Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2020 Ninja 1000sx, I'm having some serious problems when shifting from first to second gear. The bike shifts into Neutral from first therefore reving the engine up significantly. First couple of times I thought I was doing something wrong, but I wasn't. I've been riding for more than 40 years and never had this problem. The bike also shuts off, when taking of from a standstill ,uphill, even with a slow release of the clutch and with extra throttle. I need to contact Kawasaki or my dealer for a response to these issues.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
226 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the gear lever? Loosen the nuts on the gear lever rod and shorten the distance so that the gear lever lowers below the foot rest.

I have switched to GP shifting on my bike and really like it. I rarely miss a shift when pressing the lever down to get to the next higher gear.

·
Registered
303 Posts
This is the first time I have heard of these issues on a 2020. It should still be under warranty so if it were me, the first place I would go is a Kawasaki Service Center. The Kawasaki Quick Shifter linkage is a bit different that the typical solid linkage. I have had neither of these issues with my 2020 (I know that is no help!).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried adjusting the gear lever? Loosen the nuts on the gear lever rod and shorten the distance so that the gear lever lowers below the foot rest.

I have switched to GP shifting on my bike and really like it. I rarely miss a shift when pressing the lever down to get to the next higher gear.
Thank you Fast Ninja, I will try adjusting the gear lever. Ride safe.(y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi All, interesting post. Do you think a 2020 1K sx can be flipped to the GP shifting or would the QS not allow such a flip, due to push / pull settings?
Otherwise I may adjust my shifter for less up shift action and may look into a murphy bearing (just cause it's a cheap upgrade).

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
226 Posts
The reverse shifter I have came from Sato Racing, Part#: K-250RS-CHAM-L. Fits my 2014 N1K, even though the part description says Ninja 250/300.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bob, gp shifting is oposite......one up, and five down. It's easy to do, through the shift linkage.
On my 2017, there is not enough clearance to turn the lever at the gearbox 180 deg... Needs modifications and/or replacement parts.
Easiest option seems to be to replace the shift lever with one that has the linkage connection at 12 O'clock position instead of the current 6 O'clock.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
@Dirty Harry Potter you might douple check that your not preloading pressure onto the shifter. I dont know what the mechanical reason for is but I've found that when I have new boots that dont flex as easy I'm more prone to miss a shift. At first thinking it was being to soft on the shift but latter realizing it was preloading. Since then I've learned to adjust the shifter up till the boots loosen up.
I would say the N1K is one of the better bikes I've ridden as far miss shifts, although I did feel the trans was a little clunky when I ran Rotella T6.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
Naren, the easiest and cheapest way is to buy the sato racing piece that's mentioned in the post that's right above yours. That Sato piece does exactly what you said.

I doubt its compatible with a quick shifter as its motion would be backwards from stock, for any given gear change.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you buy it, you HAVE to post a picture....its a requirement, I think....or should be. Its gets talked about, often, but i dontt think we have seen a picture with it installed.
Pics for sure... IF I can get my hands on one without having to pay a premium on shipping
I cannot find it anywhere in India (that was kinda expected)... Sato Racing has all of maybe 4 dealers in Asia.. (Korea, HongKong, Taiwan, Vietnam, ...)
Shipping the part for the US always costs an arm and a leg...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Possibly the "positive neutral finder" isn't working properly ie is (partially) engaging when the bike is moving.
I'd get the dealer to look into it since its under warranty. And since I have no clue how this "magic" works :)

I've never encountered a "positive neutral finder" on any other brands' bikes that I have ridden, and wouldn't have been aware of its existence on my Ninja1000 if a buddy hadn't mentioned it as a Kawi feature.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
226 Posts
Here is a picture of the reverse shifter.
913139F6-867A-4A48-A697-7A520EDAB3D2.jpeg
4EFE85CC-34F0-40D0-8A6E-5E81C583E7A3.jpeg

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
416 Posts
Possibly the "positive neutral finder" isn't working properly ie is (partially) engaging when the bike is moving.
I'd get the dealer to look into it since its under warranty. And since I have no clue how this "magic" works :)

I've never encountered a "positive neutral finder" on any other brands' bikes that I have ridden, and wouldn't have been aware of its existence on my Ninja1000 if a buddy hadn't mentioned it as a Kawi feature.
Kawasaki's "positive neutral finder" is a neat feature in that will not allow you to select 2nd gear from 1st gear when the bike is stopped.

Some manufactures/brand of motorcycles require a degree of expertise in order to select neutral. Not kawasaki, just down-shift into 1st as you come to a stop, then once the bike is stopped, up-shift into neutral.

The way it works is that there are three steel balls in a grove on the output shaft that block the gear slider from moving toward 2nd gear. Then, as the output shaft spins as the bike moves forward, centrifugal force spins the ball outward into blind hole in the slider allowing free moment into 2nd gear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the explanation @Murphyau - I wondered how it worked.

Getting back to the OP's issue, could there be an issue with 1 or more of the steel balls not moving far enough when the bike is moving, which would result in the bike blocking - or partially blocking and making difficult - the OP's attempt to upshift from 1st to 2nd?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts