Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving the bike BUT really miss leaning more forward... Anyone recommend a lowering solution??

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A few of us have good luck with the APEX riser clip-ons. Whatever hardware you choose, clearing the fuel tank at opposite lock will likely limit how low you can go. Realistically, though, without also going to adjustable rearsets, there is a limit on how low you can set the handlebars before the rider triangle starts to feel awkward.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Loving the bike BUT really miss leaning more forward... Anyone recommend a lowering solution??
There have been a couple of threads from people who used different sportbike clip-on risers to replace the factory mounts. This will allow you to get a different height (depending on what brand/height risers you pick), adjust the sweep of the bars a bit, and usually get a more sportbike-like angle to the bars (lowering the outside end of the bar). One question would be how much drop you want, and the other is how much drop you can actually have before you start running into interference problems with the fairings and tank.
I think Woodcraft or Speedymoto are a good choice, because they allow you to use your current bars (no need to remove all the controls). Apex are also a popular choice, and allow for a lot of adjustment, but you will need to swap your controls over to the Apex bars (and drill the bars for the locating pins).
I think that 3 inch Speedymoto risers would give you a little bit of lean (the handlebar out where your hands actually are should go down a bit), while also giving you a bit more downward angle to the bars, and let you adjust the sweep a bit. 2 inch Speedymotos will be significantly lower than the stock bars, but will probably have more interference issues.
Woodcraft suggested their adjustable side-mount risers to me when I contacted them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just picked up my bike from doing the Sato rearsets/ Apex clipons. One word:

Wow.

The bike actually feels like a real, well, bike again. It's no longer a numbing sewing machine. I can turn and brake and haul *** without feeling like a fat old man in the wind. (well I might be anyway, but that's a different issue)

Definitely worth the time/money to invest in these mods if you want a sportbike feeling, and still have bags and the capacity to go for days.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Does the Sato rearset allow for adjusting them higher than stock?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yes, you can go both up and back from stock position. I did both.
Good that's what is needed for more jockey position. I'm not familiar with them so was asking. Most of the talk about rearsets and pegs is by those wanting to lower them. When I initially picked up my N1K, being used to the sportbike type posture I also thought about lowering/angling the bars and raising the pegs, but wanted to get used to the bike first. Then I'm getting to old and the knees and hips just don't work like they used to, so I have left them alone. My days of knee dragging are over (although every once and a while) and I'm trying to get more time riding in comfort, although I am giving up some of the quality! If your body cooperates go for it, once you lose it, it's pretty much gone forever.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a pretty short inseam (31") so raising the rearsets is actually more comfortable for me, and much more familiar, having raced Ninja 300's, 400's and 1ks. Longer trips may be more punishing, but I'm not willing to let that control go (at least not yet.)

Enjoy the ride!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts