Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything I should know before these get installed???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have fun removing the handlebar bolts

They used a lot of RED thread lock on my 2011.

I broke a tool and had to take it to the dealer to get them loosened up.

They broke one of their tools as well.

Luckily they didn't charge me for the tool or to have them loosened up.

They worked great once I got them on.

The cables had to be re-routed slightly, no big deal or problems with that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They used a lot of RED thread lock on my 2014.

I broke a tool and had to take it to the dealer to get them loosened up.

They broke one of their tools as well.

Luckily they didn't charge me for the tool or to have them loosened up.

They worked great once I got them on.

The cables had to be re-routed slightly, no big deal or problems with that.
Did the Red threadlock come with the risers or do I need to buy some?

Someone posted about filing them down a bit so you can turn them downward more.. Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
23 Posts

Someone posted about filing them down a bit so you can turn them downward more.. Anyone else do this?
No threadlock with the risers, with the amount they put on mine I didn't need to add any. I have put about 5K on the bike since the upgrade and never once have they come loose.

I didn't modify them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No threadlock with the risers, with the amount they put on mine I didn't need to add any. I have put about 5K on the bike since the upgrade and never once have they come loose.

I didn't modify them.
Is the Lever position ok for you? Some said its too vertical..

Appreciate you answering my 20 q's lol..

·
Registered
94 Posts

That was me. I didn't bother using more threadlock when installed. The filing isn't so the risers can be turned down, but so that the lever perches can be turned down (clearance).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was me. I didn't bother using more threadlock when installed. The filing isn't so the risers can be turned down, but so that the lever perches can be turned down (clearance).
Understood.. If i'm fine with the stock positions will I need to file it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I read that some people cut off the pins in order to re-position the angle. I simply drilled new holes and used the original pins to lock the new position in. BTW, no need to cut off the pins since you can grab them with pliers and pull them out with a little twisting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a set of Murphs Risers that were on my bike when I got it. They are in like new condition and I don't use them. If anyone is shopping for them make me an offer and I'll send them your way. If there is any interest, I could send you photos of them

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ninja, might want to post this up in the For Sale Section, more audience to see it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
94 Posts
I read that some people cut off the pins in order to re-position the angle. I simply drilled new holes and used the original pins to lock the new position in. BTW, no need to cut off the pins since you can grab them with pliers and pull them out with a little twisting.
Re-drilling is key. Imagine what would happen without the pins if the bolt holding the Murphs to the stock riser came loose... at speed or during some turning maneuver.
On mine I had to replace the pins as one actually fell out and rolled to some dark corner of the garage to join the all the sockets I've lost over the years.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok guys Murphs on.. LOVE the difference.. But I see what you guys mean with the right side control being so upright.. I'll try it for a bit and if its super annoying I will dremel it down a bit to allow a little bit more down..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ok guys Murphs on.. LOVE the difference.. But I see what you guys mean with the right side control being so upright.. I'll try it for a bit and if its super annoying I will dremel it down a bit to allow a little bit more down..
My tip for you...don't dremel it down. Pull the pins out, drill new holes in the right positions, and re-install the pins.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My tip for you...don't dremel it down. Pull the pins out, drill new holes in the right positions, and re-install the pins.

Your talking about the bottom pins?

The odd part is the Left side is perfectly fine... Right is high..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your talking about the bottom pins?

The odd part is the Left side is perfectly fine... Right is high..
Yes, the bottom pins. This isn't hard to do. You can remove the pins by twisting and pulling them out. Then, you can trial-fit without the pins to determine the best position. After that, simply mark and drill your new pin holes and re-assemble.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, the bottom pins. This isn't hard to do. You can remove the pins by twisting and pulling them out. Then, you can trial-fit without the pins to determine the best position. After that, simply mark and drill your new pin holes and re-assemble.
If you do something like this, could you take a picture and post it? I have some risers on the way. I don't have a drill press, though it has been on my radar for a while now. Thanks in advance if you do.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you do something like this, could you take a picture and post it? I have some risers on the way. I don't have a drill press, though it has been on my radar for a while now. Thanks in advance if you do.
My installation is already done so I can't show step-by-step pics. Also, a drill press is handy but you can do this simple job with a hand-held drill. You're only drilling a small hole into soft aluminum.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My installation is already done so I can't show step-by-step pics. Also, a drill press is handy but you can do this simple job with a hand-held drill. You're only drilling a small hole into soft aluminum.
Horn.. my wife burns toast.. And I am bad with some tools.. Drill is one of them..

:p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts