX10H-8987-Triple-Adjustable-Penske-Shock/143144210914?hash=item21540f51e2:g:qeEAAOSwC4lccJfG&LH_ItemCondition=4&frcectupt=true

1 - 12 of 12 Posts