Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I wear glasses but but I guess I'm particularly sensitive dust in the eyes because it has bugged me for many years. It's probably why I have no use for any windshield that doesn't raise the wind blast above the bottom of the helmet. I find most debris gets blown up under the helmet if that's the case. I found the Shoei flip face series fit my head very well when they first came out with the Synchrotec way back in the day. There was still dust that came through the front vent but I found I could take a thin piece of open cell foam (like they put on computers to keep dust out) and put it behind the vent and filter out the crud. A side benefit was it kept water droplets from spraying up through the vent in the rain. The catch 22 in rain riding is I needed the air to keep the shield from fogging but got a bit of spray up through the vent is open.

New Neotecs have a chin guard that keeps most of the debris from under the helmet out. The newest Neotec 2 tries to lock you into a Sena communicator by building a Sena mount right into the shell where you'd normally mount a communicator. I use a Cardo unit so I stuck with a Neotec 1.

I've tried Nolan and HJC flip face helmets as less expensive alternatives but up until recently, they really felt like cheap alternatives. The latest HJC is an exception but it's price is creeping up into the Shoei range.
Finally, I wear a Medium and size my helmets VERY snug. If I shake my head and can tell the chin strap isn't fastened, the helmet is too loose! To that end I've taken advantage of the multiple sizes of padding you can get for the Shoei to get the fit perfect.

I also wear earplugs all the time when riding so noise isn't much of an issue for me.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I ordered the Shoei gt air 2 from Motocard for 439$ I think it was. Order was processed but was canceled. For some reason they could not ship that helmet to the u.s. so I found a gt air one at cycle gear for430$. Took the first ride today with it . It’s a great helmet. I am a size medium and it is very tight going on and taking off. Thanks for the review ocl,
That's unfortunate. Motocard is where I got my second GT Air 1. Other than the micro ratchet chin strap and the ECE cert, it is identical to my first GT Air 1, which I bought here in the US. It got here in less than a week too. I actually just placed another order with them. Will see how this one goes. There are always risks involved when ordering from overseas, so the price difference needs to be substantial enough to be worth taking the risk. My last order from EMLineamoto shipped out fast but took almost 2months to get through transit and clear customs. Fortunately, the package arrived in good shape, so all was well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I ordered the Shoei gt air 2 from Motocard for 439$ I think it was. Order was processed but was canceled. For some reason they could not ship that helmet to the u.s. so I found a gt air one at cycle gear for430$. Took the first ride today with it . It’s a great helmet. I am a size medium and it is very tight going on and taking off. Thanks for the review ocl,
That's unfortunate. Motocard is where I got my second GT Air 1. Other than the micro ratchet chin strap and the ECE cert, it is identical to my first GT Air 1, which I bought here in the US. It got here in less than a week too. I actually just placed another order with them. Will see how this one goes. There are always risks involved when ordering from overseas, so the price difference needs to be substantial enough to be worth taking the risk. My last order from EMLineamoto shipped out fast but took almost 2months to get through transit and clear customs. Fortunately, the package arrived in good shape, so all was well.
I ordered the helmet last Saturday. The order went through with pay- pal and was in process. They did notify me immediately by email Monday morning that they could not send that item to the U.S. I called and the girl I spoke with offered to help me with something else and assured me the cancellation would be finalized in 7 to 10 days. Good customer service. I ended up finding my air 1 at a cycle gear a couple towns away. All went well.

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
The RF helmet would be good, for your zx10. My last RF (11and 12) was amazing on my sv650s. That bike had a radical , sport like riding position.I know it's been upgraded, since then, but I think the RF series still caters more to a race riding position?

When I got to my c14, or Ninja, that same helmet was a noisy mess. On the Ninja it was too upright. It felt funny, and awkward.

one of the helmet reps ended up letting me try several designs, and this whole thing made sense. The race helmet had a fairly arrow window where it was good, but raise up a few inches ,and it was bad. The Sport Tour helmets were much more forgiving of head position.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The RF helmet would be good, for your zx10. My last RF (11and 12) was amazing on my sv650s. That bike had a radical , sport like riding position.I know it's been upgraded, since then, but I think the RF series still caters more to a race riding position?

When I got to my c14, or Ninja, that same helmet was a noisy mess. On the Ninja it was too upright. It felt funny, and awkward.

one of the helmet reps ended up letting me try several designs, and this whole thing made sense. The race helmet had a fairly arrow window where it was good, but raise up a few inches ,and it was bad. The Sport Tour helmets were much more forgiving of head position.
I'm heading over to Cycle Gear to try one on. This would be the one to get if they have it:
Sports equipment Sports gear Helmet Automotive design Peripheral

·
Registered
570 Posts
Bump...
I've been looking at getting a new helmet and am considering the Shoei GT Air and the RF 1400. Any opinion on which is better?
What I like about Shoei is each model fits about the same so I can be confident that I can shop by color not model and it will fit - I have the AirII and I put the Sena integrated headset in I really like it but I use the drop down internal sunvisor less than I thought (especially if you like to add the tinted visor) - So I have an X-Spirit 3 now as well its lighter as it is their race focused helmet and I really like it as well. Have heard the RF1400 are the ducks nutz as well but never ridden in one as hard to find to try on or even buy. My X-Spirit 3 is in the color you like :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's hard to find something at the same level when you have a Shoei. They just fit like a glove and you feel right at home when you buy a new one.
If you don't want the new Shoei Neotec 2 or GT Air 2, go for an HJC Rpha 90 or Rpha 70 Carbon. They are about the same build quality, just as quiet and less expensive. But you'll have to get along with the double D strap.

About the intercoms. The SRL2 for the Shoei helmets is good for a bluetooth system, but not great. You can fit any intercom, but you'll have to move the control module more to the rear than you're used to. The buttons are a bit fidly, but not nearly as bad as the Schuberth's.
HJC also has it's own intercom system, but it's big. Really big. I like look of it, and the top version comes with Sena HD speakers. But on the HJC's, it's easier to fit any kind of intercom.

I've switched helmets about 2 months ago, and I went from a GT AIR to an Rpha 70 Carbon Reple. The HJC is lighter, just as quiet and my Cardo Freecom 4+ fits perfectly.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Bump...
I've been looking at getting a new helmet and am considering the Shoei GT Air and the RF 1400. Any opinion on which is better?
Biggest difference is GT-Air has internal sun visor. I've been a long time Shoei wearer and have had several of the RF's predecessors. Fantastic helmets. Once I went internal sun visor though, it is hard to go back to without it.

The problem with internal sun visor is that it makes meeting Snell's drop requirement practically impossible. For this reason, just about every helmet with internal visor is only DOT/ECE rated. For road riding, I don't consider it an issue. I worn a Neotec for 5+yrs and retired it after totaling the VFR1200F. I now have GT-Air and Schuberth C4 Basic for road use. As long as it's top-tier name brand, to me, it is no less safe than Snell rated helmet.

For track use, however, some TD organizers require Snell helmet. I keep a newly brand new X11 just for this purpose.

Reactions: Energydrinkvape

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm heading over to Cycle Gear to try one on. This would be the one to get if they have it:
View attachment 33054
I just got this exact helmet for Xmas. I've been riding a Shoei Qwest and thought this was going to be a major upgrade. Don't get me wrong this is a very well made helmet, but I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of noise. It generates a low frequency hum that's pretty loud. It feels louder then my Qwest. IMO it's designed for more of a race posture than on the N1K. Being that it was a gift I'm sticking with it. I did add a Sena 30K that fit well. I like the pockets they built in for the speakers. They fit flush to the inside of the liner which is very comfortable.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.