Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never looked closely at oil in my drain pan until I read it on this forum. Now I think I am paranoid. My first oil change was at 500 miles or so. Bike was babied and I followed the break in process. Once or twice I got on it a little bit. But nothing major. When I changed that first oil, I did notice small metal like particulates in the oil. I expected that being the first oil the bike ran. The oil was also a little cloudy too. I put in Mobil 1 4T 10w40. I just hit 1370 and changed it last night again. It was dark so I didn't look at the oil until this morning when my DW helped me put the used oil into the old bottles. I noticed small metal particulates reflecting sun light after we put most of the oil in the bottles. This would have been the small film left in the bottom of the oil drain pan. There were not as many as last time at all. But here was a homogenous distribution throughout the oil. Is this normal? Should I still see this? Will there always be some or is this just additional break in? I baby my bike by most standards. Heck I get 41+ MPG on most tanks so that tells you how I ride. What do you know?

·
Premium Member
13,746 Posts
No worries. You'll see shiny stuff in the moly lube they use during assembly. The clutch plates also shed some.

You might see some in the next oil change, too. I had the shiny things until @ 4000 miles.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Anyone got a part number on a magnetic drain plug ? (too lazy to google) But I use them in my cars and the fresher the engine the better I feel about the purchase :)

On a bright note: at 1400 miles now my bike finally feels like its getting broke in. With delicious torque everywhere, still a bit short on RPM but just a pleasure to ride all day!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone got a part number on a magnetic drain plug ? (too lazy to google) But I use them in my cars and the fresher the engine the better I feel about the purchase :)

On a bright note: at 1400 miles now my bike finally feels like its getting broke in. With delicious torque everywhere, still a bit short on RPM but just a pleasure to ride all day!
This is the one I'm getting.
PSR Magnetic Oil Drain Bolt Honda / Kawasaki - RevZilla

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will say this, my bike is noticeably smoother again after this oil change. It has 1500 miles now and I really getting easier to shift, accelerate, and is much smoother. I'm so glad I ditched my 109R for this. No comparison for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts