Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Exactly, Pete. I think the most important thing with regard to any of this, is fitting the bike to yourself. And get comfortable with it. If theres something that bothers you, change it so its better for you. It's difficult to react appropriately when danger shows itself when you're uncomfortable on your machine.

I won't lie, Chad. I've been surprised a myriad of times since I started riding. It's usually a thing of becoming frustrated or pissed off. Like when a dump truck has a load of uncovered lightweight aggregate that's heaped, and the driver has to slam on the brakes or aggressively change lanes, covering the road in junk. That just gets under my skin like no other. Doesn't take much to slip when there's something slippery or loose between your tires and the pavement. Just have to keep your wits about you.
This. I've learned to become a lot more patient with people when on a bike. In my car? Oh yeah I'm cussing and throwing a fit in my head with a vein about to bulge. Yes patience, being smooth with techniques and muscle memory play a big part of being alive on this bike. I usually never pass anyone on a two lane highway. Did my first pass today. That was a after a lot of patience and having a very clear line of sight and time to do so. I think being 30 and not 22 coming into this as well as being in a few crashes has humbled me to not be super brave.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its good you are coming from dirt bikes, at least you have that experience behind you...I am 61 & cut in & out of traffic all the time, lol, and also love scratching in the hills with a mad mate on the weekends...It all comes down to being completely confident on a bike but without getting cocky...If i felt nervous when i rode or was worried about other road users, i would stop riding because my confidence would be gone...I am constantly aware but never nervous, if that makes sense ? The best way to build confidence & learn the skills you need for the road is to do a couple of track day lessons with ex racers who are now teachers...A rider will learn more skills in one hour on the track with one of these guys than they will accumulate in 10 years of street riding, and will also come away with a lot more confidence & really understand how to enjoy the ability of a motorcycle...Worth every cent, imo...

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
I have found you can't have two techniques. Technique A for normal stops.....B for emergency.

In a real emergency, a person reacts and doesn't have time to think. A person defaults to the bad habits.

Easier said than done with the stock rear brake. Wimpy pads, a bad leverage ratio, and the heavy duty return spring make it difficult to have good feel, and good control. I blame the legal department for that. Especially strange when it's abs equipped. There's no reason that couldn't all work together.

·
Registered
578 Posts
All this "Braking" talk is getting out of hand - You need to practice / practice / practice "Layin her down" - it is the only way to save your self in all situations

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hope everyone doesn't take you seriously, lol...I always laugh when someone says they had to lay the bike down to save themself. It would be more honest to say -- I panicked & completely lost control because i have crap skills...

·
Registered
578 Posts
This stuff reminds me of our police advertising campaign we have up - "Expect the Unexpected" - by definition you cannot expect the unexpected as you were expecting it.

Emergency braking practice is great to let you know what t feels like and how the bike handles in these situations etc - However no one will know how they react in these situations until they react - some people panic - some people stay calm - some people somehow do everything right.

think about the process do I Brake or do I Swerve or do I Freeze up with seconds to decide - I hope none of you ever have to find out how good you really are under immense split second pressure

Reactions: Riv and rcannon409

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
Peter, that's it. If you practice good techniques, that becomes muscle memory. At that point , when you freak out, that's the automatic response.

Abs is a big deal then because it manages the superhuman strength when that freak out happens.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
40 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
I hope everyone doesn't take you seriously, lol...I always laugh when someone says they had to lay the bike down to save themself. It would be more honest to say -- I panicked & completely lost control because i have crap skills...
Yes, and I always ask “how many times have you practiced that maneuver?” You’ve just given up any control you had of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
19 Posts
Wow! That really looks comfy. ;) But at over $600 shipped to Canada I'll pass, or maybe I come out of retirement:unsure: Nah! I'd rather ride😎🏍💨
Yeah a little pricey, but it's quality, and built per order.
Took about 5 weeks from order, to installed.

Mine costs a little more cause I purchased brand new front/rear seats from them instead of sending mine to them to be built, which I did so that I have a backup encase I get a rip or other defect in the seat.

I also made both seats gel, and the rider seat is heated to keep my clam warm in the winter 😏🤣

You could probably get one made without all the bell and whistles like mine for $350 or lower, depends on the material, and design template you pick.

For example, I just picked a style, didn't change the colors, but added gel ....... You'd send your seat in, they'll customize and send back ..... And it came to $317.80

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Slope
Font Parallel Tail Wing Rectangle
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle
Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
40 Posts
But your US$ exchange rate is much better then my CAN$, just saying ;) And, I also would need the heated version, 'cause at my age I don't have to worry about my sperm count anymore:ROFLMAO: but I do like my comfort.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts