Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 model and I lost my key. I still have the spare but now I want another made in case I lose the spare too. Does anyone know the procedure for getting a spare made and how much it costs? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Yes, heres the cheap way.

Go to ebay and order key blanks. Notice the ones that appear to have a logo blurred out......and are cheap. Those are the same as what comes with our bike, but probably not official kawasaki..whatever.

Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Blank-Key-Blade-for-Kawasaki-ZX-10R-2011-Z1000-2011-ER6N-2011-2012-/141712310672?hash=item20feb64190:g:FesAAOSwgQ9Vmy5Z&vxp=mtr

Order them, then go to local lock smith for copying.

You can order blanks from your dealer. I believe each blank key is 28.00.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I wanted an extra key made, so I went to the "official kawasaki" key place, referred by the dealer. It was in San Francisco so I just rode up there instead of doing it online.

The way it worked they charged $45 to use my code to create a new key, and $15 to simply copy my key. I'm sure glad I didn't do it online. I guess that's not an option for everyone.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Did they really charge 50.00 for a key?...60.00, all in? And they wonder why we complain?..

I don't buy durable medical goods, from ebay, but key blanks are ok.

If you order eBay blanks, it's not as if they send a chinese guy to the house, or your bike gets shipped to china.. The blanks arrive by us post office.

Then, you take your original key, hand locksmith the proper blank, and he cuts them. 6.99 for the blanks, 5.00 to cut two keys.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well, they charge $45 per key, if made from the code. Once I was in the shop the guy just asked me if I had a key to copy, and told me $15 that way.

My dealer wasn't too happy about the situation, because they can't make the keys themselves. They basically said some locksmith bought the license for making kawasaki keys from Kawasaki. And now when the dealers customers ask for extra keys they have to send them here, or get them from here. The link just leads to a site for a general vehicle locksmith. So I believe the guy bought the licenses for all the big 4 japanese MC manufacturers, and probably some cars as well. See the attached order form.

KawasakiKeys.com
(415) 386-3900

The only benefit doing this way is I got the pretty kawasaki blanks. Not saying this is the best way. I like your way better rcannon.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Let me try again to add the attachment. Nope, not happening. PDF Filesize is too big. Anyone who wants the form just PM me and I'll email it to you.

If I didn't drive up there, and just did a phone/email order it would have been $45 + $2.75 for shipping through US mail.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Those ebay blanks are kawasaki blanks....well, at least they appear identical to what my bike came with. If you order this pretty 1 red and 1 blue blank...

2 Pcs Blue Red Blank Key Blade for Kawasaki ZX 10R 2011 Z1000 2011 ER 6N 11 12 | eBay

When it arrives, it has the logo, and looks just like the originals. You can get black, too.

The 45.00 charge is not cool. I suppose someone looks up the code, but thats not necessary if you are holding a correct key that just needs duplicating?

I do wish someone made a super strong blank.

·
Registered
709 Posts
for my 2015 I don't think there was any encoding, at least not when I had the extra keys made. I gave the dude (at KawasakiKeys.com) my current key and he gave me back two working keys.

He didn't ask for my VIN, or my key-code, or anything like that. I don't think there is any RFID code.

I know what you're talking about though. My car requires this, and it made me shy away from getting extra keys (enormous cost). The fact that kawasakikeys.com gave me a working duplicate key for $15 indicates very strongly, no individual encoding.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Some countries do have coded keys. Not so in the us, but some are as required by the govtive..UK, I believe has chipped keys.

In the 70-80 era, bikes had a four digit key number. The same number was stamped on the lock cylinder. Visible to anyone. It was easy to walk in and ask for a"1532" key, or whatever, and get one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The units sold in the Philippines have the chipped keys. I asked the dealer how to go about getting a duplicate. They called the Kawasaki plant and was told that they'd need
to get it duplicated in Japan.

The price, approximately USD 1000! I thought they wanted my right arm too.

Does anyone know of a cheaper way of getting chipped keys duplicated?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news. I found a local company who could do it for $80. It had good reviews. However, I never got to try it because of the better news -- I found my key!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Good news. I found a local company who could do it for $80. It had good reviews. However, I never got to try it because of the better news -- I found my key!
This might be a great time to try out that local company, when you're not desperate. I know $80 is a lot, but might be worth testing the process anyway. If it doesn't work, you can take your original extra key and put it in a safe deposit box somewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts