Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently become very interested in the new Ninja. I live in Portland, OR, but work in San Francisco. Being in the bike business, I get away with commuting by bike... About 700mi door to door. I split my time between my home office and the SF office. We make electric bikes:
Go here if interested
www.faster-faster.com
I have used an FJR1300 for the last 80K or so. Before that an FZ1, and before that an ST1100. While I like the comfort and convenience of the larger sport touring bikes, I am craving a lighter, sportier, more agile bike. Of the last three, all were wonderful bikes. The most fun was the FZ1 because of the lighter weight and sportier handling. The only thing I miss with the smaller bikes is the large gas tanks of the ST and FJR... Anyway, I'm willing to give of the big tanks for the exciting handling of what looks like a kick *** bike in the Ninja.
So, here I am, ready to be educated about this nifty ride. I look forward to learning what I can and maybe even offering a few comments.

·
Registered
444 Posts
First off welcome! I've had an FJR ('06) in the past & prefer the feel of the N1K as it's considerably lighter. Chain vs. shaft drive is something you have to decide works best for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is why I am getting the N1K. Lighter, and sportier. I have had several bikes with drive shaft, and several with chains. Booth good for what they do. the shaft is certainly a bit cleaner and less bother on longer rides, but I have never found a chain that much of a hassle. In aid of a lighter (Becoming a bigger deal as I get a bit older), sportier bike, I take the miner chain maintenance.
I do have a question. I do like the new version hard panniers, and I like to use a top box. I note that the official web site says that one cannot use the top box mounting kit and top box, along with the panniers? That seems odd. Does this mean Kawi does not "Recommend " using them together, or that they don't fit on the bike at the same time because of weight bias or some such thing. I like a top box so much that if they con't actually fit, I might go with the top box kit and use RKA or SWMotec soft panniers with it instead of the stock hard panniers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have used a top box on my VFR and V-Strom for years, and got really used to it. Wanted the panniers on my N1K, but felt a top box would be nice. Best I can tell from forum chatter, the mounting system is different, and incompatible, for the top box and the panniers. Seems that people either go with the Kawi panniers and a tail pack, or if they go with a Kawi top box, then they have to go with aftermarket panniers. For the near term, I;'m going with the Kawi panniers and a soft tail pack.
By the way - Welcome. Nice little commute you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too bad the new panniers and top box don't mix.
Because of the long commute (Which I think of as a pirk of this job, I need the space that the top box affords. I use it to safely carry my laptop and other portable office stuff, plus the stuff I need during the ride-different gloves, heated liner, etc. I stay in SF for from one to two weeks and need both panniers for work duds, bike cover, etc. I also use a tank bag which carries the usual spare ear plugs, spare and sun glasses, extra face plate, my tire inflater compressor, and a few other things. I have been doing this trip and other LD trips for so long that I have my routine down pat. I like the top box ranter than a seat bag so I have room on the back seat for a large dry bag that can handle anything from dirty clothes to camping gear. Lately it handles shorts and deck shoes and a light jacket-One of my friends, an engineer at work lives on his sail boat in Sausalito (SF Bay) and takes me sailing! So, likely I'll go for the top box, and the larger soft panniers. OK, I need this bike!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts