Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just put a deposit down on a 2022 Ninja 1000SX and look forward to getting it. I'm currently riding a 2002 CBR954. At 60 years old, this bike is getting a bit uncomfortable on longer rides (more than 120 miles). My wife also decided to sell her EX-500 and stop riding. Two up on a 954 gets uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. So, we decided on the Ninja 1000.

Previous bikes are; a 1983 Seca 900, 1997 Katana 750, 2000 CBR929, 2002 CBR954, and a 2003 ZX6R that was mostly used for track days.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
127 Posts
Just put a deposit down on a 2022 Ninja 1000SX and look forward to getting it. I'm currently riding a 2002 CBR954. At 60 years old, this bike is getting a bit uncomfortable on longer rides (more than 120 miles). My wife also decided to sell her EX-500 and stop riding. Two up on a 954 gets uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. So, we decided on the Ninja 1000.

Previous bikes are; a 1983 Seca 900, 1997 Katana 750, 2000 CBR929, and a 2003 ZX6R that was mostly used for track days.
Welcome! I know there's a few of us interested to see what's actually new with the 2022 - keep us posted when you take delivery.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My wife and I are on the smaller size and fit the N1K well. The only hesitation I would have is if you and the wife are on the large size, the N1K will be a pretty tight fit. Hope you enjoy it and look forward to photos and your new ride report.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife and I are on the smaller size and fit the N1K well. The only hesitation I would have is if you and the wife are on the large size, the N1K will be a pretty tight fit. Hope you enjoy it and look forward to photos and your new ride report.
I'm average size, my wife is small. We used to 2 up easily on the Katana 750.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Former Coloradoan here. This is my VFR800 at the famous Pikes Peak. I've only been on one other road in my life with more hairpin turns than Pikes Peak (and it was also very mountainous).

For years I worked football games at Falcon stadium for the US Air Force Academy. One of the things that made my job there so easy is that the cadets (i.e. students) were always sober and well-behaved (something I can't say about the football games I worked at Colorado and Colorado State).

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Former Coloradoan here. This is my VFR800 at the famous Pikes Peak. I've only been on one other road in my life with more hairpin turns than Pikes Peak (and it was also very mountainous).

For years I worked football games at Falcon stadium for the US Air Force Academy. One of the things that made my job there so easy is that the cadets (i.e. students) were always sober and well-behaved (something I can't say about the football games I worked at Colorado and Colorado State).
Congrats on riding up Pikes Peak. The weather conditions can be very unpredictable up there. I've never ridden up because of that.

We've been in Colorado Springs since 1985. Its changed a lot over the years, but we still enjoy living here.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
127 Posts
We've been in Colorado Springs since 1985. Its changed a lot over the years, but we still enjoy living here.
Guh. It’s not just Springs. Boatloads of transplants from a few specific states have changed the entire state. Just in the past decade, they began driving up real estate ‘cause they could afford it from where they came.

I miss the old days when the front range felt like Colorado. Now it’s beginning to feel like everywhere else. LA, Dallas, Chicago, etc. I have to point my eyes west just to remind myself how beautiful the state is (not that that’s a chore to do). Attitudes have changed. People have changed. Times have changed.

If it weren’t for my Lady, I’d pick up and move to Montana. Or Alaska.

I miss the 70s/80s

I digress. The physical State of Colorado is beautiful. 👍🏻

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
127 Posts
Weather permitting, I’m actually heading out to Steamboat in a couple days for my weekend ride… But now you’ve got me thinking about heading down to Springs instead via the back mountain highways. 😄

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weather permitting, I’m actually heading out to Steamboat in a couple days for my weekend ride… But now you’ve got me thinking about heading down to Springs instead via the back mountain highways. 😄
This time of year Steamboat would be a better choice. Winter is getting close in the mountains, so this may be your last chance to get up there this year. FWIW, I grew up in Steamboat.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Cool! You'll be able to get all your mods done before you can ride again. What a great home base for riding. I could ride those mountains forever (in summer) and do Pike's peak every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool! You'll be able to get all your mods done before you can ride again. What a great home base for riding. I could ride those mountains forever (in summer) and do Pike's peak every couple of weeks.
Not really planning to mod it, just planning to ride it. The winters are nice enough here that I'll be able to get it broken in before the real riding season begins.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not really planning to mod it, just planning to ride it. The winters are nice enough here that I'll be able to get it broken in before the real riding season begins.
Needs new slip on and remove the front reflectors :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I lived in the Springs when Texas Intruments transferred us from Dallas back in 1987. I was there for nine years. I thought to move back two years ago when I moved to Houston. After looking around it's not anything like it was, so I went back south.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I was in the northern part of the state (Loveland) in the early '80s with HP. Took many trips to Springs for training. It was nice back in the day. Last visit to Loveland you couldn't tell where Loveland stops and Ft. Collins starts. Seems like the entire front range is a one giant suburb of Denver now... But the mountain highways and little towns further out/up seemed somewhat unchanged. My last trip back was 2008.

Motorcycle related memories of Colorado: My old carbureted VFRs where wheezing pretty heavily at altitude but the VFR800 took it all in stride... When this pic was taken the last 6 miles to the top were gravel!
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Land vehicle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Colorado is definitely a different place than it was in the 70's and 80's. Almost all the changes since then have made things worse. I know lots of people who've been around all those years, they still act like the Coloradans of yore. spending time with those people makes living here worthwhile.

Being retired also helps. Riding in the mountains during the week is usually pretty quiet. Here's a picture from Deckers on a Thursday in July 2021.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

·
Registered
259 Posts
We'll see. I prefer quiet bikes. Right now I'm just happy it arrived much earlier than expected.
Its not about sound - I have a slip on that is same volume as stock bike but it saved heaps of weight - looks much better. the other thing nearly everyone does it get a touring screen of some kind. other than that I haven't changed anything (Well buying sliders right now as I am laid up until March and have the fairings off cleaning everything so thought why not)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts