Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a 1 owner 11 with 28k miles on sunday. in bakersfield.. man what a trip! 4.5 hours each way. the lenghts i go to for a deal. :rolleyes:

po was a 67 year old retired industrial generator mechanic. him and his wife were exactly the kind of people you buy used stuff from. super nice people, very nice house, everything very tidy and organized, nice cars, etc. being an older fellow the ad was pretty thin on details and the 2 pics weren't great but my spider sense tingled and i thought 'well, let me give him a try and see what the deal is'. turned out he was a champ. i'm on car 31 and 32, this is bike.. 12? every one bought used and most from craigslist. never had a deal go south and i've flown to buy cars several times. anyway long tangent but i could write a how to guide on buying used vehicles. it's as much what you buy as who you buy it from. i've been looking for a few months, and it's amazing what ding dongs you run into... /tangent

anyway bike is immaculate. i needed a commuter and weekend sporty toury thing and this seemed like the best bang for the buck out there. will need a rear tire, and i'll bring it to the local guru for a full lookover, valve check, etc.

i'm going to try REALLY HARD not to go mod bananas like on the last couple bikes. lost my arse on my gsxr when it got stolen and crashed on both sides. got it back after a few months, put it back together and sold it to a buddy that's loving it.. he got a STEAL. the sale price barely covered the ohlins and engine mods. win some, lose some...

really like the z1k so far. came with a corbin - not great, and i'm not crazy about the look. will probably ebay a stock seat and have a local upholsterer redo it with better foam / profile / wrap. so if anyone fancies a used corbin.. it's in excellent condition.

i read the lights are crap too. bummer. that's going to need attention. anyone done hid retrofits? i know hids in a halogen housing is frowned upon but on some housings you get lucky.

levers? asv's real soon.

and that exhaust? oy vey. it's gotta go. yoshi's look the bees knees on these.

i notice the fuel cut on these is pretty pronounced too. might have to call ivan..

what else? just bought a new swmotech rear rack and 47l givi top case with a backrest from twistedthrottle. $650 yikes. cest la vie.. topcase makes a bike sooooooo much more functional. plus it's the only way i'll get the wife on it.

that's about it so far.. i haven't even washed it yet. that reminds me.. hopefully the 'ninja' and '1000' stickers come off.. i love the debadged look (as you can kind of tell by the trunk on my Evo behind the bike).

safe riding all. looking forward to stealing your good ideas and peppering you with my own 1/2 informed opinions. =D

jim

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
The ninja sticker peels right off. The tank sticker is under clear coat.

Welcome! The bay area has to be the perfect motorcycle riding area.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Welcome aboard! Glad to know there's more of these moto's in the Bay Area. I almost never see N1K's around. It's all super sports and Hardley-Ablesons that I see around, lol. Well, that and the enduro's of course.

I've been tempted to de-sticker mine as well. Everyone just asks me what kind of moto it is anyways, including the displacement, so the decals are effectively worthless, lol.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Welcome and enjoy that bike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys!

couple mods this weekend.. destickered for the stealth look.. and put on the '14 mirrors - MUCH MUCH nicer. they pivot at the base to swivel in for lanesplitting and generally look a lot more modern. $180 at sfmoto but hey.. gotta have mirrors!

sw motech rack and givi v47 case came in too. cases on sale at twistedthrottle btw.. really impressed with the swmotech stuff. but, going to have to powdercoat the grab handles black to match that silver is goofy looking.

next up... ivans, exhaust, lighting mods, yadda yadda. =)

dont see many n1k's on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts