Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was standing on my porch about to go for a ride when I watched my neighbour walk past my bike, get into her car and back up straight into my bike. We aren't talking a slight bump, she hit it like she had no idea it wasn't there.. It fell over, the kickstand embedded itself into the bumper of her car.

She then put the car into drive and drove off dragging my bike 30 feet down the road. I suspect she knew full well she had hit it and was just trying to flee the scene. Of course my kickstand was having none of that...

Anyhow, here is the damage:

Snapped the mirror and the exhaust is pretty scratched up..

The fairings are scratched as well. This bike is a 2013 with about 15K miles on it. I suspect the insurance will write it off.

Grrrrr

I am fairly certain the insurance company will write this off. I like this bike. So I am thinking of taking the money, buying the bike off the insurance company and just replace the clutch cover, mirror and get another clutch cover protector. Assuming it makes financial sense, what do you think ? Do you think it being dragged behind a car may have bent the frame or something else I didn't think ?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
870 Posts
LOL... that kick stand jab sure looks like your bike going... "uh, uhh... you're not getting away, *&^%$#"

That R&G case guard did an admirable job but just couldn't hold on quite long enough. Pin a posthumous medal on that soldier.

If you like the bike, this is one of those that might be worth buying back from your insurance company. Most of the damage is either easily fixed or easily ignored. I've bought salvage title vehicle before. Just know that you'll likely own it for the rest of its natural life.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
I agree. Some crashed bikes are high risk. They dont like front end impacts. this doesn't look that bad. I wonder what she thought when she realized the bike was following her?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree. Some crashed bikes are high risk. They dont like front end impacts. this doesn't look that bad. I wonder what she thought when she realized the bike was following her?
I strongly suspect she was hoping that it would just let go so she could leave. The first thing she said to me when I walked over was to ask that I unhook the bike from her bumper so she could leave. By then I had already started snapping photos and said I wasn't going to unhook the bike and if she fled, I was calling the cops. But she still persisted that I let her go. Seriously ?

Compare that to a few years ago when a taxi cab driver clipped my bike, knocked it over and he proceeded to ask everyone around if they knew the owner. Finally he called the cops, the cops knocked on my door and the cabbie apologized.. So there are decent people in the world.. it's just not this particular woman.

Ok, I am going to wait for the insurance but I am fairly certain I am going to keep this bike. New clutch cover, gasket and mirror are < $500.

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
If you are going to buy one expensive mirror, anyway, consider getting 2. When you do, upgrade to the 2014 and newer mirrors. The new mirrors are a decent upgrade. Expensive, but worth it. It's just not worth paying full price for the old mirror. If the new mirror rates 75 on the zero-100 scale, the old mirror is a 25-30, at best.

I havent found a good way to try and tie in possible clutch damage. A damaged pressure plate would be a nice start towards the slipper upgrade. It's not damaged, but insurance adjusters can be led down strange paths....

I was going to suggest gb racing covers. I think they are thick enough to where they might not have burned through. Then again, I the cost for one damaged gb cover would buy a new clutch cover. They are expensive.

Maybe the cover doesnt even get replaced? The paint is about as good as a 20.00 wal mart bbq. If you dont see oil?

How dare you NOT understand that her time is quite a bit more important than yours....maybe the insurance needs to set aside 500, or so, for sensitivity training? Or, parking therapy where they teach you not to park behind important ladies?

I remember rolling up on a van that had tipped over, during a crash. The guy was with his wife. They were from Canada, too.

When his airbag blew, it destroyed his wrist. His poor hand was flopping around. I grabbed both pieces of his arm and set him down. He was calm and not the least bit upset. He asked if we had enough people here to flip his van back on its wheels. I wonder if this lady was in shock? Unable to comprehend what really happened and having this desire to get things back to what they were supposed to be?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Cases like this is why I never go without uninsured motorist. Years ago, one of my bikes got knocked over in front of an Academy store. By the time I came out, the guilty party was long gone. In addition to the scrapes on the down side, there were also some rub marks on the up side. Judging from where those rub marks are, it was likely a tall pickup truck. Called my insurance co and explained what I saw. They had no problem covering the damages but wanted to put in under my collision clause. I told them I had read the fine print on my policy and was quite sure this should be covered under the "uninsured motorist" clause. She put me on hold briefly then came back to tell me they agree. Not only was my deductible lower on that clause, chalking it up as collision might later be construed as me being at fault... with all the negative consequences.

By the way, if you are gonna buy another clutch cover protector, why not just leave the scraped up clutch cover as is? It doesn't look abraded enough to cause oil leaks or anything more serious, so mainly just a cosmetic thing. If so, then a new protector would take care of that. Only you would know there's a scrape underneath. That was what I did with the VFR1200F.

Reactions: Crawsack

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way, if you are gonna buy another clutch cover protector, why not just leave the scraped up clutch cover as is? It doesn't look abraded enough to cause oil leaks or anything more serious, so mainly just a cosmetic thing. If so, then a new protector would take care of that. Only you would know there's a scrape underneath. That was what I did with the VFR1200F.
That's not a bad idea.

The insurance adjuster called and, surprise, it's not my fault. As a result, I don't have a deductible to pay. They are going to send over someone to give an estimate. It looks like they will pay someone to tow it to my local garage and they will assess if it is worth to fix or not. If they deem it's not worth to fix, I will most likely buy it back from them and then simply replace the mirror and probably just put another R&G clutch cover protector on.. I will debate about replacing the clutch cover.. My fear is that metal is fairly thin and it won't take much for me to punch a hole in it.. Even with the protector.. And if I walk away with a few thousand after the buy out from the insurance company, it might not be a bad idea to replace a few parts and keep riding this bike.

I've been searching the web here for another bike and honestly, I really like this one !

Insurance adjuster told me that almost all accidents involving a motorcycle where the motorcyclist was not involved, the car usually flees the scene. I guess I am naive. I was hoping for more from my fellow citizens.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Insurance adjuster told me that almost all accidents involving a motorcycle where the motorcyclist was not involved, the car usually flees the scene. I guess I am naive. I was hoping for more from my fellow citizens.
I asked my State Farm agent of 35 years why my uninsured motorist coverage was so high and he had to ask corporate. SF said 65% of all motorcycle accidents are hit and run which fall under the uninsured motorist.

This actually happened to me many years ago in college. I was shopping and a car pulled into the parking spot where the bike was parked. I came back to a bike on the side and a couple people picking it up. Turns out small town shop owner saw it happen, ran out as car was driving away, got the plate number and called the cops. The guy was arrested 250 miles away and brought back facing hit-n-run + his insurance paid the $75 to fix my bike. (Dirt bikes were cheap and easy to fix in 1970.)

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
When you guys go to a store, where do you park? With this topic in mind....you cant park anywhere near the cars. If you do, its on you as Kenors 65% speaks to.

I park where the bicycles park, if possible. Always on concrete. When it gets up around 100, kickstand sink in the black, parking lots.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I always park at the back, away from all the cars. I don't leave my bike for more than an hour. And the only time the ZX10R is stopped is at a gas station

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I often park in painted out areas that cars can't park in or far away from vehicles. Often it's off in the shade somewhere. I don't have to worry as much about soft blacktop up here but on southern trips it's an issue. If the store employs folks who bike to work I look for where the bikes are parked. Some places actually have mc parking like where I worked they had a large concrete pad marked for bikes in the parking lot. In parallel parking situations I always park perpendicular to the curb, front-end out and near the middle of the spot. One would think that would give lots of space to be seen. It's only failed once since 1969.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
I've never lost this bike, on blacktop, but the c14 ripped a nice chunk out of a local target store.

Locally, I've never seen a motorcycle parking area that wasnt at a motorcycle shop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Holy hell, your neighbor is something else! That'd make me nervous to live near her with that kind of disregard and disrespect. I'd expect someone to be apologizing profusely if they did that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts