Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my wife a new 2021 1000sx going to use the low reach seat but also need to lower the suspension. She is 5’4 just coming off the ninja 650 which was also lowered. Looking for the best lowering kit out there. She is a very experienced rider with over 100 thousand miles under her belt. Has anyone out there used this kit from research it looks to be quality. Looking for any feedback on lowering out there. The new 1000sx with all its new features looks very promising. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would recommend the T-Rex Racing kit instead of the fixed 30mm Lust Racing links. T-Rex Racing 2014 - 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Adjustable Kickstand & Lowering Link

I have used quite a few of T-Rex's stuff over the years and they've all been of excellent quality and sound design. I don't need the N1k lowered, but if I did, that's the kit I'd go with. They are local here in TX, so I am partial in that regard as well.

Pretty sure you know you'd need to lower the front as well. Most will tell you to lower the front the same amount as rear. While most often that is what will work best, I'd recommend dropping the front first to 60% of the rear drop, then in small increments after that. Test ride to check for signs for front end instability, especially under heavy braking, as compressing the front forks will steepen rake and decrease trail. The rate at which that happens with a lowered bike can be greater than with stock ride height, which is why I caution not jumping straight to match the front lowering with the rear.

Pretty sure you also know that any lowering in this manner, without changing the spring rate, means you are decreasing the max load rating of the bike. Max load = suspension travel x spring rate. I'm assuming your wife is on the petit side, so this should not be a big deal, especially if you keep the lowering amount as minimum as necessary for her to feel confident riding it. And I doubt she'll be carrying a passenger or loaded down heavy with luggage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. My wife is 125 lbs so I don’t believe I’ll have an issue with suspension. Thank you very informative.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts