Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm the owner of a new 2014 ninja 1000 (well almost new ... it has 4000kms on it). I ordered a set of Murph risers for my bike as was suggested by several people. I just received them today. I was expecting to see some instructions in the package but none were to be found. Maybe this is too easy an install so they didn't think it necessary to provide instructions. However, I'm a little nervous about how to go about it. A video would be great. Have any of you seen a video showing how to install these risers?

thanks for your responses in advance
Ray

·
Registered
370 Posts
I admit I'm surprised by the lack of instructions for installing Murph's Risers. There's nothing online either ...or on YouTube.

That is probably because the installation is so straightforward. There are two things to watch for: 1) loosening the bolts to take off the grips is difficult. Kawasaki uses loktite (sp?) on those bolts. Be prepared to apply some torque to bust them loose. 2) You don't have to undo any of the cables or front brake line. The only problem will be the clutch cable, which will be almost too tight with the risers.

Before removing the grips, re-route the clutch cable outside the little wire cage lower on the bars so that it's behind the cage and has a more direct path; giving you more play in the cable. When you pull the grips out, just lay them down on a towel on the tank, install the risers, and put the grips back on. Everything should fit okay, but check the cables and brake line out. Check the lock-to-lock turn to ensure everything is free. The clutch cable will be near its limit on length but should be fine. I have just over 35,000 miles on my 2015 N1K, all of them with the risers on. I've had no problem with the clutch cable.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Awesome! Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, that was easy. Risers are now installed and as you folks mentioned ... no problems. I have another question though, what are the small pins for?

For anyone else installing these, I would suggest that you use the bolts provided with Murph Kit at the bottom because they come with loktite. That'll guarantee these important bolts won't fall out from the vibrations. The top bolts are less important. To be on the safe side tough I would apply loktite to both.

Can't wait to see how the bike rides now. If it can stop raining.

Thanks again everyone for the help.
cheers
Rayf

·
Registered
339 Posts
The pins are anti rotation pins that Murph Risers now ships with the risers when they used to be installed into them.

I chose not to use them and used red locktite on both the bar bolts and the riser bolts.

·
Registered
370 Posts
As Chrispy and DonRubicon mention, the pins are to locate and prevent rotation of the grips with their controls, specifically the clutch and brake levers when being applied with some amount of force. Nothing worse than when your controls are not solid, especially in an emergency. When inserting the grips back onto the risers, the pins fit in slots machined along the receiving holes.

My Murph's Risers came with the pins in place. I gather from Don's comment that the pins are optional on newer Murph's Riser now? That may be a good thing, but not something I have experience with. His solution of using locktite to secure the bolts is good.

The problem is that with the pins in place the levers can be positioned higher than desired because of how the pins constrain the rotation. When I installed mine, at first it felt that the brake lever was higher than convenient to quickly grab for quick/emergency stops. I had to lift my fingers higher than I was used to in order to get them above and onto the brake lever to pull. But I didn't want to re-engineer the mounting mechanism for the risers -- didn't have the tools or the skills, really. Fortunately, I found a simpler solution for me. The brake lever comes stock with an adjustment wheel to set its distance from the grip. My solution then was to adjust the brake lever farther outward, which at first seems counter-intuitive. But with the lever a little farther away, I could quickly unwrap my fingers from the grip and grab the brake lever in one motion, whereas with the lever closer the grip I'd hit the bottom of the lever with my fingers and have to curl them to get them above the lever then uncurl them to grab the lever -- a longer response time. Does that make sense? Anyway, the risers as they are designed (at the time I acquired them for my bike, late 2014) work for me just fine. As with all things, your experience may vary.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm assuming from the information on Murphkits website that people wanted them to NOT install the pins as they take away any adjustability of the risers. In other things I've read (online reviews etc) many installed them without the pins as long as fresh red loctite is applied.

When I first installed I didn't apply and fresh loctite as I wanted to make sure they were adjusted where I wanted them....and that took a little riding. ;)

Once I was certain I was happy with the placement, I applied some fresh red loctite and tightened very securely. I feel its rock solid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More mods

Your stock handlebars have anti rotation pins that engage with slots on the risers.
A bit late with a response to this but you were right. These are extra pins that came with the Murph kit. They are indeed the same as the ones that prevent the handle grips from twisting. I didn't use the ones that came with the Murph kit and left the OEM ones.

In addition to the risers I ordered a National V Stream Windscreen to replace the original which I didn't find did a good job. I've installed the new windscreen and what a difference. It makes riding so much more fun and comfortable. It was very easy to install and I'm very happy with it. I hignly recommend getting one. I'm 5' 10" tall and the wind just buffs off the top on my helmet now instead of hitting me in the shoulders. I keep it in the mid position.

I'm thinking of replacing the seat with a Sargent. I've heard good things about this seat. Thanks to DeWayne Hasty and his Youtube for the suggestions.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys were right these were extra pins provided by Murph's.

I left the original pins in place.

Had to tweak the installation some to get the right feeling. It's not perfect but much better. To get the perfect feel I would probably have to replace the cables with longer ones and I don't want to do that.

I just installed my new National V-Stream windscreen. What a difference! Riding is much better now. The wind just buffs off the top on my helmet now instead of hitting me in the shoulders. My Ninja seems to cut through the wind now. Definitely recommend this windscreen to anyone who is not happy with the original.

A big thank you to DeWayne Hasty and his youtube of "must have mods"

cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your stock handlebars have anti rotation pins that engage with slots on the risers.
You were absolutely correct. I didn't use these but kept the originals. No need to replace them.

I've just received and installed my new National V-Stream windscreen. What a difference! With the original screen I was being blown away literally. Not anymore! I highly recommend this screen. It makes the bike more comfortable to ride. Easy install too.

Thanks to DeWayne Hasty for his recommendations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now looking for a tire repair kit. I got a flat the other day. Luckily the rear tire deflated in my driveway.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Now looking for a tire repair kit. I got a flat the other day. Luckily the rear tire deflated in my driveway.
Look up dynaplug pro. Compact, fits under ether seat and works. Just buy a couple of extra cartridges.

Reactions: omniron

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Almost forgot the inflator dosnt come with the pro kit. This is the inflator I bought.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Almost forgot the inflator dosnt come with the pro kit. This is the inflator I bought.
Have you tried filling a flat tire with that 20g CO2 cartridge. I tried new cartridges in that size on both my rear and front, from close to 0 psi. Found I couldn't get the pressure very high in either tire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
These kits are to be used as a emergence. I would not use one of these inflation. I have a set of plugs and one of these under my seat. I have used it to get home after a nail. But i replaced the tire as soon as I got home.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts