Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Retired getting back into riding after many years. After demo riding many motorcycles am leaning toward a Ninja 1000. Not much stock left locally for a new one at a good price so thinking of having one shipped from out of state, and wondering if I should go for a 2016 with slipper clutch over a 2015?

Also, question on clutch in regards to drag racing, although my example pertains to a 2012 ZX-10r. I read a super bike shootout for 2012 pitting the ZX-10r against several other Japanese bikes and in the drag race portion of the test on a drag strip the ZX-10r clutch failed or weakened after a few pulls, as did a few other models, but the Honda CBR-1000rr and GSXR-1000 clutch did not and these two models launched really well and held up after repeated pulls?

I don't know how much drag racing I am going to do, but is it possible to infer from the above that a Ninja 1000, since it is a Kawasaki like the ZX-10r, clutch may not be as strong if one does drag race as a CBR-1000rr or a GSXR-1000r clutch? I realize this is a stretch since we are talking about different bikes and model years, but just wondering how durable a Ninja 1000 clutch is? And would a slipper clutch help in this scenario?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Dale

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Welcome dry, glad your getting back into riding again, i dont know how much abuse someone drag racing with a stock clutch like constantly hammering it has had but im sure somebody will chime in, i did read about an after market clutch that was made that would definately hold up, i know in my cars that was one of the first things that got upgraded was the clutch i just cant imagine a stock nk1 part really being designed for constant hard launching racing time after time again, not saying it want but seeing as its not designed as a race bike i wouldnt rely on it for that purpose.

·
Registered
127 Posts
welcome from Wyoming.not sure why someone would buy the n1k for a drag bike but whatever trips your trigger,as for your first question I decided to go with the left over 15 solely because of the great price.they can be had for about 10k.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Dale, with regards to the clutch, no..we dont have the zx10 clutch.

We have what amounts to a zx6 clutch! Still, no "real" problems with it , but it needs to have a few holes drilled for oil flow.

Yes, its called a zx10, and so is the 10r, but there are pretty much zero similar, or shared pieces. We have more clutch plates, but their diameter is the same.

None of the factories mentioned make their own clutches. They are all made by FCC, Japan. Research and Development Policy | Technical Information | F.C.C. Co.,Ltd.

So, one being "good" while the other is "bad" is funny. Yes, some light springs for an easy pull, but the plates would all be the same. More/less amount of plates or soft springs would be the difference.

Hope you are out of the water.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clutch

Dale, with regards to the clutch, no..we dont have the zx10 clutch.

We have what amounts to a zx6 clutch! Still, no "real" problems with it , but it needs to have a few holes drilled for oil flow.

Yes, its called a zx10, and so is the 10r, but there are pretty much zero similar, or shared pieces. We have more clutch plates, but their diameter is the same.

None of the factories mentioned make their own clutches. They are all made by FCC, Japan. Research and Development Policy | Technical Information | F.C.C. Co.,Ltd.

So, one being "good" while the other is "bad" is funny. Yes, some light springs for an easy pull, but the plates would all be the same. More/less amount of plates or soft springs would be the difference.

Hope you are out of the water.
Thanks for asking. Yes my area never was in the water thank goodness.

Thanks to all for responding.

And interesting info on the clutches. I wonder why the Cbr1000rr and the Gsxr1000rr did not fail at the drag strip and all the rest did?

I am probably not going to drag race much or at all, just wondering on the durability of the Ninja 1000 clutch? Sounds like not an issue under normal use?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts