Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the last 2015 in black and grey that was left in a tri-state radius for a good deal.

I love the bike as my transition over from a cruiser background. Currently ride this Ninja 1K and a Honda VTX1800T, so I have the best of both touring worlds (although the Ninja is a lot more sport than touring which is one of the reasons I wanted it!)

There is a lot of good info here. Now if I could just find a 2015 service manual available for free or low cost....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here she is. Just did the first service myself and looking forward to installing my Urban Brawlers that are on the way. Only other mods so far are tank grip and a Yoshimura fender eliminator kit.

Any other recommendations for aftermarket parts or your favorite mods would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here she is. Just did the first service myself and looking forward to installing my Urban Brawlers that are on the way. Only other mods so far are tank grip and a Yoshimura fender eliminator kit.

Any other recommendations for aftermarket parts or your favorite mods would be appreciated.
Welcome and nice looking bike! I have the Yoshi FE on its way too. I put one on my 636 and thought it looked pretty good. I like the look of the Brawlers best, but I have some headers arriving soon and I think that combination would probably draw too much unwanted attention from the police. Consequently I have not figured out yet what I am doing for cans.

I just installed the Murph's risers, and I like them for my body position but it certainly does a strange thing to the clutch lever angle. There are threads about this here. I love the look of my Puig screen, but it doesn't do much over stock for wind protection in my opinion. There seem to be a couple other options more suited to touring, though they suffer in the looks department (IMO). I'll probably stick with my Puig for around town, but if I manage to get time for touring, I'll pick up one of the others. A chain oiler is probably something to consider. I bought the Cobrra Nemo 2 in a group buy here.

If you want to lighten your wallet further/faster, you can look at Ivan's Performance products. The ECU flash is highly regarded. There are lots of threads on this. My ECU is with Ivan now. You can also change out your clutch for a slipper clutch which a few here have pioneered. I don't mind the clutch so much but when you hit a road with lights every couple of blocks for a mile it would be nice.

Anyway, enjoy the site. There are lots of helpful and knowledgeable folks on here.

·
Registered
456 Posts

A Sargent or custom seat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have many upgrades (ecu reflash, Bazazz fueler, full ss Akra exhaust, Murph's risers, pegs lowered, puig windscreen, t rex sliders, integrated tail light, and more), but the absolute best and cheapest mod: change to a 16 teeth countershaft sprocket.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome and nice looking bike! I have the Yoshi FE on its way too. I put one on my 636 and thought it looked pretty good. I like the look of the Brawlers best, but I have some headers arriving soon and I think that combination would probably draw too much unwanted attention from the police. Consequently I have not figured out yet what I am doing for cans.

I just installed the Murph's risers, and I like them for my body position but it certainly does a strange thing to the clutch lever angle. There are threads about this here. I love the look of my Puig screen, but it doesn't do much over stock for wind protection in my opinion. There seem to be a couple other options more suited to touring, though they suffer in the looks department (IMO). I'll probably stick with my Puig for around town, but if I manage to get time for touring, I'll pick up one of the others. A chain oiler is probably something to consider. I bought the Cobrra Nemo 2 in a group buy here.

If you want to lighten your wallet further/faster, you can look at Ivan's Performance products. The ECU flash is highly regarded. There are lots of threads on this. My ECU is with Ivan now. You can also change out your clutch for a slipper clutch which a few here have pioneered. I don't mind the clutch so much but when you hit a road with lights every couple of blocks for a mile it would be nice.

Anyway, enjoy the site. There are lots of helpful and knowledgeable folks on here.
My ECU is arriving back from Ivan today! I had the full Ivan treatment done on my old FZ1 including Graves full exhaust system, airbox mod, PCIII, and ECU, but on the N1K I'm leaving all the air and exhaust alone and just doing the ECU. I loved the FZ1, but boy was it loud and fuel mileage really suffered.

Now that I have a dedicated track bike I want to leave the Ninja a little more commuter friendly, meaning tolerable around the neighborhood and hopefully keeping the nice 200 mile range I have on it between fueling stops.

Has anyone else out there done only the ECU mod, and if so, what if anything has happened to your MPG?

·
Registered
828 Posts
With the ECU, I saw a slight increase in mileage on the highway. OTOH, it is more fun to ride, more low end TQ, so I sometimes would exercise my right hand a bit more.

Overall running costs have clearly gone down since I can run 89 octane fuel. That saves a bit and with the generally better mileage, I am pretty happy.

Sadly though my car is getting about 20% mileage than my Ninja.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I picked up the last 2015 in black and grey that was left in a tri-state radius for a good deal.

I love the bike as my transition over from a cruiser background. Currently ride this Ninja 1K and a Honda VTX1800T, so I have the best of both touring worlds (although the Ninja is a lot more sport than touring which is one of the reasons I wanted it!)

There is a lot of good info here. Now if I could just find a 2015 service manual available for free or low cost....
I must have got the second to last :) picked up the same bike about 4 weeks ago.
Welcome.

·
Registered
370 Posts
And I bought one of the first '15 N1Ks back in November of 2014. I have just over 20,000 miles on it now. I transitioned from a Honda ST1300, which I thought was the essence of sport touring (its name). I enjoyed the ST and put a lot of great miles on it. It was more touring than sport. The ST can corner but it's more work and not like the N1K. It is over 200 pounds heavier than the Ninja. Originally I thought I'd ride both in equal amounts, but each time I planned to ride the Ninja was the bike that called to me and the ST turned into a garage queen. So, I added the KQR OEM panniers and some other mods to make the Ninja a better sport touring bike, emphasis on sport this time. In a week, I'm selling the ST to someone who can give it a good home ...and ride it. The Ninja keeps getting better and better for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcomes.

Got the Urban Brawlers installed yesterday. I am pretty happy with the sound. It quiets down nicely at highway speeds for touring.

I have a Puig dark smoke windscreen and some Kawa green reflective rim tape (by Tapeworks) on the way.

Other mods I am looking into (feel free to make suggestions) : integrated taillight, shogun protection kit, front and rear stands.

Also, of course after reading around this forum, I am very interested in the Ivan's reflash. With only slip ons and a BMC air filter, what exactly would I need from him? How much?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts