Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a metal griding type sound (best I can describe) at about 4.5k RPM in low gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd, maybe 4th). It might be present in all gears not sure.
I used to run with a camera low on the dash and it would pickup the sound, very metallic and grinding sound. First noticed around 65000km odm mark via the camera, but can also hear while riding (just helemt and wind mask it. Did some testing and it doesnt seem to matter on the lower gears if I am accelerating very slowly, not at all or hard acceleration (but does not last long on hard acceleration due to the rapid rev increase). Does not matter if going down very step mountains (aka was trying to check if was a load on the engine thing).

Havent got the video on hand ATM, would have to track one down as stopped running with a camera of late.

Doesnt seem to be causing any issues but metal sounds are generally not good.

wondering what it can be?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
The front sprocket would be a good spot to look at. How many miles are on your 2018? Brakes can make boise, but you often times have that at lower speeds.

What else about your bike? Any mods, crashes, or tip overs?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The front sprocket would be a good spot to look at. How many miles are on your 2018? Brakes can make boise, but you often times have that at lower speeds.

What else about your bike? Any mods, crashes, or tip overs?

80000 km (50000 mi) on the bike. the sound seem to be coming up through the gap under the dash (forks and triple tree area) from the engine from what I can tell.
No mods really to speak of, did fall once when setting up suspension ages ago (was on and off the bike so just automatically flicked the side stand up and didn't mean to, couldn't quite save it from going down when I expected the bike to use the side stand)

Was wondering if these bike have any issues with timing chain tensioners, stretching of the chain or even valve clearances being wrong and not noticed on services?
Not sure though if any of that could make the metal load and rev related noise I am mentioning.
Have also noticed the bike has never really liked fast starts off the line (engine rattles a lot doing fast take offs - so does a friends so not my bike specific)

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
The bike has 80,000 kms on the clock, so I have a couple of questions :--
  • When did you first notice this "metalic" noise ?? (10 km ago, 100km ago, 1,000 km ago, 10,000 km ago ? )
  • When was the drive chain and sprockets changed ?
  • When were was the valve clearance last checked ??
  • With the bike in the garage, and in neutral, bring the revs at 4,500 ~ 5,000 rpm and hold it there. Do you hear the "metalic" noise ??
  • Take the bike for a run, get up to 80 kph, pull the clutch in, close the throttle and drop the revs to idle and just "roll" along the road. Do you hear the "metalic" noise ? (WARNING - Do this only when it is safe to do so. Day-time only, no traffic at all, long straight road, dry surface. )

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike has 80,000 kms on the clock, so I have a couple of questions :--
  • When did you first notice this "metalic" noise ?? (10 km ago, 100km ago, 1,000 km ago, 10,000 km ago ? )
  • When was the drive chain and sprockets changed ?
  • When were was the valve clearance last checked ??
  • With the bike in the garage, and in neutral, bring the revs at 4,500 ~ 5,000 rpm and hold it there. Do you hear the "metalic" noise ??
  • Take the bike for a run, get up to 80 kph, pull the clutch in, close the throttle and drop the revs to idle and just "roll" along the road. Do you hear the "metalic" noise ? (WARNING - Do this only when it is safe to do so. Day-time only, no traffic at all, long straight road, dry surface. )
Hi Murphyau,

First notices about 10000 km ago, but was on video only I noticed and put down to vibration somewhere near the camera. But I can hear it now without the camera. Drive chain was replaced about 50000, so that will be coming up soon. Typically you would replace the sprockets as well but was not needed. Clearances check at 42000 (but dont have any results - shop checked).

No sound in neural in garage at 4,500 ~ 5,000
No sound with clutch pulled in at 4,5000 ~ 5,000 and rolling (no matter the speed)
Sound "sticks" around at the 4,500 ~ 5,000 if I hold the bike at that rev range.
Also, I do 90% highway riding, while I dont hear the sound in top gear, about 4,500 is my highway revs.
Adjustment of the chain does not seem to affect the level of the sound at that rev (only saying as chain could be the obvious choice but I would expect it to come and go a bit as the chain is tighter / slacker - not saying I have adjusted the chain incorrectly :))

Not sure if any of that might help for theories.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just noticed something else by chance. On one of my videos I was cruising along (not sure what speed, probably 80). Hit a significant bump (one of those bump you can get at the start of a bridge where the road does not line up quiet right). The metallic sound happen right then too! Twice as the suspension went up and down (first time was louder).

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
This is an interesting problem. So, I think you are saying in summary,
  • The bike has not suffered any crash damage. I am discounting the "fall over" in the garage
  • No noise in the garage when the bike is in neutral and the engine is spinning at 4500 rpm. (no load on the clutch)
  • No noise with clutch pulled in and bike just rolling
  • Noise when clutch "out" and bike is under power, but only at 4500~5000 rpm
  • Noise evident when bike hits a road bump. This puts a shock load through the drive chain to the clutch.
** If it was an engine problem (worn timing chain), then I would have expected to hear the noise in the garage.
** If it was a drive chain & sprocket problem, then I would have expected to still hear it when the bike is rolling and the clutch is pulled in.

To be honest, the only thing that kind of fits the symptoms to me is maybe a clutch problem. ( please note, I am often wrong )

I know that it doesn't fit the symptoms, but I'd replace the chain and sprockets as a starting point. As you mentioned, they are soon due for replacement anyway, and I can guarantee the sprockets (specially the front one) will be worn out. A worn chain and worn sprockets is putting a lot of strain on the clutch.

After that, if the problem persisted, I would probably pull the clutch apart and see if there is any wear there.

I would be interested in the opinion of some of the "experts" here . . .

·
Registered
539 Posts
Any chance it could be the front brakes? A friend of mine had a tire dealer put his bike back together after mounting a new tire several years ago with both pads on the same side of the disc.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
I would expect that if it was a brake problem (front or back), then the "metalic" noise would be there whenever the bike was in motion. Yet the Op has stated that the noise goes away when the bike is in motion, but the clutch is pulled in.

But as I mentioned, I am often wrong and remote problem diagnosis is always marginal at best.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All good help, thankyou. brake idea is an interesting one. As Murphy said doesn't seem to match the symptoms exactly. But the interesting thing is the front brake pads were changed around the time the noise was first noticed on the camera. - and I think a poor job was done as they often squeal when almost at a stop (normally I like replacing pad myself because I do think not enough attention is often taken from shops - just my opinion. But took the chance last time).

Reckon from the help, chain and sprockets definitely need a closure look / replacement.
Failing those will look at the clutch, hope thats not it :)

Will focus on those 2 areas. Thanks for the help. Being primary method of transport my time to troubleshoot or put in shops is limited.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
I am not a big "coincidence" believer, I'm more your "cause & effect" type.

If the noise first started to be noticed soon after having the brake pads changed, then that would be the very first thing I would check, even though it does not seem to fit the symptoms.

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
I like everyone's ideas, so far. I have had ebc brake pads that would make that noise, at specific speeds. The brake pads always sit right next to the rotor. At specific speeds, they can make metallic sounding noises since they pretty much are pieces of metal sliding along a metal surface.

·
Registered
51 Posts
80,000km and 2 chains is beyond what I would normally expect of a front sprocket. Worth a check.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Christ 80,000 km, well probably start with both the front and rear wheel bearings. I would pull all the calipers off the bike and have them rebuilt or at least inspected. Bloody head bearings are probably shot as well!!! A set of factory sprockets for sure and high end chain, if it still makes the noise after sell the god dam thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts