Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we have all been through this. Garage accidents, and bike tip overs. Here's mine.

I'm in the garage, doing something I shouldn't have been doing. I raise up, and my balance is compromised. My head hits the handlebar of my yz 250...bike "a".

This knocks it over as it was on a rear, triangle stand. When it went over, it hit yz250 "b". This knocked over this machine.

Yz 250, b, then goes into brand new ninja 1000. The handlebar missed the plastic, but it drilled a front brake rotor. It knocked it 5mm from being straight

Final total. 2 sets of pro taper bars. 4 levers. A shift lever and one 300mm Kawasaki front disc.

The disc wasn't so bad as I found one on ebay. The bad part here was it taught me just how compatible the roots were. I believe I've spent over 1500 in rotor upgrades after learning this.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just had my fairings professionally painted and repaired on my 94 9R. It has a lot of colors so it of course cost a lot to paint. The first weekend I took it out after the repair and re-spray I parked it for lunch with a few guys I was riding with. A waitress walked up to us and said - hey, one of your bikes fell over. I went out and of course it was mine. The parking lot had just been re-asphalted and my kickstand punched through the surface and sank in. Shitty thing was that - I had the kickstand puck under the seat thinking I did not need it. So a second complete repair and re-spray was performed.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
463 Posts
I don't know if this counts because in the end I didn't end up having to pay for the other guy's damage.

This was in 2006 and had just purchased a new 2005 Suzuki SV1000. I went out for a ride and was gonna go to this spot above The Rock Store to hang where people sometimes stunt, chat or whatever. I pull in and its pretty full. So I'm trying to find the right spot. I pull next to a car and realize I could be blocked in later and decide to ride around the car to the other side.

Well, my prior bike was a 84 FJ1100 which could do a U turn in a phone booth. However, I found out that the SV didn't have the same turning radius. In the process of going around the car, I ran out space, stalled and the bike fell on dude's car. Place was packed and a it got quiet. Very embarrassing.

I pick up my bike and some guy runs over and says that it's his car. I apologize and offer to give him my insurance information. My bike broke a turn signal and other scratches.

He had a cherry Pontiac Fiero (most people laugh when I mention the car as being cherry). He said to not worry about it since he was planning to repaint it soon. After being sure that he knew I was serious about paying for it, I let it go.

Well, I went a few times after that to the same spot and unfortunately he would be there and would always mention it out loud to strangers that my bike fell on his car. Pissed me off after awhile because while I knew I did it, took responsibility, he wouldn't let it go.

I stopped going there anymore because I knew I was going to end up fighting him.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Geez, NT don't you have any friends? Don't you know if you do something stupid or clumsy it will never be forgotten? e.g. ...

4 of us out for a ride on favorite back roads. I'm leading. A buddy says he needs to pee so we go another few miles and pull into a grocery store parking lot. He pulls up on my left, jumps off his bike and heads for the store. I notice his bike starts to tip and grab the bar but can't really hold it. One of the other guys is walking by on the left and with his help we save the tipover. He hadn't put down the side stand! It earned him his nickname "Drainfade" that he kept until the end of his days.

On my first "big" trip to Canada in 1985 I went with a couple of experienced guys who had several trips under their belt. We were in and out of rain gear several times the first day and almost every time we got ready to go I couldn't find my key and end up using my spare. I'd put it in my rain jacket and then pack it away or my pocket and then put the rain jacket over it. To this day when I ride with one of these guys as we're walking up to our bikes I hear "You got your key?"

My 2011 Ninja 1000 was the first street bike I owned that didn't have a center stand. It took me a while to get used to a rear stand. The first few times I was really cautious but then...I lever the bike up and the right hook wasn't engaged and over the bike goes. Scratched fairing, broken turn signal, bent lever, oil leak. Cracked the clutch cover. G'rrrr. I'm back to being really cautious every time...

RC just gave me another reason to be a 1 bike (at a time) guy! :)

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do love the feeling when is going to fall, and you almost have it.

I learned that when we went to long travel suspension dirt bikes. The things you could do changed, but your perception of distance to the ground didn't.

I remember looking down and seeing my extended foot.....6 ,inches from the ground. Nothing I could do, we went over. I suppose health insurance covered the knee surgery.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I remember looking down and seeing my extended foot.....6 ,inches from the ground. Nothing I could do, we went over. I suppose health insurance covered the knee surgery.
I remember being on my SL-350 in my army gear heading to base, pulling up to a stop light and putting a foot down like usual. Except my double knotted boot lace dropped it's loop over the peg. Tiimmmbeeeerrrrrr. And if the embarrassment of cars driving around me in the middle of a busy intersection wasn't bad enough I got ripped a new one for the grease spots on my uniform and scuffed boots when I got to the base!

This is turning into old biker story time. Probably everyone who's ridden a long time had some something to be less than proud of. I figure I'm lucky to be alive with all my limbs intact...

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
158 Posts
I'll add my dumbest tip over ever that happened recently. I pulled up to the right side of a gas pump like normal, put down the side stand, and got off the bike. The bar was at left full lock and I wanted to move it to right full lock to get better access to the tank (I hadn't pulled forward quite enough). Grabbed the bars, pushed the bike up off the side stand, and turned them to right full lock, which also stood the bike up more. Unbeknownst to me at the time, the paving sloped slightly away from the pump and all of a sudden the bike just fell away from me. No way to stop it, so I tried to ease it down as much as possible, but it still hit the ground with a thump and rolled over on its right side. Scratched saddlebag cover, scratched fairing (and broken fairing slat), scratched bar end, and snapped off front brake lever--$750 in parts (I did the work myself). Also, I was visiting Big Bend National Park and had to ride back to Houston with only 1/3 of a front brake lever!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'll add my dumbest tip over ever that happened recently. I pulled up to the right side of a gas pump like normal, put down the side stand, and got off the bike. The bar was at left full lock and I wanted to move it to right full lock to get better access to the tank (I hadn't pulled forward quite enough). Grabbed the bars, pushed the bike up off the side stand, and turned them to right full lock, which also stood the bike up more. Unbeknownst to me at the time, the paving sloped slightly away from the pump and all of a sudden the bike just fell away from me. No way to stop it, so I tried to ease it down as much as possible, but it still hit the ground with a thump and rolled over on its right side. Scratched saddlebag cover, scratched fairing (and broken fairing slat), scratched bar end, and snapped off front brake lever--$750 in parts (I did the work myself). Also, I was visiting Big Bend National Park and had to ride back to Houston with only 1/3 of a front brake lever!
But to your credit, for the next 500 miles or so you followed me and despite only half a brake lever you never rear ended me :)

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
158 Posts
But to your credit, for the next 500 miles or so you followed me and despite only half a brake lever you never rear ended me :)
Yes, it took some getting used to and I purposely maintained more than adequate stopping distance. But then again, you know I can rear end you even with a whole brake lever!

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
399 Posts
Multi-bikes domino effect has its toll.
I empathize with you.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yes, it took some getting used to and I purposely maintained more than adequate stopping distance. But then again, you know I can rear end you even with a whole brake lever!
And your aim was perfect ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The bad part here was it taught me just how compatible the roots were. I believe I've spent over 1500 in rotor upgrades after learning this.
I’m eager to understand this - you spent $1,500 on brake rotor upgrades after learning about “root compatibility”? Perhaps you meant “how compatible rotors are.” So, after finding out that you could choose from a large selection, you bought a bunch of new brake rotors for your bikes (because you could)?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’m eager to understand this - you spent $1,500 on brake rotor upgrades after learning about “root compatibility”? Perhaps you meant “how compatible rotors are.” So, after finding out that you could choose from a large selection, you bought a bunch of new brake rotors for your bikes (because you could)?
He once bought a half a dozen ZX6R clutches just to make sure he had enough good steels and friction plates to replicate the stack height of the 2015 Versys slip/assist clutch. So I wouldn't doubt he bought a supply of rotors to see which ones were actually interchangeable... :D

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know. I know, and yes.

Once I realized the 300 mm rotors, on the ninja, were a lower grade of the 300 mm rotors used on the older zx10, I started thinking about a 310 mm rotors option. When the 310 rotors fit, I had to try the 330mm. Yes, those fit, too. I bought a set of 310mm galfer rotors and a set of 330mm zx10 rotors.

At some point, Kawasaki released the zx14 se. That had a 310mm brembo rotor. I really liked those. I had to get 2 sets. One for my Ninja, one for my concourse 14. Even at used prices, I still spent a lot.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Dunno about most expensive, but the one the felt the worst was the red 2010 VFR1200F. When I first got it, nobody made a frame slider I liked. They either required cutting the side fairing or was of dodgy structural integrity. So I rode it for more than a year(?) without frame protection, trying not to have anything happen to the beautiful red paint on the 600 lbs bike.

Finally, T-Rex announced they were releasing a frame slider kit for the VFR1200F. I must have hounded them for a whole month before they finally shipped the first batch of production. Then just as I was getting ready to install the kit the weekend after receiving it, I dumped the VFR1200F rolling it into the garage... right next to the T-Rex frame slider kit package.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
184 Posts
Riding off with my disc lock on. Twice. Averaged $300 each time and a whole lot of parking stall repairs in my apartment complex with a month off during prime riding season. Everything else has just been a generic, scratch and scuff drop. My paint scuffs are symmetrical on both sides and one blinker is still cracked to this day, four years later.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tipping bikes over...well, it happens to the best. I've dropped mine a couple of times but fortunately no real damage. While not a bike story, I do have an expensive "why did I do that?" story.

I used to fly, and owned my own airplane. Kept it in a hangar at the airport. Getting it out of the hangar involved attaching a small tow bar to the nose wheel and pulling the plane out, by hand. Not as hard as it might sound, though I did eventually get a motorized tow for it. Anyway, one morning I pulled the plane out to go fly, and completely forgot to unhook and stow the tow bar (I'm not the only pilot to do this). Got in the airplane and started the engine. The prop sucked the tow bar up into the prop blades and the next thing I heard was a very loud "clank, clank, clank, clank!!" Followed by "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!".

Long story short...FAA requires engine teardown for prop strikes, so 3 months later and $11,000 in costs, I got my airplane back in the air. Fortunately, insurance paid for most of it.

Worst part? The airplane only had 100 hours on the tach when I pulled that stunt. Never happened again, and I became a better pilot by far as a result.

Moral of story: If you learn from your mistake, you're in good shape. If you don't...well, that's another story! ;)

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bear, I feel like I can hear that sound, in slow motion. It had to be like Buggs Bunny...Nooooooooooo!!! Fucccc.........

When you talked to the insurance, do you just say "prop strike" and leave it at that? Or, do they want details?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bear, I feel like I can hear that sound, in slow motion. It had to be like Buggs Bunny...Nooooooooooo!!! Fucccc.........

When you talked to the insurance, do you just say "prop strike" and leave it at that? Or, do they want details?
Lol, prop strike and a drop! I cringe when I hear those words.
Dropping a street bike I would feel bad for bout a week
Dropping a dirt bike I would laugh for about a week
Hahaha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts