Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
Scuga, you can do that, with the forks. Handling is a bit sharper.

A height difference is about 5mm...probably not too significant?

Bazninja, I need to do some of those exercises. Ive never really set up a course.

I'll find an empty parking lot. In Utah, we have a lot of buildings, and parking lots that are busy only on Sunday. I think they call them churches.

When I get there, I have t do three turns, each direction, where my forks hit the stops. And it has to be three perfect left, three perfect right, with no mistakes in between.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yea, it sucks. I dropped my baby. It's embarrassing honestly, and I think the reason is because the bike is just a bit tall for me. I'm on tippy toes at red lights, it's a bit better when my girlfriend is on the back, but I'd like to be able to flat foot at a stop and feel secure like on my CBR600. I have googled, and couldn't find any lowering links for our bike. Mine's a 2011 model. I'm about 5'8, 165lbs. It's possible the stock suspension needs an adjustment, I just don't know how to do it on this bike. Any info appreciated. I love the bike, but at times it just seems too tall for me. I've never had issues just putting my leg over to get on a seat before, but on this bike sometimes I have to kinda jump on lol.
Sorry to hear about your drop. Im 5'6" and I can almost flat foot (Wearing boots) on my Ninja 1K. I have a 2017 so I dont know if the 2013 model is that much higher. My front and back sag is set to 35mm.

Here is another great article that describes suspension setup:

https://lifeatlean.com/?s=suspension&paged=2
https://lifeatlean.com/?s=suspension&paged=1

Hope this helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had issues with being too short and had the bike lowered 30mm front and back.
Made a huge difference and im much happier with it now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks
After reading a few posts here, I bought and installed this lowering link:
2011-2015 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Black Adjustable Lowering Link | eBay
It is adjustable, so I set it at about 3/4" lower than stock, and used lots of Locktite.
After about 250km, I can truly say that I love my 2011 Ninja 1000 ABS again.
The ride is virtually unchanged.
I do have to watch the parking because the bike doesn't lean as much on the kickstand now.
Highly recommended.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm sure you are aware, there are several methods for fixing the kick stand. Replace the EOM with an adjustable, have a local shop cut a section out and weld the ends back, or grind down the kick stand stop notch. I've only lowered one bike (not an N1K) with an adjustable dog leg, and added an adjustable kick stand. I sold it to a much taller guy and it was easy to adjust the height up and kick stand. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The real trouble I have is throwing my leg over to mount the bike. That's where I dropped it, stopping at lights aren't so bad because I lean left enough so I can put my left foot flat, otherwise I'm tip toeing both feet without leaning. The side cases probably don't help in my case either because I have to swing my leg even wider.
I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam when I mount and dis mount I have the bike on the side stand, I step up on the left peg to mount, and dismount in reverse order.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am 5'6 and 30" inseam, the genuine Kawasaki gel seat improves the reach to the ground a little due to the narrower profile, getting the weight of the bike up and off the side stand once seated can be challenging for us shorter riders too. ( well it is for me as i'm not so young anymore). Tip- Turning the handlebars full lock to the right once seated makes lifting the bike off the side stand much easier.

·
Registered
61 Posts
to me, when i put the 55 on rear made me tip toe. when i wear this one out going back to 50. hard to believe it makes a difference. also i would mess with seat before jacking with lowering links and suspension. thats just me though. i just got a new grsx 1000 and i'm tip toeing on it too.just got to be careful. alot of the time i will leave stand down and swing leg over then put stand up.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts