Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every now & then, those 2 nuts at the battery terminals fall off when you are working on removing the battery or adding new devices. And, the worst case scenario is the damned nut would fall into crevices where you'll never find them again.

Here's how you secure the 2 nuts. Get a foam ear-plug (which many motorcyclists use) and cut it into 2. Insert the nut into the battery terminal with half of ear-plug underneath it. You'll notice that the nut would be perfectly centered with the screw hole and it's almost impossible to get it out of the socket through shaking the battery by hand.

This way, it would reduce quite a bit of stress when working with the battery. Hope this helps. I know ... I know ... the title of the thread was chosen to be on the side of women because that's what most women have problems with ... helping their men to manage those nuts.
;) :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
To be delivered when released 2023 Ninja 1000 SX
37 Posts
And all these years I've just put the bolt back in and gave it half a turn. Can't believe I've been doing it wrong...:p
LOL, you have only been half charged all those years then. :unsure: It would drive me nuts haha!!

Reactions: kenors

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
Shorai uses that sticky backed foam on their terminals. It works well enough to trust, just as you hear one hit the floor. These always bounce and end up anywhere.

Arthur, this is a topic that no one thinks about, unless they have had to deal with it. A story, I'm thinking? How long did you look for yours?

I had one go into an expansion joint in my garage concrete. I moved, after a few years, but that expansion joint swallowed springs, bearings, and small hardware. I never was able to be sealed as the width was changing, constantly. Oh

Reactions: Geoff C

·
Registered
2022 SV650, 2022 Versys 650, (Past 2022 Z900RS, 2021 Ninja 1K SX SE)
120 Posts
The other day I found another use, a more personal use for used foam ear plugs.
Around 6 years ago I paid for a set of custom 2 part silicone ear plugs.
I have a inner ear issue with those 3 little bones in the right ear, left is OK. The plug must put positive pressure against that eardrum or I can't use it on the bike. OK for mowing the grass, but on a bike the wind roars even with what seems a good fit and the vibrations from the suspension/engine travel up the spine via the seat and rattle that crook ear pretty bad.
Just walking on solid ground with the right plug in, goes boom boom in my ear.

So I have used a foam plug pushed in for a good fit in the right ear canal, and use the silicone one in the left ear.
Benefit though, every foam set lasts twice as long !

So what's the connection with the OP's post then, you ask ?
I found that super glue works with 100% adhesion on the silicone plug material, and I was able to cut a small section of a used plug and press it against the end of the silicone plug and by trial and error snipping bit of foam off, got the slightly extra pressure on the ear drum I needed. I suspect the foam will be ultimately coated in my ear wax though.

When they form these silicone plugs, the process is to have a small circular plate closest to your eardrum, and on that a thin string is attached, finally the mixed 2 part silicone is pressed into the ear canal.
The set plug is pulled out by the string 15 minutes later. Obviously that thin washer extra thickness was needed in my case.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
Rob, how did you find out this was an issue?

Reactions: Geoff C

·
Registered
2022 SV650, 2022 Versys 650, (Past 2022 Z900RS, 2021 Ninja 1K SX SE)
120 Posts
Rob, how did you find out this was an issue?
I've had this problem since I started riding a bike I guess, but it slowly got worse in the 1990's. In the 70's who wore ear plugs ?
I found that bikes with a touring type of windscreen make more buffeting. As the helmet gets more worn it moves & rocks side to side pneumatically moving the ear flap (sound like Hurricane to me).
Today, I make a buying choice preferring Naked bikes as the helmet air flow is kinder to me.The Ninja 1K with the screen angled fully towards the rider was OK. It was just like a Naked !

I think the root of the trouble is the right hand side jaw hinged joint. If I press upwards from the bottom of the helmet foam directly under that jaw joint, it mostly stops.
The Doc and Dentist have both confirmed its loose, and when I chomp on the back molars while chewing, the jaw moved sideways and I bite on the left inner cheek.
Did you know that the ear and teeth (and jaw) all use the same one nerve, one for each side ?
When I get a new tight helmet (or new linings), I never know do I have an earache or a tooth ache, as helmet padding presses on the foam as the jaw is supposed to be held firm in place.
As the foam beds in, the ache just goes away. Just think of knee pain with out worn joints, but I don't have the inflamination.

Rob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts