Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, i am new to this forum and my knowledge of Kawasakis is very limited, so i apologize ahead of time if anything i say comes across as naive or ignorant. I have been looking to purchase a new bike for the past couple of months to move away from my SV650. I decided i want a larger engine because i don't want to buy something that will leave me wanting more. I don't go to the track anymore but I love sport bikes and i've been considering things like the GSXR1000, R1, or CBR1000R. The used market around me for bikes like these is insane. I can't justify paying $10k for a 6 year old bike with 15,000+ miles.

A local car dealership is selling a 2016 Ninja 1000 with only 900 miles for $8k. The price is right about what i'd like to spend, but i know next to nothing about this bike except that it's more of a sport touring bike than a true sport bike. The dealership won't allow test rides because of their insurance, but i sat on it and it's quite comfortable. I love the way it looks and from what i've read, it's a great all around bike. Considering my afinity for the super sport bikes, will the ninja1000 be too dull for me? I have been riding dirt bikes my whole life and i love my SV650, but i have out grown it. I have thoroughly enjoyed my track days on the SV650, but i want something more exciting. Is it possible that the ninja1000 will give me that excitement on top of being a great all around bike?

If you have experience with the 2016 Ninja 1000, please share with me. I'd love to learn more.

Update as of 9/14: Thank you all for the replies, i've read every single one and i am blown away by the thoughtfulness and detailed comments. You're a great community, which says something about the ninja1000 itself...I am still unsure about my choice. I do not want to spend lots of money on another bike that will still leave me yearning for more. i am torn between my illogical side of my brain and the logical side. As a 32 year old who misses old dirt bike racing days, i still have cravings for speed and power. Currently, im debating with myself whether i hold out and get the liter super sport bike (GSXR1000 or CBR1000rr, for example), or do i get the ninja1000 which will give me basically the same thrill factor that my current SV650 gives me.

Update as of 9/19: So i went ahead and bought the Ninja1000. Very very pleased with my purchase. First things first, i gotta get rid of this stock fender.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
Welcome. Please come back and let us know what you decided. Even if it isn't this bike that you end up owning.

It's a lot more bike than the sv650. Let's hope so. It costs twice as much. I had an sv before I bought my Ninja. I planned to keep my sv. It wasn't worth much (then) and I thought I would use it around town . That never happened.

In stock form, the ninja engine is a little calm and muted, but it's still very nice. A good exhaust system and an ECU reflash helps it as well. Funny you mention the sv. You know how strong the low end is on the sv? The ninja has even more low end. Between that and a clutch that's easy to pull, the bike is awesome in stop and go traffic. I just did way too much of that on Friday.....have you ever tried to find a drain plug for a 1997 Volvo station wagon, on Saturday? You need that exact plug to deal with damaged threads on another vehicle. Doing so may require some riding in traffic. Fast forward to me screaming the f-word.

It's not like the supersport as the ninja is built to be a good street bike, first, and I think it does that. It's a fun bike to own because the base frame and engine are still the same platform. Meaning you can find just about any accessory you can dream about and build the bike that you want . I've enjoyed that part of owning this bike. We could just about build an entire bike from aftermarket parts.

The 16 is a good choice. That has the upgraded assist slipper clutch but the old school electronics and abs were friendly towards hearing and tire changes. If I were buying now, I think I would look for a 2016.

One issue you should check first is insurance. For a bunch of different reasons, this bike can bring insurance quotes in that don't even have a dollar figure. The quote just says, "WTF, you are kidding me.". That's what my first quote said, as I recall. I had to shop like crazy to find a reasonable price for a good policy.

·
Registered
962 Posts
If I’m understanding you correctly you want a Super Sport but have not actually ridden one. My first question is why you want a Super Sport but are considering a Ninja 1000 instead. Why?

I have both, and the Ninja 1000 is just as much fun on the street, but it’s not a Super Sport. You have to decide if you won’t be happy until you buy a Super Sport and get it out of your system.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
235 Posts
I also had an SV650 ('04) over 12 years ago.
A great bike, which I only used on road and for short 1-2 day trips. Absolutely loved it.
But eventually I moved on to bigger and more modern and therefore better (for me) rides.
I'm now very happy with my N1K.
If you were comfortable using the SV for road use, I think the 2016 N1K will be a good (and cheap) intro to more modern and powerful road riding.
I reckon for 99% of the time, most people don't need (or use to their full potential) a Super Sport on the road.

Reactions: NRider1144

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
Jjs made a great point. This isn't like buying the car, but its not the color you wanted. If you have to talk yourself into it, don't buy. Doing so just moves you away from what you want .

If you don't want to pay top dollar, give it some time. Stay with the sv. As I inerest rates increase, and the economy takes a dump, motorcycles will be one of the first things people stop buying

·
Registered
114 Posts
SS's are for the track, plain and simple. I don't know why so many people in the US think they're the perfect street bike. They aren't and also become uncomfortable in 30 min. The Ninja may not have the all out performance of a SS, but low down and mid range will out perform a SS. Especially with an Akropovic header. It can even be scarey.

It will also be more comfortable and more fun in 90% of street riding situations.

·
Registered
962 Posts
SS's are for the track, plain and simple. I don't know why so many people in the US think they're the perfect street bike. They aren't and also become uncomfortable in 30 min. The Ninja may not have the all out performance of a SS, but low down and mid range will out perform a SS. Especially with an Akropovic header. It can even be scarey.

It will also be more comfortable and more fun in 90% of street riding situations.
Pardon me for getting a good giggle out of your response. On one hand I agree with your point. But I’ll play the “counterpoint“ card. In the past ten years I have owned three bikes at the same time. One being a Super Sport (Panigale 1199, CBR1000rr), one a Sport bike (Ninja1000, BMW S1000R, SuperDuke GT), and one a Sport Touring bike (Concours 14, BMW 1600, FJR 1300). I should also point out I will be 70 years old in a couple of months.

My Ninja 1000 is 28 months old and has 30,000 miles on it. My CBR 1000rr is 26 months old and has 20,000 miles on it. The Sport Touring bikes don’t matter in this conversation and they get used for long trips.

I basically don’t get the bikes out of the garage for anything less than 150 miles, and that includes the CBR.

If I could only own one bike it would not be the CBR, but 20,000 miles in two years says it’s a lot more than a track bike. I have not been on a track in 38 years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome. Please come back and let us know what you decided. Even if it isn't this bike that you end up owning.

It's a lot more bike than the sv650. Let's hope so. It costs twice as much. I had an sv before I bought my Ninja. I planned to keep my sv. It wasn't worth much (then) and I thought I would use it around town . That never happened.

In stock form, the ninja engine is a little calm and muted, but it's still very nice. A good exhaust system and an ECU reflash helps it as well. Funny you mention the sv. You know how strong the low end is on the sv? The ninja has even more low end. Between that and a clutch that's easy to pull, the bike is awesome in stop and go traffic. I just did way too much of that on Friday.....have you ever tried to find a drain plug for a 1997 Volvo station wagon, on Saturday? You need that exact plug to deal with damaged threads on another vehicle. Doing so may require some riding in traffic. Fast forward to me screaming the f-word.

It's not like the supersport as the ninja is built to be a good street bike, first, and I think it does that. It's a fun bike to own because the base frame and engine are still the same platform. Meaning you can find just about any accessory you can dream about and build the bike that you want . I've enjoyed that part of owning this bike. We could just about build an entire bike from aftermarket parts.

The 16 is a good choice. That has the upgraded assist slipper clutch but the old school electronics and abs were friendly towards hearing and tire changes. If I were buying now, I think I would look for a 2016.

One issue you should check first is insurance. For a bunch of different reasons, this bike can bring insurance quotes in that don't even have a dollar figure. The quote just says, "WTF, you are kidding me.". That's what my first quote said, as I recall. I had to shop like crazy to find a reasonable price for a good policy.
Thank you for the detailed response. I reached out to the dealer and asked if there's any way i can test ride the bike. It seems odd to purchase something without test riding first. We'll see what they say...although it won't be until Tuesday at the earliest. I like that you mention the customizability as that should ensure i have plenty to experiment with during ownership. You mentioned the low end torque - does that die off fairly quickly once you get up to speed? For example, if I'm going 70 on the freeway and i gun it in 4th gear, is it still pulling hard? I believe that's one of my biggest attractions to the super bikes. Also, you mentioned traffic, fortunately there isn't much of that where i live, but we have very nicely paved highways and windy mountains just outside of town that lead to a roughly 3 hour ride to the next big city - 3hrs on a super bike does not sound enjoyable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello all, i am new to this forum and my knowledge of Kawasakis is very limited, so i apologize ahead of time if anything i say comes across as naive or ignorant. I have been looking to purchase a new bike for the past couple of months to move away from my SV650. I decided i want a larger engine because i don't want to buy something that will leave me wanting more. I don't go to the track anymore but I love sport bikes and i've been considering things like the GSXR1000, R1, or CBR1000R. The used market around me for bikes like these is insane. I can't justify paying $10k for a 6 year old bike with 15,000+ miles.

A local car dealership is selling a 2016 Ninja 1000 with only 900 miles for $8k. The price is right about what i'd like to spend, but i know next to nothing about this bike except that it's more of a sport touring bike than a true sport bike. The dealership won't allow test rides because of their insurance, but i sat on it and it's quite comfortable. I love the way it looks and from what i've read, it's a great all around bike. Considering my afinity for the super sport bikes, will the ninja1000 be too dull for me? I have been riding dirt bikes my whole life and i love my SV650, but i have out grown it. I have thoroughly enjoyed my track days on the SV650, but i want something more exciting. Is it possible that the ninja1000 will give me that excitement on top of being a great all around bike?

If you have experience with the 2016 Ninja 1000, please share with me. I'd love to learn more.
Hey all, thank you for so many responses, i am working on replying!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I’m understanding you correctly you want a Super Sport but have not actually ridden one. My first question is why you want a Super Sport but are considering a Ninja 1000 instead. Why?

I have both, and the Ninja 1000 is just as much fun on the street, but it’s not a Super Sport. You have to decide if you won’t be happy until you buy a Super Sport and get it out of your system.
I'm considering a super sport because i spend a lot of time in twisty mountain roads mixed with long stretches of pristine highway. I like navigating gears on turns and i like having the high end torque. This feeling may fade as i get older, but my SV650 is currently just too tame for me. When i saw the ninja 1000, it had me rethinking my priorities and got me realizing that maybe i should consider something with more versatility. The SV650 is great in the twisties, but at high speeds on long stretches of the highway, it feels like it's lacking. Occasionaly i like to visit friends that live about 3 hours away. Cruising at 100 on the SV650 just takes a lot of work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jjs made a great point. This isn't like buying the car, but its not the color you wanted. If you have to talk yourself into it, don't buy. Doing so just moves you away from what you want .

If you don't want to pay top dollar, give it some time. Stay with the sv. As I inerest rates increase, and the economy takes a dump, motorcycles will be one of the first things people stop buying
That's what I'm thinking. Its amazing how fast all the bikes in my area got snagged. Like you said, i'm hoping people start realizing they need the money more than the bike and they start putting slightly used bikes up for sale. I wouldn't say im trying to talk myself into getting the ninja as much as im trying to understand whats the best fit for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Just got confirmation from the dealership that they dont do test rides, but they said i can purchase the bike and if i don't like it, they "tear up the paperwork and give the money back"...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do not think you will be dissapointed in the power. Rolling into it in sixth gear at 70-80 mph still amazes me.
I just got a quote from my insurance and i'm a bit floored. $1800 for the year. I know i could do some shopping for cheaper rates, but i prefer to keep everything in once place. That being said, this gives me quite a bit more to think about now...

·
Registered
773 Posts
My most recent riding (past 20 years) has been over a 100k miles on three different ZX14's. The last two were flashed. The last one was upwards of 200 hp, 100 pounds of torque and 200 mph. It isn't the fastest, but will get to the limit pretty quick. Obviously the N1K falls a bit short of that, but I haven't been disappointed in the my 2020 N1K.

And yes, you will need to shop around for the best insurance rate. My ZX14r insurance was about half of the N1K for some insane reason.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
I just got a quote from my insurance and i'm a bit floored. $1800 for the year. I know i could do some shopping for cheaper rates, but i prefer to keep everything in once place. That being said, this gives me quite a bit more to think about now...
Lots of discussions about insurance elsewhere. In the case of the N1k it pays to shop around. I've bundled everything with State Farm (cars, RV, home, N1k) and pay $430/year with the N1k.

I came from the VFR world, not a supersport but not an SV either. The only relatable tale is a guy I ride with who was on an SV650 when we met. He "graduated" to a ZX10R that he had for 2 years. He was absolutely thrilled at first and loved it at the track and out on specific roads but...no fun at all trying to commute or in any kind of traffic. He ended up with an FZ1 (No Ninja 1000 at the time) and riding a lot more. At the end of a 450 mile day he once told me "Every time I ride my back and shoulders thanks me for getting the FZ1."

I test rode the FZ09 Tracer after having the Ninja and was disappointed at the highway roll-on you proposed. You could downshift to 4th to get good acceleration at 70, equivalent to just rolling on the throttle of the N1k in 6th. My 2011 Ninja was very buzzy at 70 with stock gearing but my 2018 is much smoother and I hear the 2020+ are smoother still. The Ninja seems geared too low but if it doesn't buzz it doesn't matter much. I do miss the smooth as silk VFR motor, however. Idle to redline, clear mirrors and no buzz. If you really like rowing through the gears the N1k might not be your cup of tea. It's wide torque curve and close ratio tranny are redundant. In the wrong gear? Doesn't matter. Wanna be lazy? 6th gear works 40mph to top end.

Accessories were mentioned somewhere in this discussion and I like the fact that the same basic platform has been in use for 12+ years now. That means lots of companies have seen fit to offer accessories that fit. Plenty of seat, windscreen, clip-on, lever, peg, exhaust, etc. options out there if you're so inclined. And almost everything fits almost all year models. If you're worried about anything fitting, check this forum.

Kawasaki does have demo tours where they let folks try out new bikes. If you have to have a test ride check out to see if any rides are near you. Demo tours, test rides, racing, and more | Local Kawasaki Events

Reactions: NinjaJoe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My most recent riding (past 20 years) has been over a 100k miles on three different ZX14's. The last two were flashed. The last one was upwards of 200 hp, 100 pounds of torque and 200 mph. It isn't the fastest, but will get to the limit pretty quick. Obviously the N1K falls a bit short of that, but I haven't been disappointed in the my 2020 N1K.

And yes, you will need to shop around for the best insurance rate. My ZX14r insurance was about half of the N1K for some insane reason.
I called back and the instance person screwed up. It would actually only be $160 for basic liability instance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lots of discussions about insurance elsewhere. In the case of the N1k it pays to shop around. I've bundled everything with State Farm (cars, RV, home, N1k) and pay $430/year with the N1k.

I came from the VFR world, not a supersport but not an SV either. The only relatable tale is a guy I ride with who was on an SV650 when we met. He "graduated" to a ZX10R that he had for 2 years. He was absolutely thrilled at first and loved it at the track and out on specific roads but...no fun at all trying to commute or in any kind of traffic. He ended up with an FZ1 (No Ninja 1000 at the time) and riding a lot more. At the end of a 450 mile day he once told me "Every time I ride my back and shoulders thanks me for getting the FZ1."

I test rode the FZ09 Tracer after having the Ninja and was disappointed at the highway roll-on you proposed. You could downshift to 4th to get good acceleration at 70, equivalent to just rolling on the throttle of the N1k in 6th. My 2011 Ninja was very buzzy at 70 with stock gearing but my 2018 is much smoother and I hear the 2020+ are smoother still. The Ninja seems geared too low but if it doesn't buzz it doesn't matter much. I do miss the smooth as silk VFR motor, however. Idle to redline, clear mirrors and no buzz. If you really like rowing through the gears the N1k might not be your cup of tea. It's wide torque curve and close ratio tranny are redundant. In the wrong gear? Doesn't matter. Wanna be lazy? 6th gear works 40mph to top end.

Accessories were mentioned somewhere in this discussion and I like the fact that the same basic platform has been in use for 12+ years now. That means lots of companies have seen fit to offer accessories that fit. Plenty of seat, windscreen, clip-on, lever, peg, exhaust, etc. options out there if you're so inclined. And almost everything fits almost all year models. If you're worried about anything fitting, check this forum.

Kawasaki does have demo tours where they let folks try out new bikes. If you have to have a test ride check out to see if any rides are near you. Demo tours, test rides, racing, and more | Local Kawasaki Events
Thanks for the detailed response. I called the insurance company back and got a better quote. I guess the previous person was new or something. Basic liability coverage would be only $160. I appreciate what you mentioned about the zx10r being uncomfortable. This is my biggest issue with the super sports. The sv650 is very versatile so I want my new bike to offer me things that the sv can’t. Do you think owning the sv650 and a ninja 1000 may be redundant?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

That’s wild. They quoted me cheaper insurance for the gsxr1000r as well. I don’t get it

1 - 20 of 67 Posts