Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decision was made over Christmas to buy a new N1K. Ride with a couple of guys who have them, so have a pretty good idea how they go. Had been thinking about the decision for a while but the two colors offered in Australia (black and green) didn't grab me. However, seeing the color scheme of the 2016 green model over Christmas changed my mind.

Joined this forum in preparation for the purchase, and been reading up various threads.

So far from reading various threads I've been convinced that my brand new bike will need.....

a new seat
a replacement screen
the front and back suspension rebuilt
OEM tires replaced immediately
a reflash to made it run smoothly.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm making the right decision..... Can someone reassure me ... please?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sure, I'll Reassure you! I have a 2015 and absolutely love it!

A few of these concerns are more about the Pre-2014 models. The fueling on these 4th gen bike is about as good and smooth as any bike on the road today, and with the 2016 slipper clutch even better as off throttle fuel cut would be helped a bit. The 2014+ seat got a little better too. I've put 5000+ on mine and it did break in a little better. The suspension got an update with the rear preload adjuster and isn't to bad for a bike in this price range.

The screen swap is cheap and allows you to get the look and function you want.

Now the tires...

I wore mine out in 5000 miles and am glad to see them go. I love the Angle GT's with 55 Profile rear I just put on. If I would have known how true all the "stock tires are crap" threads were I probably would have changed them sooner, but I would not have thrown them out on day one.

The tire swap would make the biggest improvement for a reasonable amount of money, and the suspension can be dialed in by a pro fairly well for average weight rider, also money well spent.

None of these issues kept me from enjoying the **** out of my new Ninja...

It has just gotten better and better for me as I make changes to suit my priority's!

I don't think you will be disapointed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Need ?

You don't need anything to enjoy the bike day 1.

As a demographic we all like to personalize the bike to our own taste.

Sure the factory tires are mediocre at best, but you will get 3K out of them depending on how you ride.

The gearing is steep and for less than 100 bucks installed that is easily fixed with a front sprocket.

The screen is needed if you plan to run greater than highway speeds to cover road.. the factory screen is a bit short and depending on your height will determine where the wind hits you.

Seat.. maybe.. I only ride a maximum of about 6 hours at a time and its not tragic.

There isn't anything "wrong" with the suspension for what the bike is made for. If you are a knee dragger.. this is the wrong bike for you. This is a very quick sport touring bike.. it cannot hang with a super sport in the twisties with the same rider... Power and torque are more than enough for most of our members.. I personally wanted a bit more. Smoothness was never an issue.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
The 16 has the good clutch, and its really a good bike. The reflash? Yes, its a must do..it really is. Can you get by without it? For sure. Its just one of those one of its kind, unique products that really finishes off this bike.

The tires are going to wear out, eventually.

Screens are 100.00, at most. I have several just because its nice to have options available.

The seat sucks. The seat sucks on pretty much any bike you'll buy.

Any bike will benefit from well set up suspension, so nothing new there. If you look on the bmw forum, people revalve and respring 15,000 s 1000rr's, too.

If you wanted a bike that no one improves or personalizes, I dont know what machine that would be.

If your letting us build your bike, and spend your money, I'd also add a full exhaust, good grips, levers and a rear fender eliminator.

So, did you make the wrong choice? Id say yes if you are looking for a forum where people are uninformed and swearing stock is best, always and every-time.

No if you'd like a good, inexpensive machine, backed by an honest forum that comes with a solid list of future improvements.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Looks like you might not have to do much after all just ride, maybe you can work out a deal on the tires with the dealer

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
You're gonna love this bike. Other than the seat, I couldn't find anything to really complain about with this bike. Like others have said, everyone has SOME personal customization they'll want to do to their new bike. I've done more than a few myself. But... I haven't regretted buying this bike yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just got my 2015 model last week. I haven't noticed the throttle cut issue some people had experienced. Maybe because I've been riding on settings of Low Power Mode and KTRC 2. B-)

Filtering through Manila traffic is a challenge as scooter-sized gaps are the ones mostly
available for bikers. I wouldn't think of riding this in Manila morning rush-hour traffic -- toasted nuts
and baked ham would the the result.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You don't really need any of it to enjoy the bike. The seat is the only one you need to upgrade if you want to ride for more than 2 hours at a time.

The on/off feel in low rpm is the only other item I want to fix; Ivan's flash should take care of that.

Other than that, these bikes are solid.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Like anything, the more you ride it, the more you'll understand what you like about the bike. Every bike is built to a price point and with compromises as part of the equation.

I've been pretty vocal about my issues but I put in a LOT of seat time when I ride so what could be minor issues to some become bigger to me. The seat is a POS, one of the worst I've had the displeasure of riding. I had a local shop make some changes and now much happier.

Screen is a must if at high speeds. The put almost a super sport screen on a sport touring type bike... what were they thinking? I've seen no downsides to a bigger screen and I am much happier.

My N1K had serious, low speed, part throttle drivability issues. It is a 2014. Drove me freakin' crazy when trying to thread rush hour traffic in Los Angeles. Ivan's took care of it and it is almost flawless now. If I was at about half throttle and up, no issues stock. It was the smaller throttle openings that caused me major headaches.

I had no clutch issues (yet) but Luciano did.

Tires are pretty much rim protectors and not much more. I couldn't wait for them to wear out and toss them. They were downright scary over tar strips in the road. Almost fell twice because of them. Definitely not confidence inspiring in any situation. I have 11 bikes and scooters in the garage and not a single one of them had worse stock tires than my N1K.

The headlights are pretty pathetic. Don't know if that applies to bikes outside of the US but I imagine it does. Buy some LEDs and light up the road.

Overall I love the bike now. I didn't spend too much making it into something so much better than how it came. It was very good stock but let down in a few areas. Fortunately for you, there is a wealth of info here and different approaches on how to address the issues. You don't need to recreate the wheel.

Some people are more sensitive to some of the issues and some bike exhibit some moreso than others. For example I had apparently worse fueling issues and vibrations than some but my suspension seemed pretty good for the roads I ride on.

Good luck with the bike. It is a lot of fun and has been very reliable for me. I can now point it somewhere 1,000 miles away and know I can get there in a day and relatively comfortably as well yet still have fun on the backroads when I get there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Like anything, the more you ride it, the more you'll understand what you like about the bike. Every bike is built to a price point and with compromises as part of the equation.

Some people are more sensitive to some of the issues and some bike exhibit some moreso than others. For example I had apparently worse fueling issues and vibrations than some but my suspension seemed pretty good for the roads I ride on.
I certainly understand your apprehension. The thought of spending 10k or more on a bike and then dump 2-5k on it is not really appealing. I don't want to offend anyone, but I think that folks who like motorcycles tend to be afflicted with neversatisfieditis.

My guess is that 80% of us could spend 20k on a Multistrada and still want 2-5 k of mods. What I would suggest is that you try to be sure that a really sporty tour bike is what you want most of the time. If you get at least the base correct, you can change out the little things as time and money permit.

If what you really want is a super sport, or a full on touring bike, then the N1K will be difficult to modify to be satisfied with. It is hard to get everything you want in any bike. What we need is a bike that can morph as the mood changes, but we are probably a way off from that technology currently :cool:

I did put PR4's on it, but My plan going forward is to get the ecu flash from Ivan and then put 2-3k on the bike before making any decisions. I am going to at least attempt to not waste money simply due to my affliction!

Best of luck in your decision.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Every bike is designed to be a compromise at some level. As you ride more, you have a better understanding of what is important to YOU. I've ridden for well over 40 years now and over 1,000,000 miles in about 30 different countries and 5 continents. I now have a good idea of what I am looking for. ;-)

So for me, I generally prefer to buy used so I can dump a few extra dollars into the bike to tailor it toward my needs. Early on in my riding career I didn't know what I didn't know and since there was no Internet, I learned a lot of things the hard way.

For example at the age of 17, fresh out of high school, I had the great/crazy idea to ride to Alaska, starting from Ohio. My original plan was to ride with my mom (an avid motorcyclist). My dad didn't think she was serious until she bought a new bike for the trip. After much "negotiation" between them, my mom was convinced not to go. Undaunted I headed west to California and headed North. Let's just say I learned more about myself on that trip. I was woefully unprepared and it too me a month to go up and back but after that I realized I could pretty much accomplish anything I sent my mind to. I did it on a modified Yamaha XS11. Not the ideal mount but it actually didn't do terrible and I could haul a s s when the opportunity was right. My other option at the time was a CanAm 250 I had but I wasn't totally certain it would make such a long trip but would have been better once I got in northern BC and on into Alaska. Now with some of the incredible ADV bike it would be almost "easy".

Every day I am thankful for forums like this. The exchange of information helps us all make better educated decisions. I don't think I'll ever find a perfect bike. For the vast majority of riding I really like to do, my BMW K16GT came the closest. Even then I still modded a few things but surprisingly few (windscreen, full header and Akra exhaust). That was all and I was amazed. Once the stock tires died, I went with PR3, and then PR4s but with my experience on the Angel GTs on my N1K, I likely will give them a shot.

The N1K is not the best bike I've ever owned, but in the over 100 I've owned, I would put it in the top 11-15. I wish I lived where I could go out my door and ride a pure super sport bike and not have to travel anywhere. Sadly that isn't the case. When I lived in Georgia, that was my daily ride. Left my door, 2 miles and in the mountains. Now I have to slog through traffic and the Ninja does a pretty good job there, not a bad mount for the super slab (mod/replace stock seat) and on the back roads the shittttty stock tires are my biggest issues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's still early days for me with a little over 2,500km on the dial, but with the exception of a few minor complaints, I'm still absolutely loving my 2016 N1K and very happy with my decision to purchase one. JohnCW, you can read my initial review of the 2016 model here:http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/new-members-introduction/7129-2016-n1k-finally-got-one.html

I haven't completed any mods as yet, as I'm taking my time and still settling into the bike. My first purchase will no doubt be a new windshield - probably the V-Stream Sport/Tourer and the next will be LED headlights - I’d be interested in what LED headlight replacements others have found fit and work well?

Initially I was really unhappy with the seat and while the stock seat definitely leaves a lot to be desired, I am getting used to it and find that I can usually ride for an hour each way to work without much discomfort. I have lost a stack of weight lately (down to 75kg / 165lb) so perhaps it’s a combination of those factors?

Otherwise, all the handling characteristics I initially mentioned in my above-linked post, I continue to enjoy on a day-to-day basis.

Here are a couple of photos from yesterday's spin in my neighbourhood (sorry to all our brothers in the Northern Hemisphere - these aren't meant to make you jealous of our year-round riding conditions!:)):

·
Registered
828 Posts
Looks like a great place to ride. As for the seat, a big problem for me is the stock one constantly pushes my chestnuts into the tank. After an hour or so, my wobbly bits are pretty numb. I don't know if anyone else has this issue but for me it was more painful than my bum after 2 hours or so.

Also I made my stock seat high which gave me more leg room as well without reducing ground clearance. Another cheap mod for more legroom without reducing ground clearance was different foot pegs.

The ones from a 636 Ninja slapped right on and for about $20US, I did the rider and passenger pegs. My wife now has more leg room too. All they do is get rid of the non-effective rubber tops and the replacement pegs are knurled. Cheap mod and much cheaper than the over priced lowering blocks. Really makes a difference on the longer trips for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"So far from reading various threads I've been convinced that my brand new bike will need....."

Hold on now.

If you decide to go ahead and pull the trigger give it some time before you mod.

You may find that all the things you listed may not bother you. Be best if you could put that list out of your mind and just ride. If something is really a problem for your riding it will make itself known.

I have a 2012 and my good buddy has a 2011, he has only changed the windscreen and put on the Urban Brawlers. Everything else was fine for him.

I Changed the windscreen, and bought a Two Brothers exhaust and the fuel controller they sell with their map in it for the exhuast. I thought the Yosh and Akros were too spendy for me but i wound up close to that price anyway after the fuel controller and the db killers [a phenomenon i've come to call "Mod Creep" lol ] but the Two Brothers was the color and look i was going for in my mod. The most bang for the buck for me came from the 55 rear and the fuel cut eliminator Ivan sells as an individual module, it made a noticable difference in the corners. I am good with the power and don't really see the reflash changes as something i want to change about the bike [though not completely off the table for down the road]. The seat has gotten better over time and i wear bike shorts too which helps.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
If you guys go over to the BMW s100r forum, its kind of funny. You'll see several threads of the bike breaking down, with some pretty serious issues.

Also, you'll see threads asking will the s 1000rr shock fit, fork swaps, exhaust changes and ecu changes. Thats a bike that costs 3000-5000 more than what we paid.

So, its not a money thing. Actually, theres not an owners forum where people wont suggest mods. Many of the Harley people are afraid to mod as they are convinced they will nullify a warranty in doing so, but otherwise?

These are not cars. The mods go hand in hand with ownership.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.