Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the mirrors on the Ninja 1000 stick out a little bit too far for my taste, almost to the point of reminding me of bug antenna. I don't like bar end mirrors, but what I would like to know is are there any particular brand of mirrors that are shorter than the stock you have installed and that you enjoy, Will you add a picture?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I explored the option of narrower mirrors about 3 years ago. My logic was that I lift or drop my elbow anyways to get a good rear view, so............My local Kawi dealer let me pull mirrors off other models and try them, and I purchased a few off of Amazon to try, so I had the option to return them.

Complete fail..........

·
Registered
698 Posts
And I added extensions to my mirror stalks so I could see better. Function over fashion... Getting rear-ended shifts one's priorities. And bar end mirrors are relatively worthless because they're out of your line of sight when you're looking ahead. The flash of headlights in my rear view mirrors turned what could have been a really bad situation into a bump and scratched up rear fender.

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
You can see my setup at the link below. This is the only way I found I could avoid using mirrors on the bar ends. I can split lanes like no other now, and the mirrors work surprisingly well. It will not work with the stock clip ons though. Have to use Speedy Motos.

https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/ninja-1000-parts-accessories/23114-my-lane-splitters-mirror-set-up.html
The 2017 perch has that spot for a mirror, like the trail bikes do. That might hold a mirror like yours?

Still have not figured out the throttle side, because you are right. Stock mirrors are really a bit wide for splitting.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
The mirrors are small, but much closer to the rider than stock. Plus, if you are lane splitting , something has to give. I'm not sure it's really possible to have a large mirror set, and a narrow bike.

As a veteran lane splitter (uh, twice, for about 75 feet) our stock mirrors are about the perfect size, height and shape to snag a Ford f 350's mirrors. It's really bad if there are two trucks, side by side.

By the way, we have this amazing technology pool to draw from. Electronics can control wheelies.....serious, as if a rider can't quite figure out how to make the front wheel go back to the ground?....we get this, and no video camera to see what's behind us? I wonder if that might be an answer? Some sort of small camera for real use, and small mirrors to satisfy the legal requirement?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
That traffic is crazy. How many people are killed there in road rage incidents?

·
Registered
601 Posts
.... no video camera to see what's behind us? I wonder if that might be an answer? Some sort of small camera for real use, and small mirrors to satisfy the legal requirement?
They're trying to bring to market a helmet with a built-in rear view camera. But companies that are trying keep failing to even get these on the shelves for sale. The helmets are heavier and very expensive.

There is one low tech solutions called Reevu, which uses a periscope style mirror to bring the rear view to the front of the rider's right eye. Testers say it works well...better than traditional mirrors for sure. But it makes the helmet bulky.

I think the real answer is for a comm unit to integrate a small camera pointed to the rear, and a small LED screen on the riders right eye. This way it can be adopted to almost any helmet. This as opposed to creating a dedicated helmet with a built-in electronic camera. But nobody so far.....Sena has their front mounted camera on their Comm unit...because you know...vloggers gotta flap their mouths throughout the ride.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That traffic is crazy. How many people are killed there in road rage incidents?
Surprisingly, very few. Call us tolerant if you will or that we have just gotten numb after so many years....

·
Registered
254 Posts
They're trying to bring to market a helmet with a built-in rear view camera. But companies that are trying keep failing to even get these on the shelves for sale. The helmets are heavier and very expensive.

There is one low tech solutions called Reevu, which uses a periscope style mirror to bring the rear view to the front of the rider's right eye. Testers say it works well...better than traditional mirrors for sure. But it makes the helmet bulky.

I think the real answer is for a comm unit to integrate a small camera pointed to the rear, and a small LED screen on the riders right eye. This way it can be adopted to almost any helmet. This as opposed to creating a dedicated helmet with a built-in electronic camera. But nobody so far.....Sena has their front mounted camera on their Comm unit...because you know...vloggers gotta flap their mouths throughout the ride.
True, Skully tried it, some more in the pipeline, lets see how that goes.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wow, those look tiny, can you manage to see enough with those?
Yes the work surprisingly well. Also, no mirror is a substitute for looking over your shoulder.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re:

Decided to buy the bolt on bar ends instead of notching the stock bar ends for CRG Arrows.

Expensive, but I'm happy with the mirror image, overall quality and function.
Did not perceive any increase in bar vibration over the rpm range, though I expected it.
The reflected image is more stable than the OEM moose antlers.

I tried them pointed up and the image was perfectly acceptable.
I settled on horizontal, because I won't be lane splitting.

They flip out of the way for parking. Spring loaded ball bearings mate with detent holes, but locations could be closer together.
Removed all screws and used thread locker. Hold tight or it will pop apart.

To remove OEM bar end screws, #3 Philips and high torque (battery-electric) impact driver. Heat gun or hair dryer (soldering iron) wouldn't hurt, but wrap a wet towel around the grips if you use heat.

CRG Arrow Bar End Mirror
Rhinomoto.com m8-bolt-kawasaki-mirror-mounts

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Decided to buy the bolt on bar ends instead of notching the stock bar ends for CRG Arrows.

Expensive, but I'm happy with the mirror image, overall quality and function.
Did not perceive any increase in bar vibration over the rpm range, though I expected it.
The reflected image is more stable than the OEM moose antlers.

I tried them pointed up and the image was perfectly acceptable.
I settled on horizontal, because I won't be lane splitting.

They flip out of the way for parking. Spring loaded ball bearings mate with detent holes, but locations could be closer together.
Removed all screws and used thread locker. Hold tight or it will pop apart.

To remove OEM bar end screws, #3 Philips and high torque (battery-electric) impact driver. Heat gun or hair dryer (soldering iron) wouldn't hurt, but wrap a wet towel around the grips if you use heat.

CRG Arrow Bar End Mirror
Rhinomoto.com m8-bolt-kawasaki-mirror-mounts
This was the setup I tried first before going to the 2" lanesplitter mirrors inboard. It was better for lane splitting than stock but it was still too wide for my taste, even with the mirrors pointed up.

I agree it would be nice if their was more adjustment range, the detent limits prevented me from setting them in a way that I may have been ok with.

·
Registered
698 Posts
This is in my city, that's how we lane split here, lol
Um, that picture isn't quite representative from what I saw. I didn't see any cows or other animals wandering around in the street in your pic. At least in Kolkata & New Delhi there were plenty of animals wandering around in the street and they seemed to all have the right of way, even if they decided to lay down in the middle of a busy intersection! Just another added dimension to driving/riding in India.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts