Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing some great prices on 2011 N1K's. I think I can possibly pick it up one in my local community with under $4k miles in the $5,000 price range. I really want a lightly used 2014 for the luggage but it'll most likely cost me in the $8-9,000 price range. My question: Are the improvements on the 2014 worth the extra cost? I have good soft luggage but I do love those integrated bags. $4,000 in savings could go a long way on the 2011. Advise and suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Traction control, ABS and different gearing are the major changes. I was in the same boat a month ago, but found a great deal on a leftover '14, so snagged it.
You could get the '11 and add the '14's bags though. Someone's done it, though I don't think the new subframe is absolutely necessary.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Personally, I think the integrated side cases and ABS would make buying the 2014 worth the extra money. I have a 12 and I would really like both those features.

Pretty soon the 2016s will be out and dealers will be even more anxious to move the 14s. But I'm the kind of guy who is willing to buy new.... maintain meticulously and ride the bike into the dirt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
These bikes drop in value very quickly. Unfortunate but true.

Being financially conservative, I just don't see the value in a relatively new 2014 when a 3 year old one is less than half the price.

My suggestion is to buy the 2011 now and get the 2014 in a couple of years...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These bikes drop in value very quickly. Unfortunate but true.

Being financially conservative, I just don't see the value in a relatively new 2014 when a 3 year old one is less than half the price.

My suggestion is to buy the 2011 now and get the 2014 in a couple of years...
That's what I did. Found a perfect 2011 with 2,200 miles and a couple tasteful mods. I own a nice Bags Connection soft bag that will work fine with this bike. I never had ABS or ride modes so I really don't know what I'm missing. The bike handled well and was a dream on the long stretch of asphalt on the way home. The last few months I've been riding a DRZ and a Harley XR1200. I think I'll even leave those ugly N1K pipes on for a while. The quiet was nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts