Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to give a quick review of my Icon Airmada SB1 helmet that I bought when I got my N1K. In short, it's a great helmet. One of its greatest attritbutes is the airflow - hence the Airmada name. Has ALOT of manually opertateable vents to control how much air you want. A nice plus ! Multi position visor. Has a st stl pinlock to tightly lock visor in place. Also, found it to be very stable on the hwy when looking straight ahead AND when you do lane changes, the wind flows nicely around the helmet. I've got close to 40hrs now on it and it is very comfortable. Wearing my glasses or sunglasses is also comfortable.

Believe my model use to list for $260 (CAN). Recently seen them on sale for $199 (CAN) and have seen certain sizes down around $125 (US).

A great suggested first time helmet if you're considering your first N1K or need a new lid.

Here's a link for a good, detailed review on the SB1:

https://rideapart.com/articles/gear-icon-airmada-helmet

·
Registered
971 Posts
I like Icon helmets like the airmada.
Wish there was a modular option.
You like the locking visor? It's almost theft deterrent quality.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha Yeah, it's a booger to get undone but I've managed to find a way to use my left thumb to get it in there and pry it open even while riding, say, if i'm coming down off of hwy spd into residential-type speed. When it locks, it's locked alright !

·
Registered
197 Posts
Helmets are a very subjective thing. For my bucket sized head the only thing that is comfortable is an arai. I own a couple now between different bikes and years riding. I once owned a nolan and that p.o.s. used to howl the faster I went. I ended up giving it away.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a nice link what're they do helmet reviews.

Icon Airmada Elemental Helmet Review - webBikeWorld

They have a link within their site where they categorize helmets into basic head shapes which is nice. If you know your head is more on the long side, you can read the reviews of helmets made in that vain. If ur more round headed, you can check those out. Cause you just can't tell from a normal helmet review if it will fit and b comfortable. Can save you lots of time by pointing you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Revzilla does a good job with their helmet reviews as well. My head is more round to neutral. I really like my HJC IS-16 with internal sun visor (now the HJC IS-17). Great value for the $$; relatively light, great ventilation, fairly quiet and has the internal sun visor. I still have it but semi-retired it now and bought a Bell Star Carbon on clearance. Expensive but light and superb ventilation; it is a bit noisier but I wear ear plugs quite often anyway.

One item I think everyone needs is the Bell transition shield. It is AMAZING! Works extremely well and you no longer have to plan for sun/darkness etc.

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own 5-continents Rossi replica helmet, and own HJC CL-17 as well.
5-conti helmet:
Good is: For a longer ride, I absolutely love 5-conti helmet: very very light, almost not feeling I have a helmet and it is very aerodynamic. Price is 450-500USD depending on where it is in stock.
Bad is: Shape of inner helmet piece is ok, however I have bit larger ears and I know there are custom inner pieces to buy, but I have not invested yet: downside of stock option for me personally is that I have to chill out at least 10minutes after 150-miles with this helmet on my head.

HJC-CL17 Helmet is:
Good is laser exact shape for me head, ears, even with SMH5 mounted earpieces, mic, etc. I love that helmet has added value of being SNELL compliant, very comfortable and stylish and not that expensive.
Bad is: Road noise is quite more than in comparison to my 5-conti. It has different positions for the face-shield, however, 5-conti wins here as well. CL17 has only 2-3 positions that you can ultimately use which I find ok for my daily riding.

Overall: I have one fancy one for shorter trip, and have one for longer more comfortable trips. At this point I do not regret spending 500 for my 5-conti, but I would probably explore more in SHOEI world with some graphics, vs spending $500 for replica :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts