Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we have all been through this. Garage accidents, and bike tip overs. Here's mine.

I'm in the garage, doing something I shouldn't have been doing. I raise up, and my balance is compromised. My head hits the handlebar of my yz 250...bike "a".

This knocks it over as it was on a rear, triangle stand. When it went over, it hit yz250 "b". This knocked over this machine.

Yz 250, b, then goes into brand new ninja 1000. The handlebar missed the plastic, but it drilled a front brake rotor. It knocked it 5mm from being straight

Final total. 2 sets of pro taper bars. 4 levers. A shift lever and one 300mm Kawasaki front disc.

The disc wasn't so bad as I found one on ebay. The bad part here was it taught me just how compatible the roots were. I believe I've spent over 1500 in rotor upgrades after learning this.

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do love the feeling when is going to fall, and you almost have it.

I learned that when we went to long travel suspension dirt bikes. The things you could do changed, but your perception of distance to the ground didn't.

I remember looking down and seeing my extended foot.....6 ,inches from the ground. Nothing I could do, we went over. I suppose health insurance covered the knee surgery.

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m eager to understand this - you spent $1,500 on brake rotor upgrades after learning about “root compatibility”? Perhaps you meant “how compatible rotors are.” So, after finding out that you could choose from a large selection, you bought a bunch of new brake rotors for your bikes (because you could)?
I know. I know, and yes.

Once I realized the 300 mm rotors, on the ninja, were a lower grade of the 300 mm rotors used on the older zx10, I started thinking about a 310 mm rotors option. When the 310 rotors fit, I had to try the 330mm. Yes, those fit, too. I bought a set of 310mm galfer rotors and a set of 330mm zx10 rotors.

At some point, Kawasaki released the zx14 se. That had a 310mm brembo rotor. I really liked those. I had to get 2 sets. One for my Ninja, one for my concourse 14. Even at used prices, I still spent a lot.

Reactions: Energydrinkvape

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Volfy, that sort of tip over is worth more than lost money.

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bear, I feel like I can hear that sound, in slow motion. It had to be like Buggs Bunny...Nooooooooooo!!! Fucccc.........

When you talked to the insurance, do you just say "prop strike" and leave it at that? Or, do they want details?

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Give us your worst airplane "tip over" sort of embarrassing mistake.

Looking back on mine, I learned from it. Although I retired my damaged rotor, I was able to true it back to a useful piece. I don't know if I would have trusted it, but it would have been better than having the bike towed if it happened away from home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts