Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all , I have a new n1k and I am thinking of putting a K&N air filter and a set of urban brawlers on. My question is do I have to do any work to the ECU or anything else to the bike or am I good to go.

·
Registered
828 Posts
It would help to know what year you have. The ECUs vary depending on year. Generally a basic slipon such as the Brawlers wouldn't need a retune for most bikes. The K&N might be just enough.

I would strongly urge going with Ivan's tune and have your ECU reflashed. It makes a huge difference and will the accommodate almost any mods you'll throw at it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
You'll have more latitude then with the ECU.
Are you saying the ECU is different in the 2016 than the 2015?
If so do you know if it is different in the Z also? Just curious... thanks!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Supposedly the 2016 has the slipper...I just didn't know if you were implying the ECU was different also. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you say I have more latitude are you say I don't have to change anything on the bike (ECU).Thanks

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yes, it likely has enough. There are no guarantees though as each system is different. To be sure you'll need to check the AFR at a variety of loads and rpms to be sure.

If you don't already have a wideband O2 sensor (and a place to mount it in the exhaust) and a system that can record from it, it is likely just easier to have the ECU flashed or go with a power commander.

Typically an exhaust can lean out the AFR. This can cause drivability issues and in severe cases engine failures. Normally most ECUs can handle a change in slipons wihout much issue but when you add a better airfilter (if it actually flows more) and people often mod the airbox as well, then you are likely pushing it.

If you are looking to just improve performance, Ivan's without any other mod, will likely give you a bigger boost than the slipons and filter and cost less money. Then if you mod it later, you already have a key component installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts