Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Great forum lots of good info.
A quick bit about me. I'm in the Calgary Alberta area. Current main ride is a 2014 Zx6r. In the stable is a 2000 SV650 track bike, 1982 Yamaha seca cafe project, Ducati 1098s and a CRF250x.
I have been riding for 25 years and commute as much as possible in the summers as its 110 Kms round trip. I also tour when I can too. I have taken the zx6 as far as LA with no trouble. I am looking to move to a 2020 N1K as it seems to be the best way to add a pillion without losing too much sport. The two person push up is what gets tiring for me. I'm not tall so sportbikes are actually fairly comfortable. I will still have the 1098 if I really need to hoon it up.
Has anyone made this same jump? I will want to put the N1K on a diet as soon as parts make that an option.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
Welcome and good luck with your choice.

We've been riding around the same amount of time. However, I limit myself to one bike at a time. My prior bike was a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple and modded it more for performance and upgraded the suspension. I now have a 2019 N1K.

I can't be any happier. It has more comfort and way more power. Plus wind protection coming from the Speed Triple is so much better. I would have never considered taking my wife on the Speed Triple, but would with this one. However, as others may say, they don't find the bike great for pillion. Yet, I don't know if things have improved for the 2020 model.
I do commute to work a few times a week, but my passion is canyons and all day rides. So far the weather hasnt cooperated for a whole day but it's nice in the canyons. But I do miss the Triple with the rearsets and Ohlins. Nonetheless, I still don't regret my purchase.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did not make that jump per se, but I have had an 1199 Panigale for seven years now, which overlapped with my owning a Ninja 1000. See my sig for my current bikes. I normally ride my 1199 150-175 miles at a time. I’ve done as much as 375 mile days on the 1199, but admit that is too long of a day on that bike.

On the other hand, 350 mile days are a piece of cake on the N1K. 500 would be easy. Keep in mind I’m 67 years old. Bikes like the N1K is what people really should be buying for the street instead of pure sport bikes. But owning multiple bikes is the ultimate answer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had a 2015 Honda CBR600rr that I sold in 2018 to get my N1k. I loved my CBR600rr. Still do (my friend owns it now). I miss it's lightweight handling, and its electric motor smooth inline 4 that revved to the Moon.

Having said that, I'm over it. I want to be comfortable all day long. The Ninja 1000 is that bike that is a sportbike first, comfortable sport-tourer second. She looks, sounds, and feels sporty. Her gearbox is a close ratio (just like your ZX6R). Her brakes are strong. Her handling is super stable and relatively flickable. Yet she is all day comfortable. She protects you from the wind. She can carry bags. She can go long distance without torturing your body.

I test rode the Ducati Super sport and the Suzuki GSXS1000f. Ducati was not even close performance-wise. Just didn't have the motor. Not slow. But slow compared to the N1k. The Suzuki is close...very close....and faster on top. But the Suzuki doesn't have the features of the N1k. And it's just damn ugly.

Honestly, I don't miss my CBR600RR. There's never a day when I wish I had it back. I watch my friend ride my old CBR, and he loves it and I'm glad. But I have no regrets. I can keep up with him easily on my N1k. And when I see him stretching and aching after 150 miles, while I'm still good to go, I know I made the right decision.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

We've been riding around the same amount of time. However, I limit myself to one bike at a time. My prior bike was a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple and modded it more for performance and upgraded the suspension. I now have a 2019 N1K.

I can't be any happier. It has more comfort and way more power. Plus wind protection coming from the Speed Triple is so much better. I would have never considered taking my wife on the Speed Triple, but would with this one. However, as others may say, they don't find the bike great for pillion. Yet, I don't know if things have improved for the 2020 model.
I do commute to work a few times a week, but my passion is canyons and all day rides. So far the weather hasnt cooperated for a whole day but it's nice in the canyons. But I do miss the Triple with the rearsets and Ohlins. Nonetheless, I still don't regret my purchase.
So have you put the Wife on the back? How did she rate it? My missus can handle the zx6 for a few hours but after that it she is less comfortable for sure. Honestly its me that cant handle the two up on a sportbike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not make that jump per se, but I have had an 1199 Panigale for seven years now, which overlapped with my owning a Ninja 1000. See my sig for my current bikes. I normally ride my 1199 150-175 miles at a time. I’ve done as much as 375 mile days on the 1199, but admit that is too long of a day on that bike.

On the other hand, 350 mile days are a piece of cake on the N1K. 500 would be easy. Keep in mind I’m 67 years old. Bikes like the N1K is what people really should be buying for the street instead of pure sport bikes. But owning multiple bikes is the ultimate answer.
67 years young if you have a panagale! I like them but could not get over the shock placement. Hits my leg at a standstill. Plus to me the 1098 is the perfect analog bike. Its also one of the best looking IMHO. That said they have been making awesome bikes since the 1098.
I can commute on it but its just a harder bike to ride. The zx6 is easy and has enough torque. Its not a normal commuter but I have a lot of highway. I don't think I would "sportbike" in the city.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a 2015 Honda CBR600rr that I sold in 2018 to get my N1k. I loved my CBR600rr. Still do (my friend owns it now). I miss it's lightweight handling, and its electric motor smooth inline 4 that revved to the Moon.

Having said that, I'm over it. I want to be comfortable all day long. The Ninja 1000 is that bike that is a sportbike first, comfortable sport-tourer second. She looks, sounds, and feels sporty. Her gearbox is a close ratio (just like your ZX6R). Her brakes are strong. Her handling is super stable and relatively flickable. Yet she is all day comfortable. She protects you from the wind. She can carry bags. She can go long distance without torturing your body.

I test rode the Ducati Super sport and the Suzuki GSXS1000f. Ducati was not even close performance-wise. Just didn't have the motor. Not slow. But slow compared to the N1k. The Suzuki is close...very close....and faster on top. But the Suzuki doesn't have the features of the N1k. And it's just damn ugly.

Honestly, I don't miss my CBR600RR. There's never a day when I wish I had it back. I watch my friend ride my old CBR, and he loves it and I'm glad. But I have no regrets. I can keep up with him easily on my N1k. And when I see him stretching and aching after 150 miles, while I'm still good to go, I know I made the right decision.

This is exactly what I am hoping to achieve!

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts

So have you put the Wife on the back? How did she rate it? My missus can handle the zx6 for a few hours but after that it she is less comfortable for sure. Honestly its me that cant handle the two up on a sportbike.
Not yet and I don't know if she will soon. She vowed to never ride as long as we have minor kids and the youngest is 16. I'd like her to and mentioned it and she said OK. We'll see. Lol.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
The rear top box with back rest makes a big difference for pillion riders, me and my wife have logged thousands of miles on the N1K

·
Registered
697 Posts
The rear top box with back rest makes a big difference for pillion riders, me and my wife have logged thousands of miles on the N1K
Oh, to be young and flexible again... :) Or maybe she's really short and bendy?

Not much room back there and pretty cramped but a back rest does make it much more comfortable (safe?) for passengers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Picked up a 14 N1K this year and after an ECU flash and a few other mods I absolutely love this bike. I also own a 2019 Hyper950 SP and a 2014 DR650. I have all the bases covered for my riding and if I am doing anything more then 150 miles or a trip of any kind, the Ninja is the bike. It does everything well. I like it better then the Multistrada I had (Although the Multi handled better overall). :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
CRFan1 - What other mods did you do? I picked up my 14 N1K a month or so back and it needs the full 12,000km service and tires so I am getting my short list of what is truly required outside of the maintenance and all fluids.

I want to use this bike to intro my wife into pillion riding so the reported smoothness of the Ivan's tune seems to be a must. Not sure if I need the turn in of the 55 rear as I live in the prairies - thinking of the new Angel GT2s.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you're going to replace the tires, why not get the 55 rear? There is no negative in getting it. It's 100% positive.

·
Registered
697 Posts
+1

No downside to a /55 rear tire. Try it, you'll like it. My favorite tire is the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 but any /55 rear tire will do.

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
I love my agt 1's. I think the 2 went into the direction of wet weather performance. I dont need that, and the 1 was less money.

If you get the 2, let us know how it is on grooved roads. I avoided it because I have those , everywhere, and I have never had a striped tire that worked well on grooves.

The flash is a must for more reasons than you'll even believe.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got the 55AGT1s too, very happy with the performance so far.

·
Registered
136 Posts
CRFan1 - What other mods did you do? I picked up my 14 N1K a month or so back and it needs the full 12,000km service and tires so I am getting my short list of what is truly required outside of the maintenance and all fluids.

I want to use this bike to intro my wife into pillion riding so the reported smoothness of the Ivan's tune seems to be a must. Not sure if I need the turn in of the 55 rear as I live in the prairies - thinking of the new Angel GT2s.
The mods on my 14 are as follow:

- New Michelin Pilot RS tires (Front was new when I bought it so I put a rear on), New Brake pads and flushed coolant
- Puig Dark Tint Windscreen (Much better then stock)
- Ivan ECU Flash with BMC air filter (Amazing)
- New sprockets and Gold chain (16/41 gearing)
- Leo Vince LV1 EVO slip ons (look great and work with the hard bags)
- Sargent seat with 1" of foam added by Sargent and the matching pillion cover.
- Ohlins STX 46 Rear Shock (my stocker had s light leak - glad i did the Ohlins).

Honestly, this is all I am doing to it as it rides, runs and handles fantastic!

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is all great info! No thread hijack at all.

In between hiding under my covers from the COVID zombies and shoveling snow I have been looking for the N1K that will make me happy. I have looked at saving a pile of cash and getting a 06 + VFR but apart from the looks I don't think it is the bike to have. I will commute/sport tour a great deal and like the upright ergos, ability to add hand guards and greater power for two up of the N1K.

$16000 Canadian pesos will net me a new 2020 with all the wiz bang and cruise control happiness I could want. The appeal here is the cruise, quickshifter for two up and the insurance of the electronics in bad weather or the spot of gravel in the road. I'm hoping it can expand the riding season a little.

$13000 A new 2018 can be had I don't love the display and have to remove the toaster exhaust ( no offence to those who like it)

$10400 2015 with 4800 kms on it.

$7500.00 2014 ABS with 37000 kms on it. Better looking display but still has the toasters

Basically there is a $3k jump between them. I have never owned a bike with ABS. The 636 has TC and slipper clutch that is the most tech I have had. But, the best you know is the best you have ridden. Starting from scratch vs upgrading is it worth starting at the top?

I appreciate this is a "how long is a piece of string" type question but a great number of you have either been forced or have wanted to upgrade. So its been well considered by many who have owned several generations of the bike.

TIA

·
Registered
312 Posts
As owner of an '07 VFR800 I can give you a few key reasons not to get ANY VFR800 at this point.

The VTEC VFR's are difficult to service. Period. Good luck finding ANYONE who knows how to check AND adjust the valves on a VTEC VFR. The procedure is different and is VERY time consuming. Replacing brake fluids on their linked brakes is different AND very time consuming. '06-'09 (6th Gen) are getting up there in age so parts are getting harder to come by, rubber seals are old, fuel injectors most likely dirty, suspension fluids old. The 6th Generation VFR800's are the heaviest of them all....532 lbs. wet without ABS, 550 lbs. wet with ABS. The early Ninja 1000's weight in at 502 lbs. wet, and the current models are 520 lbs. wet. ALL VFR's are slow compared to the N1k. Pay no attention to current owners of VFR's that tell you VFR's have the midrange power. They don't. Compared to the Ninja 1000 midrange, the VFR800 will feel like a 400cc. Trust me on that. The '14-present VFR800's, if they're still selling 2020's in other continents, have LESS power than the older VFR's. They're lighter by 20 lbs, but has 5 rwhp less. Any 600 super sport will easily leave a VFR800 behind.

Enter the Ninja 1000. All Ninja 1000's are fast. They all have massive low end and midrange torque. The acceleration will blow your mind if you're coming from anything less than a liter bike.
'11-'13's are the lightest and fastest and respond the best to tuning. These are the most raw and the most exciting to ride. Not a bike for newbies. Your hand IS the Traction Control and it better have skills!
'14-'16's got heavier and gained ABS/TC
'17-'19's got IMU ABS/TC, plus LED headlights, plus sleeker bodywork. These are the most refined of the Ninja's. But they also feel a bit toned down at smaller throttle openings, therefore less exciting to ride than the early bikes.

If you want pure, raw performance, get the '11-'13 bikes. I have a '12 and an '18. I honestly prefer to ride my '12 because she is more exciting and more responsive. But on longer trips I prefer the '18 for its refinement and all weather ABS/TC.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts