Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Ninja 1000 with only 900 miles. Everything is stock, so i am looking to make some mandatory improvements and want some suggestions/advice.
-New tires (which are best for commuting and weekend trips?)
-oil change/relube/basic maintenance for a stored bike
-Ivans flash (is this pretty straightforward? send in the ECU and about a month later, you get a finished product?)
-slip-on exhausts (not a huge fan of the large stock exhaust and want something more sleek (any suggestions?)

Also feel free to provide links if you have them!

Thank you all!

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
Ivan's flash doesn't take a month. He flashes them as they arrive and sends them out the same day. I send mine post office overnight. If you use their envelopes it costs less.

His return shipping is fed ex, two day. I send mine on Monday and I'll have it back by Thursday . Call him and let him know you are sending it.

If you want good top end power you have to replace the header with something that has a larger diameter. You might want that later? If so, choose a slip on that's decent sized and actually has some noise reduction as the noise increases quite a bit with a header.

I would do the fluids and tires and get to know the bike before you change anything else. Although the other mods are really nice, mandatory is really ......??? and it's always best if you make your decision about what you want and understand why you are doing it .

It's hard to not want to add the exhaust header when it adds 10-15 hp at anything above 6000 rpm not to mention the weight loss .

Here's Ivan's link.

Reactions: TheUX31EGuy

·
Registered
482 Posts
Honestly, other than tires/fluids, I'd say ride it a while and see what you REALLY ACTUALLY want. Take some time to get to know the bike first. After 2000 miles some things you'll still want and some things you might change your mind.

·
Premium Member
'12 Ninja 1000 (w/ late model KQR panniers), 03 KTM 525 EXC
230 Posts
Ride it, get used to the bike "stock". You might just appreciate it just fine as it is. If it doesn't measure up or falls short somewhere, I'd say go for the ivans tune. You'll have a greater appreciation for the Ivan's tune once you stretch the bike out stock. I'm a big fan of the roadsmart 3's. Decent sport touring tires won't leave you wanting for much, honestly.

·
Premium Member
'12 Ninja 1000 (w/ late model KQR panniers), 03 KTM 525 EXC
230 Posts
Ivans shipping is fast. Arrow or akrapovic header and then whatever slipon you fancy. I went for the akra dual header with akra slipons, with the baffles in. Sounds mean and is a damn rocket sled on rails honestly. Felt like the difference between a clapped out '88 F-350 with the 7.3L IDI, and then jumping into a new Scat Pack Charger. Maybe not that extreme, but the tune and supporting mods really wakes the bike up something fierce. Completely manageable and the power is exactly where you want it, especially as a daily driver. Or weekend weapon.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm a big fan of the roadsmart 3's.
Agreed. I just put a set on my N1K after wearing out the OEM Bridestones and I'm quite pleased with them.

Reactions: TheUX31EGuy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts