Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
new motor

I generally followed the kawasaki engineers recommendations for 2014 model...i probably accelerated the process a little after the first 1500 miles...the oil got changed after 1000 miles.....motor has about 8900 now...its running great

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I always follow The manual since they warranty the bike.

Reactions: MM997

·
Registered
91 Posts
Most auto manufacturers are now using a system similar to Motoman's and running the engine up on a dyno for a set period of time with varying loads before the engine is ever even installed in the car. The oil used during this initial run in/testing isn't kept and the engine gets fresh oil and filter upon installation. First oil change on a new zillion dollar Audi is at 5000 miles.

I have run in race engines on the track utilizing the hard break in and never had an issue that could have been considered due to using that technique, and Motoman's logic appears sound as do his results. I can think of may reasons why a manufacturer wouldn't want owners of new bikes doing this, but none that have to do with keeping the engine happy. When I take delivery of my N1k I plan on using his method, although doing so will certainly be less than convenient as I will either need to transport the bike to a dyno or to a stretch of little used highway where I can load/unload the engine without regard to traffic.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
This was from a british magazine, Visor Down, back in 2010.. The magazine invited gsxr 1000 owners in to dyno their bikes and get an expert opinion on mapping, exhaust, etc.

Most were just like this. This specific bike had 7000 miles on it and still needed to be broken in.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
As long as you vary the engine rpm, I think you'll be fine no matter how you break it in.

I rode mine home for 1.5h off the showroom floor. It was mostly non-hwy (i.e. varying rpms); I had it up to 7k on several occasions.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I never broke in my race engines either but i went into it knowing the engine would be rebuilt within the same year, as it was a given you would start loosing power after about 6 months of racing and if you didnt rebuild you was giving up that power to the guys who did rebuild.

·
Registered
125 Posts
my N1k is my 6th bike, 4th new off the floor and I have broken them in Hard first 100 mi's and never had a service issue to speak of and most of my other bikes had 20k++ on them..

If this helps .. My Buddy had a brand new R6 he babied, and followed all the guidelines for break in to a T....

That thing was in the shop for CEL's all the time.. But it could just have been a lemon.. idk..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts