Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think it is any secret that many of us love this bike. This is the first time I have had a motorcycle where I wasn't looking for what my next one will be. maybe I am just getting older and more satisfied. Or maybe this bike is as good as it gets for those looking to tour, tear up the twisties, or just get from point a to b.

My question is, with proper maintenance, what you do you realistically think you can get out of these bikes for total miles before it would make sense to get a new model? I know that sport bikes don't have the engine longevity that say a Gold Wing does. Ours is somewhere in between. I have seen Gold Wing's with 200K miles on them! And I have seen sport bikes flat worn out with only 8K miles on it as it spends the bulk of its time on the track at high RPM's most of its life.

So for the average rider who puts on 'normal' miles and does the maintenance faithfully, do you think this bike can get 75-100K miles on it?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think 75k should be easy. Routine maintenance and oil changes and you should easily do it. I saw one for sale with 60k on it, a 2011, and it still looked in great shape and wasn't blowing any oil.

Of course if you spend all your time on the track, it might be different. What really helps is you don't have to rev the P SS out of it to make it go.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I agree 75k easy.... I just traded in a 2012 with almost 50k on it and it was still running running fantastically. I changed the oil every 1500 to 2000 miles with natural oil. Also, I believe warming up the bike before you start out is really important... to make sure the oil is circulating thoroughly throughout the bike.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't think it is any secret that many of us love this bike. This is the first time I have had a motorcycle where I wasn't looking for what my next one will be. maybe I am just getting older and more satisfied. Or maybe this bike is as good as it gets for those looking to tour, tear up the twisties, or just get from point a to b.

My question is, with proper maintenance, what you do you realistically think you can get out of these bikes for total miles before it would make sense to get a new model? I know that sport bikes don't have the engine longevity that say a Gold Wing does. Ours is somewhere in between. I have seen Gold Wing's with 200K miles on them! And I have seen sport bikes flat worn out with only 8K miles on it as it spends the bulk of its time on the track at high RPM's most of its life.

So for the average rider who puts on 'normal' miles and does the maintenance faithfully, do you think this bike can get 75-100K miles on it?
You might also consider going with taller gearing, maybe the first time you replace the chain. I met a fellow who did that and he claims over 50 mpg.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Taller gearing is a great start. Factor in a /55 profile rear tire and it is a great combination. Reduces revs at cruise a fair amount and the motor is smoother. I ride too fast usually to get anywhere near 50 mpg. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think the engine will do 100k easily. Of course, the more miles you get on the bike, the harder it becomes to justify repairs. I'm nearing 50k mi on my Daytona and while the engine still runs great, I did have to replace the clutch and overhaul the cooling system (including water/fuel pump). Both were expensive repairs. I know a few people that clocked over 100k on their Triumph 675 engine and that one is more high strung than the Ninja.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't think 50k -100k is an unreasonable expectation assuming you keep up on the critical maintenance fluids, filters, bearings, valve adjustments. Also not beating the **** out of it constantly and further more our bike doesn't spin the rpms like a high strung super-sport at 15500 our bike is detuned and only turning around 11500 max which makes a huge difference in longevity and reliability

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have over 50k on my 2011, and it runs perfectly. I'll be seriously disappointed if I have any troubles inside of 100k.

My 2004 BMW Boxer Cup Replika lost its clutch around 50k, and that drove me away from BMW. I don't expect the same from Kawi. Besides, my Ninja is a far better machine in every regard I can think of.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have over 50k on my 2011, and it runs perfectly. I'll be seriously disappointed if I have any troubles inside of 100k.

My 2004 BMW Boxer Cup Replika lost its clutch around 50k, and that drove me away from BMW. I don't expect the same from Kawi. Besides, my Ninja is a far better machine in every regard I can think of.
Well, if anything, the clutch on some 14+ model N1K's will most definitely wear out early without the clutch mod. Mine was bone dry and already showing wear at 2k mi when I did the mod. So glad I jumped on it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't get it. Why would they let such an obvious design flaw go on for so many model years? especially for a seemingly simple fix.

Darell "perplexed" Feldmiller

·
Registered
367 Posts
My dealer services one with +120 000 km on it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Cluch

8900 miles on clutch......How does the clutch present the problem of plates that are too dry? My 2014 seems to shift fine. I live in a warm climate....but when the temp goes down to upper forties it is a little stiff until its fully warmed up. The stiffness is from neutral to 1 mostly. In frequently i will miss the shift from 1 to 2. I hardly need the clutch for the other gears.....slides like butter....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
8900 miles on clutch......How does the clutch present the problem of plates that are too dry? My 2014 seems to shift fine. I live in a warm climate....but when the temp goes down to upper forties it is a little stiff until its fully warmed up. The stiffness is from neutral to 1 mostly. In frequently i will miss the shift from 1 to 2. I hardly need the clutch for the other gears.....slides like butter....
In my case, the problem was mostly present on cold starts and wouldn't go away until the engine ran at full operating temp for a few blocks. When I pulled in the clutch, it wouldn't fully disengage and almost stall the engine when coming to a stop. Downshifting was also extremely hard. When pulling in the clutch at idle, you could also hear a rattle/crackling type of sound.

After drilling holes in the clutch hub, the problem went away immediately and even improved shifting at full operating temp. There is no more sticking, rattling or any other issue of any kind. It shifts the way it should.

·
Registered
27 Posts
guess you guys havnt seen the cbr 600 f4i on youtube with well over 200k miles. this ninja motor will have 0 trouble going over 100k miles & way beyond i guarantee that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts