Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
The sv650 is very versatile so I want my new bike to offer me things that the sv can’t. Do you think owning the sv650 and a ninja 1000 may be redundant?
I personally think the N1k is a "do it all" bike. People track it, I tour it and twisty it. I'm getting old and my SPORT touring is turning into Sport Touring but for my local favorite roads the bags are off. Longer trips (no freeways, TYVM) the bags often get dropped at the motel (campsite) and local favorite roads get the "bagless" treatment. Not that the bags really get in the way but in the twisties, you will feel the extra weight. My Ninja gets used for long tours, short tours, local errands, lunch 100+ miles away. It would be a daily commuter but I'm retired.

$IMHO on$
That said, keeping two bikes is really up to you. I'm not sure about now but 10-15 years ago there was a huge SV650 contingent that raced these bikes. Way cheaper/simpler to do than with a literbike and the SV is a bike someone can really push the limits on. Most literbikes (N1k included) have limits so far out we aren't really testing them -or- if we are testing them, especially on the road, we're seconds away from being way over our capabilities. (speaking for myself) I'm not one keeping something just for the sake of having it. If I was, there would be a well used 1998 VFR sitting beside the Ninja in the garage. But others have amazing collections of bikes. Some switch off riding all of them. Lots of reasons to collect anything. What do YOU think?

One further thought...keep them both. A year from now see if one is covered with dust and maybe decide it can find a home elsewhere. Or are you thinking "I rode that one a couple days. I really wanna ride the other one to..."

Reactions: NRider1144

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great post, Ken!

Agree 100%

Having once owned an FJR1300 - which I found to be dreadfully heavy, the Ninja 1000 feels sportier than most anything that I've spent any time on, while still being tolerable for a half day or more of riding.

Where I live there are very few curvy roads, and the few we have are mostly high speed sweepers - that are outside of town and require a good ride to get to. When I see all of the super sport and "pure" sports bikes parked at one of the local stops close to me - I can't help but wonder how many of them are ridden anywhere near their handling capabilities.

Don't get me wrong - If I lived where I went to college in eastern TN in the Smoky Mountains, with some of the best sport bike riding in the country IMHO - I would probably have a lighter and sportier dedicated hardcore twisty riding machine parked in my garage - but for the riding that most of us do, and the roads that most of us have available near where we live, I daresay it's hard to beat the Ninja 1k.

;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I do not think you will be dissapointed in the power. Rolling into it in sixth gear at 70-80 mph still amazes me.
My only comment on this is "If you don't know better" OP seems to be looking for ball tearing acceleration and torque and whilst the N!K is no slouch and whilst it will be a substantial power increase from SV650 it is no H2 or R1 it is not in the supersport class. I fear when he gets used to the increase from the SV650 it will once again seem tame to him. Sometimes you just have to admit that you need to get the supersport out of your system to see how they are not needed.
Many of the commenters here are comparing their N1K to the supersports they have or have ridden he still will not have had the supersport fix in getting this - that's why I run 2 bikes

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My only comment on this is "If you don't know better" OP seems to be looking for ball tearing acceleration and torque and whilst the N!K is no slouch and whilst it will be a substantial power increase from SV650 it is no H2 or R1 it is not in the supersport class. I fear when he gets used to the increase from the SV650 it will once again seem tame to him. Sometimes you just have to admit that you need to get the supersport out of your system to see how they are not needed.
Many of the commenters here are comparing their N1K to the supersports they have or have ridden he still will not have had the supersport fix in getting this - that's why I run 2 bikes
Thank you Minlak, this is a great perspective and i think aptly describes my predicament. I will be spending the next week thinking hard about my decision. worst case scenario, i forego the Ninja 1000 and shell out the cash for the bike i've always wanted - the gsxr1000r. i believe you're absolutely right that i will eventually realize how unecessary it is and then i will feel much better about going back to something more practical. Thank you again for the insight.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That’s wild. They quoted me cheaper insurance for the gsxr1000r as well. I don’t get it
I will admit I do not understand USA insurance at all (like seriously some of the YouTube stuff I watch I don't get it WTF USA) but here in Aus once you pop over 1000cc the rates change a lot - The GSR is actually sub 1000 cc (I think) - Also there may be a lot more claims on the N1K as it is used for a lot more kms overall in a year I suspect than a GSXR

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thank you Minlak, this is a great perspective and i think aptly describes my predicament. I will be spending the next week thinking hard about my decision. worst case scenario, i forego the Ninja 1000 and shell out the cash for the bike i've always wanted - the gsxr1000r. i believe you're absolutely right that i will eventually realize how unecessary it is and then i will feel much better about going back to something more practical. Thank you again for the insight.
You will get "WAR STORIES" all day from the people in here and they are the greatest bunch of people (well maybe not RC but anyway :) ) and their experiences are from just that lots of experience - Whilst it may save you money in reality - it won't whilst you have the supersport scratch to itch - been there done that myself and I ride with one guy (like some of them here) that is just nuts on a bike he has a 2018 N1K and outrides most of the guys in the twisties even on Aprilla's R1's etc as corner speed is corner speed (if there is only small straights and its all corners those guys aren't getting any HP advantage around the corners). he had a worked Busa he used to ride and is seriously quick but has already lined up to replace his 2018 with my 2021 when I sell it as he like me just don't want the supersports - but as I said we have been there done that

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have owned a bunch of super sports (and still own two). The Ninja (we previously had a 2012 and now a 2023) is (IMHO) easier to ride fast than any other bike we have owned. The torque is massive at low revs and this is much more useful, especially on the street. The Ninja may outweigh some super sports, but you are not going to notice the weight. I’d be really surprised if you are disappointed. It sounds like you might need to ride a super sport liter bike to get it out of your system, but trust me that the N1K is a much better street bike.

·
Registered
482 Posts
once you pop over 1000cc the rates change a lot - The GSR is actually sub 1000 cc (I think)
Exactly this. I looked into this exact thing quite a lot when I was shopping around. The N1K insurance is higher because it's got 44 more cc's than the 999cc GSXR. Doesn't matter that the GSXR is more likely to get you killed. Insurance is stupid like that.

Anyway, I had a similar predicament when I was shopping for my bike. At the time, I was riding a Ninja 650 (very similar to the SV650), and while I enjoyed it, I wanted more. So I started looking around. The 1000cc supersports were well out of my price range, but the 600 cc supersports were easily within. I went to a few Kawasaki Demo Days and rode the ZX6R and Ninja 1000sx back to back. Now let me preface this by saying: I'm 6'4" tall (a little over 193cm). When I rode the ZX6R I didn't get out of the parking lot before I knew I'd be buying the 1000sx. The difference in comfort was that great.

That having been said, there is still a small part of me that wishes I'd gotten the supersport. I know it was the wrong bike for me, and yet I still kinda want that feeling. At the end of the day, you gotta figure out what you're ok with compromising. I didn't want to compromise comfort, so I chose the 1000sx.

Reactions: Minlak

·
Registered
121 Posts
My opinion... you mentioned the gsxr is the bike you've always wanted... get it.

Otherwise, you'll still be wanting it. I traded my commuter and long distance bike (2017 zx-10r) for my 2020 1000sx. Even though the sx is a really good bike, I miss my zx-10r.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have a Ninja 1000 and a ZX10R. I bought the N1K first, and even after putting the full system and Ivan's flash on it, I still had the superbike itch so I bought the 10R. The N1K is a much more practical bike, cheaper to run, and still rips (140hp will do that). But the ZX10R just has something about it thats more appealing to me. But only buy the supersport if you have the roads and tracks to ride like a maniac. It's torture riding below 60 mph. And it's terrible for riding more than 3 hours...but its just cool 😎

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have a Ninja 1000 and a ZX10R. I bought the N1K first, and even after putting the full system and Ivan's flash on it, I still had the superbike itch so I bought the 10R. The N1K is a much more practical bike, cheaper to run, and still rips (140hp will do that). But the ZX10R just has something about it thats more appealing to me. But only buy the supersport if you have the roads and tracks to ride like a maniac. It's torture riding below 60 mph. And it's terrible for riding more than 3 hours...but its just cool 😎
thats a good point. that is exactly my concern with getting a liter super sport. i know it'll be fun taking into the mountains and the pristine country roads i have near me, but any time i am casually cruising through town, is it just obnoxious and frustrating to operate? i do still plan to keep the sv650 if i buy something bigger. but if i got the ninja1000, i am almost certain, ill still be ledt craving more power until i've gotten a chance to really experience it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
thats a good point. that is exactly my concern with getting a liter super sport. i know it'll be fun taking into the mountains and the pristine country roads i have near me, but any time i am casually cruising through town, is it just obnoxious and frustrating to operate? i do still plan to keep the sv650 if i buy something bigger. but if i got the ninja1000, i am almost certain, ill still be ledt craving more power until i've gotten a chance to really experience it.
It certainly is frustrating in stop and go traffic, as your upper body gets tired and your back starts to hurt sitting in place, and you get paranoid about the bike overheating if you live in a hot climate. I don't ride it at all around town. It's sort of a terrible bike to own and also the most awesome bike to own. And I have never felt the need for 'more power' on the zx10, while I did on the Ninja 1000. But I am a little crazy so make of it what you will :)

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
738 Posts
I’ve owned a ‘16 Ninja 1000, rode it over five years before letting go of it. I’d given it the full-Monty in upgrades - top notch aftermarket suspension, full system exhaust, fuel controller, steering damper, carbon fibre wheels, top end front master cylinder, steel lines… loved the bike, but even after all these mods it was hard work in the twisties. If you ride hard and fast be in no illusion about keeping up with a super sport or having similar fun as on a super sport in the twisties. You cannot. The Ninja 1000 does not disguise its weight well and is hard work flipping side to side in the hills. Of course, if you choose to go medium-fast, the bike will do perfectly fine. Fast, no.

As mentioned by others, it’s got a really close ratio ‘box which is great in the city as you don’t need to shift much at all, the bike will pull happily from 50kph to 250kph in 6th! Not that you do 250kph in the city, lol! This, however, is not much fun if you enjoy charging through the ‘box.

The riding position, for me, is off. It is the opposite of natural, be it for going fast or for touring. It is neither sporty nor is it comfortable enough for long distance touring. The rider triangle is just not right for either purpose. Of course, this varies from person to person but at 6ft I found myself constantly moving forward or back in the saddle and never feeling natural.

Yet, I loved the bike with all its flaws (flaws for me). I loved it enough to want to spend all that cash on upgrading all performance components (excluding the engine which is great already); in the end, though, it was not enough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I’ve owned a ‘16 Ninja 1000, rode it over five years before letting go of it. I’d given it the full-Monty in upgrades - top notch aftermarket suspension, full system exhaust, fuel controller, steering damper, carbon fibre wheels, top end front master cylinder, steel lines… loved the bike, but even after all these mods it was hard work in the twisties. If you ride hard and fast be in no illusion about keeping up with a super sport or having similar fun as on a super sport in the twisties. You cannot. The Ninja 1000 does not disguise its weight well and is hard work flipping side to side in the hills. Of course, if you choose to go medium-fast, the bike will do perfectly fine. Fast, no.

As mentioned by others, it’s got a really close ratio ‘box which is great in the city as you don’t need to shift much at all, the bike will pull happily from 50kph to 250kph in 6th! Not that you do 250kph in the city, lol! This, however, is not much fun if you enjoy charging through the ‘box.

The riding position, for me, is off. It is the opposite of natural, be it for going fast or for touring. It is neither sporty nor is it comfortable enough for long distance touring. The rider triangle is just not right for either purpose. Of course, this varies from person to person but at 6ft I found myself constantly moving forward or back in the saddle and never feeling natural.

Yet, I loved the bike with all its flaws (flaws for me). I loved it enough to want to spend all that cash on upgrading all performance components (excluding the engine which is great already); in the end, though, it was not enough.
Thanks for the response. I’ve decided to not get the bike and instead I’m going for a1000 cc I’m sport. Have not decided on Honda or Suzuki or Kawasaki.

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
The Suzuki is the best bike in that bunch. Especially within ECU reflash. If you research the three bikes, the choice is pretty obvious

The cbr-rr is nice,but it's 28k. The older generation is a good bike,but it's old. The Kawasaki is not quite as old, but it's engine won't match the VVT Suzuki. If you were building a track bike, maybe the Kawasaki is worth considering, but probably not. Unless you can find a nice used one like Energy drink did.

I would want the Honda cbr-rr because it is beautiful, but end up with the Suzuki gsxr1000r for 10k less.

The Yamaha is modern-ish. The low and midrange of the Suzuki would make it a far better street bike. Plus, if you sit on them the Suzuki is halfway comfortable. It's sized Medium in a group of xxx-small.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The Suzuki is the best bike in that bunch. Especially within ECU reflash. If you research the three bikes, the choice is pretty obvious

The cbr-rr is nice,but it's 28k. The older generation is a good bike,but it's old. The Kawasaki is not quite as old, but it's engine won't match the VVT Suzuki. If you were building a track bike, maybe the Kawasaki is worth considering, but probably not. Unless you can find a nice used one like Energy drink did.

I would want the Honda cbr-rr because it is beautiful, but end up with the Suzuki gsxr1000r for 10k less.

The Yamaha is modern-ish. The low and midrange of the Suzuki would make it a far better street bike. Plus, if you sit on them the Suzuki is halfway comfortable. It's sized Medium in a group of xxx-small.
Cbr-rrs in my area are 19k OTD. GSXR are about 17k OTD. 28k seems very high. Also I am sort of back tracking on my decision and I just can’t figure out what I want. My concern with the super sport is that I’ll get over it quickly and want something more versatile but maybe keeping the sv650 will cover that. I do love all the nice electronic features of the new ninja 1000s. Also it’s going to be full on winter here in 2 months tops and I won’t be able to ride again until April if I’m lucky.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts