Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on this forum about seats, it was older info though, i sport tour my ninja 1K & after an hour in the saddle i start squirming around, i actually think my gsxr 1000's seat is more comfy if you can believe that. what have you folks done for seats? whats the opinion, corbin or seargant? im not interested in the kawi gel [email protected] all, please help!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went Baldwin

I've had good success with Sargent in the past, but wanted to try something different on my new Ninja. I had many discussions (via email) with Loren @ Baldwin Motorbike Saddles - Handcrafted Custom Motorcycle Seats and decided to give him a try.

My number one priority was comfort, as I average approx. 10K a year between my two bikes. I'm a bit over 6' w/a 34" inseam and Loren recommended adding an inch in height which would give me both more padding and leg room.

Just got the seat back last Friday and am very happy with it so far (only have a 100 miles on it). I really like the added seat height, but I don't know if I'd recommend doing this if your inseam is much shorter than mine. The saddle is both taller and wider, so it really effects your reach to the ground.

Oh, I did the core thing (see his site for details), so I did not miss any riding time. Picking the right saddle can be very stressful.... good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Went on a recent 600mi trip and was squirming after 45 min as well after each gas stop. Also test drove a '12 Connie where I bought my N1K. Def'ly a more comfortable bike incl'g two up riding. So, something I'm going to consider as well - either a new seat OR modifying mine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have read on this forum about seats, it was older info though, i sport tour my ninja 1K & after an hour in the saddle i start squirming around, i actually think my gsxr 1000's seat is more comfy if you can believe that. what have you folks done for seats? whats the opinion, corbin or seargant? im not interested in the kawi gel [email protected] all, please help!!!!!
Total Custom With a Gel Insert.
Luimoto Covers. Wrapped over Stock Material helped to add a bit of thickness. I used A Gel Insert and shaped to my Butt Bone Placement. Felt Weird all of about 1/2 a day , then I was used to it. Still not Cadillac comfortable but 100% improvement from stock.

Reactions: MikSchultzy

·
Registered
456 Posts
I went with Sargent. I'm still not happy. One of the problems is that the seat slopes toward the tank, so I am constantly sliding forward - on my junk. I finally invested in some jock straps and compression underwear. Tried gel pads, and they didn't help. After 5 hours I feel like I'm being tortured.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the sargent seats and although they still aren't perfect, they are WAY better than the factory seat. I don't have issues during spirited riding like I did with the stock, but I still have problems when traveling up the interstate with the sargent. I feel as though custom may be the only way to go at this point. I never heard much about Corbin on our bikes, but they are dang near as expensive as custom.

Would you guys put Baldwin and Laam on par with each other?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with aks801. Why not interested in the factory gel seat? I have one and it's a HUGH improvement over the stock seat. Still not perfect, but much better than stock. Sometimes I think Kawasaki designed the stock seat to be a rock so they can sell more of their gel seats.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sargent seat height

Does the Sargent seat increase the seat height or width? I'm curious as I have a short inseam.

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
Tomb, when I had the Sargent, it had a unfriendly shape when you came to a stoplight. It felt odd. Not much taller, or lower, but it felt like it made my legs go further apart.

No big deal, just slightly strange.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Does the Sargent seat increase the seat height or width? I'm curious as I have a short inseam.
According to Sargent's specs it raises the seat height 4/10th of 1 inch,,. I also think that seat width at the crotch effects your leg reach as well,,. I'm thinking that the front and sides are built up on the Sargent to allow for more of a pocket,,. The OEM Gel is similar but to a lesser degree IMO,,.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Heres a Balwin

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Should be Baldwin!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Here's Corbin,,,,a bit cruiser looking if you like that, I'm not big on it especially the back?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
:DHere the OEM Gel

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
Lag, your sargent description is right on. It was wider, and sort of squared off, in feel. Not while riding, but when my feet went down.

Loved the seat, but it was tractor like. I was 1 inch too short for where the rider pocket was. Otherwise, it was excellent.

Sargent offers a custom service, and would have been glad to help me. The price was only 499.00 to start...more if I wanted options. I'm like, "So, 300, plus then 499".....without laughing, the guy said, "Yes, that's where it's at." I soon sold it.

Mine was awesome. Carbon center, black sides and no piping. I like the baldwin.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Well I'm done looking at seats, after the song and dance I just went through,,. Ill be happy with the OEM Gel....it works for ,.

I just thought I would post a few alternatives having done a fair bit of research lately,,.

- My next move would have been the Sargent,,looks good but the height increase would have been a minor concern,,.
- Baldwin looks good but expensive, perhaps the seems are poorly located,.
- Corbin rear seat is a deal breaker, the front doesnt look to bad,,.
- Spencer's custom seems a reasonable alternative but you gotta find a cover, then ship your OEM then ship it back,,.
- The OEM Gel works for me from a fatigue perspective, looks good so that's enough!!

I think its all a crap shoot anyway depending on a persons size and physical anatomy,. what works for one doesnt necessarily work for the next person,,. Some folks are fine with the original seat,,.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've had good success with Sargent in the past, but wanted to try something different on my new Ninja. I had many discussions (via email) with Loren @ Baldwin Motorbike Saddles - Handcrafted Custom Motorcycle Seats and decided to give him a try.

My number one priority was comfort, as I average approx. 10K a year between my two bikes. I'm a bit over 6' w/a 34" inseam and Loren recommended adding an inch in height which would give me both more padding and leg room.

Just got the seat back last Friday and am very happy with it so far (only have a 100 miles on it). I really like the added seat height, but I don't know if I'd recommend doing this if your inseam is much shorter than mine. The saddle is both taller and wider, so it really effects your reach to the ground.

Oh, I did the core thing (see his site for details), so I did not miss any riding time. Picking the right saddle can be very stressful.... good luck with your decision!
I've used Corbin seats in the past. I liked their heated saddles for cold weather riding. But this time I went with a Baldwin saddle, also. I'm shorter, with only a 30" inseam but I like the seat height and the width of the standard Baldwin seat. It works very well for me.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Seth Laam is my seat man. Many 500 MI days and never ever think about the seat. The man is a joy to work with & the seat is guaranteed for as long as you own it. Really good guy.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts