Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a deposit down on my new gray/black Ninja 1000. I have not rode it home yet. I plan to pick it up on Thursday because we are supposed to squeeze in a warm day. Hopefully it actually happens.

I have been looking at the N1K for a long time. I just didn't know how I wanted to ride. I used to ride as a kid, and then took a break for 27 years or so. I started out with a Street Triple. I sold it then picked up a 636 which I still have.

I then picked up an fjr1300 because the wife said she wanted to ride but never got her on it. It felt too bulky to me to ride alone, and I wanted something faster. So I sold the fjr and now I have the bike I have been wanting since the beginning. I love the 636 but hate the riding position. I'll probably sell the zx6r in spring though I do love it for what it is.

The Street Triple was very nice, but I realized that I don't want a naked bike. The 636 is good, but I can only ride comfortably for 45 minutes or so. The fjr sold me on the upright position, but just didn't give me the thrill that I get from the 636. I should have bought the N1K when I bought the 636 but I was afraid it would be too much bike for me. Anyway, live and learn I suppose!

I plan to get the ECU flashed by Ivan immediately after I get it home. I also want to get Acropovic headers at least, but don't necessarily like the look of big cans, so I may get the V&H pipes with them. I am excited for spring this year!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welcome! Another triple owner here: '08 Daytona 675 :). The most fun bike I've ever had! Then again, the N1K is a much better all-rounder.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
triumph

Welcome! Another triple owner here: '08 Daytona 675 :). The most fun bike I've ever had! Then again, the N1K is a much better all-rounder.
The Street III was a fun bike. It was precise, fast, and easy to ride. I never grew to love the looks, but I did love the bike. Based on it, I have no doubt that the Daytona is a very nice motorcycle. I think it is one of the better looking bikes available.

I think I am just done with that riding position. It is not just because of my neck and back exactly (old age). I don't like the decrease in visibility both in front and behind me. When you sit up it is much easier to see around any cars/obstacles in your way, and it is much easier to check your blind spot behind you too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL The hot supermodel on the side. Not the one you marry but do keep around for a long time :D 47k and counting :)
Sounds like a serious relationship to me. I seem to get about 2k before wanting to move on. I am sure the N1k is going to be my soulmate. :D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sounds like a serious relationship to me. I seem to get about 2k before wanting to move on. I am sure the N1k is going to be my soulmate. :D
I absolutely L-O-V-E the triple! I'll keep it around another 15k orso and more than likely just get another one. If it had the comfort and brakes of the N1K, it would be the ultimate motorcycle!

In terms of smiles per mile, the N1K can't beat it but then again, I can ride a whole lot more miles on the N1K and that's exactly why I bought it :). It's still a lot of fun but you can also relax and enjoy some touring if you want to. The Daytona is more "GO" all the time.

You'll enjoy the N1K. It really does everything well; a pretty unique combo not found in many bikes.

·
Registered
828 Posts
2k mile is about 10 days of normal riding for me. I do about 1500 on a weekend for my previous commute and then another few hundred throughout the week. Heck, at 2k it is barely broken in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2k mile is about 10 days of normal riding for me. I do about 1500 on a weekend for my previous commute and then another few hundred throughout the week. Heck, at 2k it is barely broken in.
Yea I agree that 2k isn't much. It seems to be just at the point where I have a good feel for the bike, and up to now, it has been where I have decided to part ways with it. I rode my N1K home just a bit ago. We are having a freak 50 degree day here in Missouri.

Here she is:

N1k.jpg

I had meetings scheduled, so I didn't get to go but about 15 miles. I can't wait to put on more!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am surprised mostly by the stock sound. It has a nice rumble even as is. I bet it sounds amazing with a good pipe on it. My ZX6R sounded like a sewing machine with the stock can. The bike feels high/taller for some reason even though the seat is lower than my ZX6R and about the same as the FJR. I don't like the stock levers, they feel huge for some reason. That may be the first thing I change after I ship off the ECU to Ivan. That wasn't part of the plan so I want to ride it a bit more before I decide. The stock seat feels like it is likely to not be all that comfortable but we will see what a few hundred miles brings. The engine even at 4k rpm hints at some nice power. Shifting is already nice and smooth, so I can only imagine how they will be after break-in and some synthetic. Anyway, I am pretty excited!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Love the black! You're right about the seat. Not great and it doesn't really get any better either.

The levers do feel huge indeed. I'll probably change mine to some shorty's at some point. Just not a huge priority.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yea I agree that 2k isn't much. It seems to be just at the point where I have a good feel for the bike, and up to now, it has been where I have decided to part ways with it. I rode my N1K home just a bit ago. We are having a freak 50 degree day here in Missouri.

Here she is:

View attachment 4794

I had meetings scheduled, so I didn't get to go but about 15 miles. I can't wait to put on more!
great color combo,i like it so much I bought one too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great color combo,i like it so much I bought one too.
The color is more interesting in person because it is grey/black. It just looks black in the pictures mostly, but in person (depending on the light) it can show the grey a lot better.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Best bike

Here she is:

View attachment 4794

Good looking bike! I have one just like it, which now has ~18K miles in a little over one year. Mods include bar risers and lowered pegs, OEM bags, and Powerlet jacks for heated gear in winter and GPS. Near future mods include 16-tooth front sprocket along with new chain (same-tooth new rear sprocket), headlight upgrade to dual projectors and possible new mufflers ...although I don't hate the stock cans, actually.

I enjoy the N1K a lot. I typically ride year 'round (on Saturdays), weather permitting, plus summer extended trips around the West. Still managed to add up the miles because it's such a good sport-touring platform.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good looking bike! I have one just like it, which now has ~18K miles in a little over one year. Mods include bar risers and lowered pegs, OEM bags, and Powerlet jacks for heated gear in winter and GPS. Near future mods include 16-tooth front sprocket along with new chain (same-tooth new rear sprocket), headlight upgrade to dual projectors and possible new mufflers ...although I don't hate the stock cans, actually.

I enjoy the N1K a lot. I typically ride year 'round (on Saturdays), weather permitting, plus summer extended trips around the West. Still managed to add up the miles because it's such a good sport-touring platform.
Good looking bike! Those bags really look good! I am jealous. For $1200 though I think I would rather have some headers, pipes & reflash. One of these days though I'll have them. Cool top case too, which one is that? The screen looks good too. The stock one doesn't seem to offer much wind protection. Which one are you using? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts