Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I can't make my new Corbin seat fit unless I remove the crossbar that's near the battery, and even then, I'm gonna have to bend seat brackets or drill larger holes. The seat's rear bumpers seem to be in wrong place. Tried calling, emailing, & texting Corbin - no help. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I know when i bought a corbin for my cbr i had to shim the latch with washers so it would latch, go over the install instructions they send with the seat very carefully, if the bumpers can be removed try removing them and see how it fits, now i did call the number on corbins web site and got somebody first time, but i had to mechanically mod mine to make it work. Thats why i went with the oem gel seats for my nk1, had them on in 5 minutes. Best i remembered fooled with my corbin for a Couple of hours before i got it to fit.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The 2014 and later N1K bikes have a change in the cross member underneath the seat. It's one of those small details no one mentions in the new bike reviews. I like Corbin seats and have put them on other bikes, but for my '15 N1K I decided to try a Baldwin seat. I had the same problem with the seat they sent me. Try as I might, I couldn't make that seat fit.

Bottom line, Corbin sent you a seat for a 2013 and earlier bike. I would've expected that would know the difference by now ...three years later.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I wander if you can whittle out that seat pan they use they mold there on. That might be an option if you can get it marked and just cut the width of that bar if you only need a little. You could take a angle grinder and grind the material away using a regular grinding rock.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Corbin fit

I was able to get my Corbin to fit my 2015 after removing the cross bar without modification. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.
Adam

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great info, folks. I just removed the crossbar, filed & smoothed the tongue at front of seat, and made a small stack of neoprene spacers under the two rear tabs. All good now. It does interfere with latching the passenger seat in place, but might settle in after some miles.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Yep if its a corbin get ready to mod to make it work

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hi Folks, I can't make my new Corbin seat fit unless I remove the crossbar that's near the battery, and even then, I'm gonna have to bend seat brackets or drill larger holes. The seat's rear bumpers seem to be in wrong place. Tried calling, emailing, & texting Corbin - no help. What am I doing wrong?
I would write a complaint to the Better Business Bureau - when you get your $$$ back then order a Sargent seat; fit like a charm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I honestly don't know how Corbin stays in business. Everyone that deals with them has problems, as have I. I will never spend another dime on their products. I am liking the comments on another thread here about Spencer seat mods. I may try that out, however I really don't have big issues with the stock seat (after some miles breaking it in).

·
Registered
462 Posts

2014 models include this cross brace that can interfere with front seat installation. This cross brace can be turned around so the indentations sit lower and allow for Corbin seat installation.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I second that! they are bad for customers, plus their seats make you slide all over the place.
I contacted them to get a replacement part, and because I was not the original buyer (or did not buy directly from them), they said I needed to buy through a Corbin dealer. It happens, that about 3 miles from my house, there was a Honda dealer that was also a Corbin dealer. Corbin NEVER responded to them.... These were guys that sold their seats.
So I do not know how they stay in business.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts