Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Narrow hard bags

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Outamyway 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know of hard case locking saddle bags that are narrow that will fit our bike?
I need the width of the bags to fit inside the bar ends at its widest. I commute regularly and splitting lanes with only inches of clearance when passing cars. So bags that hang outside the bar ends would be difficult. I don't mind the smaller capacity, I just need room for my lunch and a change of clothes, as tank bags, softside bags and backpacks are rather clumsy and insecure.

Something like these babies would be wonderful:

THANKS

See less See more
#2 ·
Simple solution. Don't splint lanes. It's just dumb.

Reactions: NinjaRocket
#3 ·
Splitting lanes makes perfect sense. We're not talking about going 100mph when traffic is 80mph, but rather going a few more mph when traffic is going slow, less than 30 mph. Removing ourselves from getting rear-ended in slow heavy traffic is a safety strategy.

It's dumb to split lanes in MN. Drivers here are terrible. They're either clueless and don't line up nicely or check thier blind spots, or they'll get pissed that you're not as miserable as them and will open their doors on you. In fact, I could make the argument that commuting through the metro area on a bike is just plain dumb.

But in CA it makes sense. And in some parts of the world it's almost required if you want to get to your destination. Drivers line up nicely and give you lots of room (even on my FJR with bags I was able to lane-share), they don't make sudden moves, and it's only the occasional jealous midwest ******* tourist in Los Angeles that will give you problems.

Reduce your ignorance: Lane splitting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#7 ·
I see tons of videos where people are getting in an accident while lane splitting. While it may be legal, that doesn't make it safe, nor smart. Much like riding side by side. It eliminates exit options. My opinion as far as preventing getting rear ended is that it's all about lane position and paying attention to what's behind you. When I'm stopped or going slow, I always angle my bike and leave enough room so I can get around the car ahead of me in a hurry. I'd rather do that and drop my bike or run into the car ahead of me than be run over. Just my opinion though. Even if I was legally allowed to do it in MN, I wouldn't.

#4 ·
Givi offers the E21 sidecases:

7.7 inches in width.

I've driven in the UK, Ireland, and ridden in Europe and seen many riders who use top cases rather than side cases where lane splitting/filtering is allowed. After years of having bikes with side cases I went this way with my Bandit 1250 and might go the same route with my new '12 N1K.

#10 ·
No comments on saddlebags as I use a Cortech tail-pack and/or magnetic tank bags when I need to take anything and they have been great. The tail-pack has always been rock solid and can be expanded width-wise if some extra space is needed.

As for the lane splitting arguements, it's almost a vital skill needed to be able to get around in any sensible timeframe here in CA. The CHP run adverts to make drivers and riders aware of their responsibilities when it comes doing it safely; you see the local muppets on the huge Harleys or with stupid ape-hanger handles bars so have next to no control over the bikes sat in the jams and over heating, even in the tank tops and shorts - sod that for a game of soldiers! If drivers in MN are that bad, then I've just crossed on State off my "to do" list!

#12 ·
I'm going to have to search for images of a N1K with a top trunk only (no saddle bags). Although most of the freeways here are fairly roomy that saddle bags wouldn't bother much, some older portions of the 110 or the 5 fwy can be narrow. But Marauder, if you're in Azusa, the 60 and the 10 fwys have carpool lanes with double yellow lines that make it easier to split, no? but I think i'd rather have a top trunk. May not be super pretty, but it's gotta be better than those unattractive Givi E-21s.

as for the split/not to split argument, I wouldn't live in a state where I couldn't split lanes. I see both sides of the argument and there's plenty of knuckleheads here in socal that give lane splitting a bad name, but properly done, I feel safer splitting lanes 5-10 mph faster than traffic in a congested fwy. The risk of getting rear ended or to make a mistake in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic is just too great. Imagine having to stop and go in a jammed freeway for 45 mins on a 500 lb motorcycle.

#13 ·
Ive got the factory bags on my 2014 and the bags don't stick out any further than the mirrors. Never had a problem. Riding without lane splitting would be boring. Call it stupid all day long. I think its a skill only competent riders should attempt and it needs to be practiced responsibly and mastered. We call riders that crash idiots, but those who don't are masters. Just like the guys that can wheelie down any road at 75 mph and hang it perfectly. Some call them idiots, I call them highly skilled and talented riders. It takes so much talent and practice to master any skill. And then there are the incompetent ones like myself that just don't have the balance. I would be an idiot to do wheelies, but hey I do lane splitting just fine. Part of that is watching for the problems and avoiding them at a safe speed. And even then accidents happen so in the end have fun and realize you are living on the wild side when you straddle a two wheeled machine that can do some pretty amazing things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.