Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get a set of risers and installed them yesterday. Wasn't very happy with the position of the clutch cable (or crushing my pinky loosening the stock bolts) and after riding up and down the street and having the clutch act all kinds of unhappy when the bars are turned full lock to the right, immediately took them back off. I was going to put them back up for sale, but then started thinking about getting a different (longer) clutch cable. Thing is though, I can't find anything saying how long the stock one is, much less lengths of any others. Anyone have any ideas?
I had read somewhere that someone had re-routed the stock cable behind the triples and that just makes it worse, the cable won't even reach the perch that way.
On the right side, taking the brake hose out of the guide was all that was needed there.
If I can figure out a different cable, then I just need to figure out how to rotate the levers down. The clutch safety switch hits the riser on the left, and the brake MC hits on the right. A grinder and some touch up paint should resolve those issues though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I didn't end up with a longer cable, but I got enough slack to reinstall these. There's a cable guide on the engine near the actuator arm. Taking the cable out of that guide gave me the slack needed. I also took a grinder and file to the risers and filed off enough of the front edges to allow me to rotate the levers down to a more comfortable position. I also used a washer inside each riser to space the stock bars out a little bit and moved the perches out too. It gave me an additional 10-15 degrees of rotation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put Murph's risers on my 2016 N1K. I put two washers in each handlebar mount. Everything works fine, but the clutch cable bends down more steeply than I would like. Did you have to remove the fairing to find that clip on the engine?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put Murph's risers on my 2016 N1K. I put two washers in each handlebar mount. Everything works fine, but the clutch cable bends down more steeply than I would like. Did you have to remove the fairing to find that clip on the engine?
No, it is really easy to find just about in the middle of the large opening. The only problem is that then you see the cables, but it is worth it. If you need me to, I can snap a pic of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had my Kawi mechanic install the murph risers. He said he had to re-route the clutch cable around the engine. (2015 N1)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the murphs on my 15' .. Not a single problem with cables, installed easily.. Why are folks having clearance issues??? Boggles me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts