Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Sunday I woke up at dawn and went for a quick ride. While out on a country road I caught up to a BMW M5. Still had its new license plates so the car was new/late model. I fell in behind the M5 as we went around a carousel. The car wasn't going as fast as I wanted so I figured I'd pass it on the exit, feeling really confident, with my '18 N1k running strong thanks to cooler temperatures.

The carousel ended and I pulled out to pass but the M5 driver decided to play and went WOT. I was in 3rd, and when I saw the M5 accelerate hard I also went WOT. At first I gained, but then the M5 must have needed just that moment to go full boost because suddenly we were neck and neck and I couldn't accelerate passed the driver's window. It really surprised me! So much so I missed shifting to 4th and hit the rev limiter and the N1k slowed for a moment, which allowed the M5 to pull slightly ahead. The N1k recovered and started only a slow gain on the M5. Shifted to 5th and started to pull away but only just barely.

The next set of corners approached and we both had to slow down. I built some distance in the next set of corners. But I'm quite sure now if the driver of that M5 was skilled enough he would have been able to keep me in sight.

Later I looked up the BMW M5 specs. Damn! 600 hp twin turbo V8, AWD, 0-60 in under 3 seconds, 1/4 in under 11 seconds. Its performance is right at a stock N1k. Liter biker super sports would still leave it behind. But any lesser than that and the M5 will smoke them or at least run with them, at least in a straight line.

BMW M5 Specifications

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
215 Posts
Once when my Ninja was stock I had a modified Mustang pass me on a 2 lane country road. I geared down and went after him. Caught up to him around 120. I was ready to pass him but we came up on some sharp curves.

Not sure about you guys, but almost everyone around here tries to test the bike.

That BMW is an awesome car for sure!

Reactions: Energydrinkvape

·
Registered
273 Posts
Not bad for a bike that cost 1/5 of that BMW beast!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a very good friend who has an M8 Competition which has the extra 17 hp, for 617. Its specs are basically identical to the M5. Quite a car.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sure in the hell is quite a car. It is of course, over $100k and I suppose it's worth it for some folks. Twin turbo's are so common nowadays, so is AWD. Seems to make it easier for automotive fans to match sportbike acceleration.

Most times when I encounter these cars its in the urban areas of SoCal so they rarely if ever have a chance to keep me in sight due to traffic density. I can share lanes in California. But this encounter was out on the open road with nobody else around, and the M5 could bring that power to weight ratio to bear without too much restrictions.

15 years ago, only the supercars can keep up. Nowadays, high end sports sedans are packing 500+ hp. For a minute there I thought about trading in for an Z-H2. ;)

I keed! LOL!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not bad for a bike that cost 1/5 of that BMW beast!
Oh yeah no doubt. I would NEVER consider dropping out of sportbikes just to get a supercar. You can have 1,000 hp but if you're stuck in traffic like everyone else then you're just as slow as a Prius. It's hard to enjoy such powerful cars unless you live outside of urban areas. I used to have a Corvette and I remember feeling so frustrated driving that car around because I was always at the mercy of the lowest common denominator. Places I can easily pass on a bike, I couldn't in the 'Vette without taking bigger risks and offending the slow pokes. I get away with more on a bike.;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yea, I get it. I live in Arizona but out of most of the congested traffic. In my 98' Jeep Grand Cherokee I seldom pass, in my 87' F-250 I seldom pass, on the N1K 2-up I pass a lot, on the N1K solo I pass just about everything, when on the ZX14r I do pass everything (so far!).

Reactions: OCL

·
Registered
617 Posts
Around here it's the young rednecks in their pickup trucks that try you on. Usually it is when you come up behind them on a twisty road and the next thing you know they are all over the road, using both lanes in turns and looking like they are about to wreck the damn thing to try to keep you from passing them. I even had one hauling a trailer loaded with mowing equipment try this. He almost spilled his John Deere!!

When they do this I will usually follow at a safe distance and just watch and laugh inside my helmet, waiting to see if they end up in a ditch or make it safely back to the double wide.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
..... on the N1K 2-up I pass a lot, on the N1K solo I pass just about everything, when on the ZX14r I do pass everything (so far!).
I passed a Forest Ranger once. Didn't realize it was a Forest Ranger F250. LOL! I got a warning.

Here in California, most drivers are so used to getting bikes pass most of them usually just give you some room or just tolerate it. Which I appreciate very much. I'm with you. I pass just about everything because I'm usually faster than most everything. This is why I should never get a ZX14R or an H2 of any kind.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is why I should never get a ZX14R or an H2 of any kind.
I make several runs to the valley a year. I go through a town called Fountain Hills. Lots of retired folks, lots of money, and lots of fancy cars. on average about 1 out of 3 times I pass through I end up side by side at a light with an old guy in his new Porsche. I love these guys. They rev their engine I look over, yep an old guy, I rev mine, the light goes green and I twist. I've seen them stall, I've seen them jump a lane and a half out of control, I've seen them wave a gesture, what I have never seen was their tail lights! They all need to make at least two stop light runs before they give up. Once in a while the traffic is too heavy or deputies are lurking and I just humor them, it's funny, at least to me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I make several runs to the valley a year. I go through a town called Fountain Hills. Lots of retired folks, lots of money, and lots of fancy cars. on average about 1 out of 3 times I pass through I end up side by side at a light with an old guy in his new Porsche. I love these guys. They rev their engine I look over, yep an old guy, I rev mine, the light goes green and I twist. I've seen them stall, I've seen them jump a lane and a half out of control, I've seen them wave a gesture, what I have never seen was their tail lights! They all need to make at least two stop light runs before they give up. Once in a while the traffic is too heavy or deputies are lurking and I just humor them, it's funny, at least to me.
Yes, that is pretty typical. In all my years of running the backroads, I’ve come across two guys in cars who were having as much fun as me. One was a Porsche Cayman, the other a Miata. Oops, forgot about a guy in an R8. I wasn’t on my first Ninja 1000 when it was stock. I pulled up behind him and then tried to pass him. I literally hit my rev limiter at 150 as I was about even with his back fender. At that point he pulled away from me and I wished to hell I was on my Panigale that I did have at the time.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I watched a video of some guys in Brazil on an R8 racing two liter super sports. It was a very dangerous "chase" through Brazil's freeways. The liter bikes couldn't shake the Audi. I think you'd need a Hayabusa or ZX14R to out run an R8 in a long straightaway. Or today's 200 hp sport bikes. 150 mph top speed of the N1k won't cut it with these supercars with top speeds upwards of 175 mph.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I watched a video of some guys in Brazil on an R8 racing two liter super sports. It was a very dangerous "chase" through Brazil's freeways. The liter bikes couldn't shake the Audi. I think you'd need a Hayabusa or ZX14R to out run an R8 in a long straightaway. Or today's 200 hp sport bikes. 150 mph top speed of the N1k won't cut it with these supercars with top speeds upwards of 175 mph.
Agree. The R8 I went after was the V8 version that they don’t make anymore. I know a lot about cars, I’m a huge car guy. My last fast car was a 2009 Z06. I’ve had a lot of fast cars. I knew I would run out of room with the R8.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A lot of cars come with launch control now, and many of them are pretty damn fast today. They may get the jump on you from launch, then you will pass them, but they will outrun you on the top end if they have enough room to run.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A lot of cars come with launch control now, and many of them are pretty damn fast today. They may get the jump on you from launch, then you will pass them, but they will outrun you on the top end if they have enough room to run.
All true. The higher spec, higher performance Teslas, all of them, can get the jump on an unsuspecting sport bike too. Against an N1k, if they get the jump on you, you will never catch up. They may not pull away cleanly but they will maintain that lead.

When I had a commute through an area full of Teslas, at least several times a week I'd get players wanting to play. It made the commute fun for sure. I had the VFR800 at the time, and I'll tell ya, I had to get the jump at launch. If not, those Teslas were gone. But if I get the jump first, they usually just give up. I'll admit, I got smoked a handful of times too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts