Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Z1000sx
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I recently bought a used power commander v on eBay to fool around with (because why not), and didn’t realize that the harness appears to have been chopped up a bit. Looks like the pigtail to the ECU and Air sensor are missing. Any idea what the previous owner was doing and/or how I can get this thing to work on my bike?

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
799 Posts
Like rcannon said, sending you ECU off to Ivans Performance is the best option, especially if your bike is a 2011 ~ 2013.
However, if you really would like a complete and fully functioning Power Commander, I have one you can have for 50 bucks shipped. Includes software.

·
Registered
2011 Z1000sx
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like rcannon said, sending you ECU off to Ivans Performance is the best option, especially if your bike is a 2011 ~ 2013.
However, if you really would like a complete and fully functioning Power Commander, I have one you can have for 50 bucks shipped. Includes software.
I appreciate the response. I was on the fence about just sending in the ECU anyways, but my bike really just needs a little tweaking to smooth it out. I’ll probably just send it in now lol

·
Registered
799 Posts
I appreciate the response. I was on the fence about just sending in the ECU anyways, but my bike really just needs a little tweaking to smooth it out. I’ll probably just send it in now lol
I see you have a 2011. You will really like Ivan's reflash. The improvement will be no small matter. (y)

·
Registered
Z1000SX ‘18
7 Posts
I’m actually using a Boosterplug. Super easy plug and play pre programmed chip that connects straight into your harness. I’ve got better rpm with different speeds, no more shaky low speed riding and my fuel consumption is better. Pretty cheap gadget as it’s only about €150. I definitely recommend this for daily driving without difficult programming. It’s not for crazy speeds or anything but it does a good job for sure.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
Welcome. I see that you are new here..
Please don't try to create another booster plug advertisement. Booster plug is a 2.00 resistor that fools the motorcycle into thinking it colder than it really is. That's all it does. It's half the price of a real, legit fix.

Booster plug is a nothing. People turned to them , in desperation, back before real fixes were known. Real fixes are ecu reflashes and to a smaller extent, power commanders. Honestly, around the year 2000, booster plug was somewhat useful.

He has an older ninja 1000. The fixes for it are well know, and do not involve booster plug.

Booster plug makes your bike run slightly more rich. Not much, just a little. If anything, you will burn more fuel, not less. It won't do anything to adress the needs of any modern motorcycle. It doesn't eliminate restrictions or fuel cut, timing restrictions, or cylinder unification.

It would 100% positive cause ecu errors on any if the 2020 or newer bikes. Even booster plug is not stupid enough to offer them for the ride by wire bikes, I'm sure? Who knows. They have been running this scam for a long time.

When someone tells you they made a motorcycle get better mileage by running it 2-3% more rich ( that was BoosterPlug does), you are not getting an real review, or even a truthful opinion. Imagine what your o2 sensor goes through trying to compensate with this pos in place? This is a product you would find at a State Fair.

This bike, like most modern bikes, has a few spots where it is lean. However, in most other areas, the bike is running rich. Booster plug makes this worse.

Do yourself a favor. Take this off and throw it away. Find someone who can reflash your ecu. At that point, you'll have a bike that runs properly.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
My bike had been getting harder and harder to start and then stopped starting. It would turn over but not fire. I pulled out my PCV and the bike is perfect again.

I have to be honest: Ivan flashed my ECU but I asked him to please not load the fuel maps since I had the PCV. I have to assume he didn't but I don't know for sure? In any case, I was expecting the bike to run like crap without the PCV but it actually runs better. Very pleasant surprise and happy to have another outdated piece that can fail removed.

Reactions: kenors

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
I would have him load the complete flash. It's way different than we ever had, back when it used the power commander.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ivan's ECU reprogramming is one of the main reasons why I still have my 2013. No other bike I have ridden, including my Ivan reflashed Yamaha, offers such smooth and intuitive throttle response. I would be willing to bet it is among his very best work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It also speaks volumes for the potential of the big lug inside these things. What a nice power plant. An Ivanized Ninja 1000 is the first bike I've owned that I would buy another of.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
I dont know if it's the fact that the bike has more torque, or that it's more smooth? Ivan having the ability to play with the vvt system?...but the Concours 14 might be even better. If you rode them both, it would be a fun discussion to have. Might being the key word.

Just like the older Ninjas, it started life with some serious restrictions, and a massive amount of what felt like drivetrain lash. At one point, i thought the throttle cables were stretching, like they were made if rubber. The lash and the cables were not physical, real issues. They were mental (ecu) related.

The c14 flash was updated a few times. There were several occasions when I asked him if he was sure I should update. I didnt feel like there was a way it could be better, and that just sort of slipped out., and i felt really stupid. I should remove some weight from its flywheel, too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I dont know if it's the fact that the bike has more torque, or that it's more smooth? Ivan having the ability to play with the vvt system?...but the Concours 14 might be even better. If you rode them both, it would be a fun discussion to have. Might being the key word.

Just like the older Ninjas, it started life with some serious restrictions, and a massive amount of what felt like drivetrain lash. At one point, i thought the throttle cables were stretching, like they were made if rubber. The lash and the cables were not physical, real issues. They were mental (ecu) related.

The c14 flash was updated a few times. There were several occasions when I asked him if he was sure I should update. I didnt feel like there was a way it could be better, and that just sort of slipped out., and i felt really stupid. I should remove some weight from its flywheel, too.
I'd say with 400 more CCs that thing has got to be putting out some impressive numbers.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
That's part of it, but not really a major highlight. I haven't upgraded my exhaust, so my peak hp is about even with the ninja. With a good exhaust, I could add another 15 to that 145-150 figure.

It's the low end response, and feel. It's very electric feeling. With the early flashes, we had the horsepower numbers, but the later ones keep that and add refinement at the small throttle openings and low rpm.

On a big, heavy bike like this it made a difference in how the bike handles , at low speed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts