Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the weekend I got my hard bags installed.

First of all, let me say going from no bags to bags.. Amazing difference.. Might be in my head but the bike felt a ton more stable with the bags on? Strange as ****..

Anyway, i'm on the way home and the inevitable traffic backup occurs.. So.. being in california I proceed to "Lane Split" (Filter) up this long line of cars that are leading up to a stoplight.

Well some crazy crackhead really was not having it, and luckily I had the bikers "intuition" and just knew this car may be trouble judging by the way they were jerking on the brakes.

I get near the front and start to approach this vehicle and the guy looks over his shoulder and sees me clear as day, and then proceeds to shimmy his car over to the left blocking the middle of the lane, literally right at the last second..

Thank god for ABS, I grab a handful of front and mash the rear and ended up with a little powerslide and my back right bag clipped his fender.

So at this point all the traffic is stopped and i'm now stopped near the car. So at this point im getting off the bike because im about to hulk smash this idiot for trying to kill me and the lady from the car behind was out there saying "I saw it all he tried to hit you!" .. Well the dude must have heard that because he gunned his car and turned around in the middle of other traffic and took off the other direction almost crashing 2 other cars coming the other way...

Car was a beater with no plates.. Didn't even bother calling the sheriff because it would be a waste..

Damage was a scuffed bag that literally was 2 hours old. The good news is its hard to see so no pics of it.. But for fun I will throw in some pics of the installed bags :p Oh and yea I just ordered a GoPro...... Time to get Video..

·
Registered
370 Posts
So over the weekend I got my hard bags installed.

First of all, let me say going from no bags to bags.. Amazing difference.. Might be in my head but the bike felt a ton more stable with the bags on? Strange as ****..
I noticed the same thing when I got the KQR bags mounted on my 2015 N1K. Additionally, I noticed a little better fuel mileage and less vibration in the foot pegs. My theory is that the bag made the bike more streamlined overall, even though the bags stick out beyond the rider's body somewhat. I also think the way the lower mount on the bags connects into the subframe, the bags act as a vibration dampener in some magical way. I ride with bags on all the time. They are perfect for this bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed the same thing when I got the KQR bags mounted on my 2015 N1K. Additionally, I noticed a little better fuel mileage and less vibration in the foot pegs. My theory is that the bag made the bike more streamlined overall, even though the bags stick out beyond the rider's body somewhat. I also think the way the lower mount on the bags connects into the subframe, the bags act as a vibration dampener in some magical way. I ride with bags on all the time. They are perfect for this bike.
OMI - what is that Back Case and top case you have?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
You sure are calm about it! If I couldn't have caught him, I would certainly have let the cops know about it. No plates, and tries to hit a rider? :mad: That a-hole needs to be removed from the road ASAP. I have zero tolerance for wannabe road police, those are the most dangerous fools on the road, alongside drunks and texters. And not just dangerous to riders either, they can cause nasty wrecks for cagers as well.

Glad to hear you came out unscathed though!

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Don't feel bad... I did the same thing splitting lanes the first day and my bag hit a guys bumper. My fault though... we pulled over and he had so little damage he just let me go. I covered the scratch with some of that black 3m reflective tape. I was going to put some on the bags anyway. Lesson learned... gotta watch out for those bags!

·
Registered
370 Posts
OMI - what is that Back Case and top case you have?
They are SW-MOTECH products. Both Revzilla and Twisted Throttle carry them. The tank bag is the small model. The tail bag is a little harder to find, but is still sold. I like the look of it on the bike. It is a great design and holds a lot of stuff, but requires two bungie cords and straps to mount on the N1K. I've actually switched to a Kawasaki brand tail bag that fits onto the rear seat only.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are SW-MOTECH products. Both Revzilla and Twisted Throttle carry them. The tank bag is the small model. The tail bag is a little harder to find, but is still sold. I like the look of it on the bike. It is a great design and holds a lot of stuff, but requires two bungie cords and straps to mount on the N1K. I've actually switched to a Kawasaki brand tail bag that fits onto the rear seat only.
Yeah I dont want bungies.. I have a rear case that has bungies and its flimsy and slides around too much..

Thx for the info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Those hard bags look great and I'm glad you are okay. I want a set but I can't get over the cost of those bags. The original bike that I was going to buy, a 2012 with 3000 miles had the bags but they sold it before I put the deposit down the next day. The dealer had the bike for a year and as soon as I decided to buy it, they sold it 15 min before I got to the dealership. What's the chances of that? lol The bike that I bought had less miles, a year newer and was about $700 cheaper, but I would have rather had the bags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love your setup and color--I have exactly the same.

Going from having no luggage to the ability to carry a carton of eggs home from the grocery store has been a game changer for me also.

A little disappointed in the key locks being a bit of a pain, but all else gets top marks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those hard bags look great and I'm glad you are okay. I want a set but I can't get over the cost of those bags. The original bike that I was going to buy, a 2012 with 3000 miles had the bags but they sold it before I put the deposit down the next day. The dealer had the bike for a year and as soon as I decided to buy it, they sold it 15 min before I got to the dealership. What's the chances of that? lol The bike that I bought had less miles, a year newer and was about $700 cheaper, but I would have rather had the bags.
Yeah the cost is high, but after I saw them on and looked at the FIT, Ease of taking them off, how much they really center the bike up and are wonderfully engineered bags.. Totally worth the cost IMO.. I bought the whole shebang, Bags, Key Locks, color match etc.. Couldn't be happier with the way it turned out..

You can get them cheaper from many places online.. They are a direct bolt on where your OEM Grab handles go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts