Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, newbie here...

Last week I went to Hager Cycle World to test the Ninja 1000 and the Z1000. They were very helpful and let me ride them back to back. In short, the ninja1000 is very supple, easy to right, smooth, almost docile. The z1000 I enjoyed much more, wonderful growl when you open the throttle, very lively, easy to move around. I was pretty much smiling the whole testride I loved it so much. Well then, easy choice you might say. Yes, it would be, except I often go for rides with my wife, and we enjoy our day trips with the motorcycle club. So there's the problem. The back seat of the Z1000 doesn't look too inviting to my wife. And it seems there's not much I can do about that. Another problem is luggage. On my FZ1 I use a Givi topcase. Can't do that on a Z either...

So now I'm wondering, is there anything I can do to make the Ninja feel more like the Z? Maybe ECU/PowerCommander, sprockets, Ivan's magic, something? :confused:

As it happens, these are the very same bikes I rode:
Z1000 - WRR37: Riding the 2014 Kawasaki Z1000 - YouTube
Ninja1000 - WRR38: Riding the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - YouTube

Jan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey man, you cannot make that tiny seat on the z1000 comfy. I took my wife with me to the dealership before I got my Ninja 1000. Just wasn't happening. Had her sit with me on a dozen bikes, and the z was near the bottom of the list. So I got a Ninja 1000, and installed a Givi rack and top case. Even the passenger seat on the Ninja 1000 isn't that great. I have the gel seats, helps, but not too much. The passenger pegs needs to be extended as well (my wife is 5'8").
FZ1 has a better passenger seat, according to my wife. I think the Hayabusa was near the top of the list, FYI.

·
Registered
444 Posts
IMHO naked bikes aren't two up rides. Very minimal passenger seats, almost an after thought. Ivan has done his ECU re-flash on the 11-13 N1Ks. I've got it done on my Yamaha FZ1 & it's an amazing transformation.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey man, you cannot make that tiny seat on the z1000 comfy. I took my wife with me to the dealership before I got my Ninja 1000. Just wasn't happening. Had her sit with me on a dozen bikes, and the z was near the bottom of the list. So I got a Ninja 1000, and installed a Givi rack and top case. Even the passenger seat on the Ninja 1000 isn't that great. I have the gel seats, helps, but not too much. The passenger pegs needs to be extended as well (my wife is 5'8").
FZ1 has a better passenger seat, according to my wife. I think the Hayabusa was near the top of the list, FYI.
Can you show some photos of the the Givi mount and top box. I am interested in how the givi mount attaches. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's an image of Ivan's map before and after. I have the full one done prior to ECU reflash. The new one is a little better than this, but not worth removing the ECU until the winter. Also, a lot of the parts I spent a ton of money on are no longer needed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not to mention loosing 50 lbs of exhaust by upgrading to the Akrapovic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts