Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here's the deal: I want to get a fender eliminator kit and, while I'm at it, swap out the OEM rear turn signals for some sleeker-looking ones. I think Rizoma LED indicators look good in the back and so that's what I'd like to get.

Before I go any further, I've already spoken with someone at Rizoma USA about this and he told me that Rizoma recommends getting LED indicators front and back because if I only get LED's in the back, I might get an error message on the dash. The reason he said "might" is because he said they never tested the N1K and, even if they had, they would have tested it with LED indicators front and back.

He went on to say that if I only get LED indicators in the rear and get an error message on the dash, I'd have to get LED indicators up front and that for the N1K, I'd have to get some that mount onto the forks (which is not something I want to do).

Will I get an error message on the dash by only swapping the rear indicators? Help please!

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
122 Posts
I can't comment on your question about getting an error code, but there is no need to replace the whole front assemblies as you can just buy some LED bulbs to replace the OEM bulbs in the front. You will also need to replace the flasher unit for a LED unit.

These items (bulbs & flasher unit) are cheap and readily available on eBay.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The Ninja does NOT throw error codes over changing turn signals. If you go with LEDs, however, the flasher unit senses the change in current draw and flashes rapidly. As Murphyau said, the flasher is cheap and easy to replace with one that flashes the same rate no matter what the load.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies. They were both helpful.

If I go with LED bulbs up front, can somebody recommend some good bulbs and a good flasher unit? I admit I know next to nothing about a flasher unit. I would rather spend $5 on a good bulb than $2 on a cheap one. I'd also rather spend $20 on a good flasher unit than $10 on a cheap one.

On a final note, the guy at Rizoma said I'd have to get a cable kit for the rear. Is it safe to say I'll need one up front, too?

https://www.rizoma.com/universal/indicator-lights/ee-kit-cablaggio/en

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
122 Posts
You do not need a cable kit for the front indicators. Just buy two LED replacement bulbs and swap out the original OEM incandescent bulbs.

You want a two 12Volt BAU15S LED Amber colour. ( BAU15S designates the correct locator pins on the bulb base).

There must be a million 12v LED flashers on eBay. Do a search on " 2-Pin 12V Electronic LED Flasher Relay Motorbike Turn Signal Lights ". You can also search on "Kawasaki Z1000 LED Flasher".

Just double check the wiring in the plug. Red = 12V while Black = Ground/Earth

·
Registered
14 Posts
I switched mine to leds. Google search for a video on how to replace them on a 2018 1000. In that video, they list the bulbs and flasher to use. I installed them and it works perfect.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm like to see some suggestions for amber LED replacement bulbs. I've tried 4 or 5 different ones and not one was as bright as the original (brighter is the goal, right?) I ended up going with 21W amber incandescent bulbs in the front.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
I've bought several flashers on ebay. Theres one model, search "Kawasaki led flasher" that every vendor sells. It's the same flasher, but priced anywhere from 3.00, from china, to 12-15 if you get it from a us seller.

Kenors, I was going to add Rizoma rear signals. They are bright enough to wake the dead. They are also 125.00-150.00 for two signals. More if you buy their adaptors and wire kits.

Just for fun I happened to order 2 of these bulbs. This was on my 2012. Newer signals might use different bulbs, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I invested a whole 7.00 on these two bulbs. I believe the seller lied about the configuration. I had to grind one pin off to make it fit the socket. They are much brighter than stock. Nothing like Rizoma, but still very impressive.Good enough to where I did not order the Rizoma pieces.

This was two years ago. I'm sure there are better bulbs , but for 7.00, I was happy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-1156-BAU15S-PY21W-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-Amber-Orange-Yellow-Bulb-33SMD-/122259764387

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks RC, the bulbs look promising since they're the 21W equivalent (stock bulbs are 10W).

FYI: 2011-2016 Ninjas all use 10W BAU15S based Amber bulbs, front and rear.
2017-2019 Ninjas still use the same bulb up front but changed the rear bulb to a wedge type mount. Still 10W.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW! You guys are so knowledgeable and helpful! THANK YOU!

I want to get this setup done right the first time; consequently, I've got a couple more questions:

1) Can somebody please confirm that this flasher relay will work? Based on Murphyau's post, it looks to me like it will:

https://www.motodynamic.com/motodynamic-electronic-led-flasher-relay-12v-2-prong-with-connector.html

2) Speaking of Motodynamic, this is the fender eliminator I'm getting:

https://www.motodynamic.com/fender-eliminator-kit-kawasaki-ninja-1000-2017-2018.html

Will I need these adaptors: https://www.rizoma.com/universal/indicator-lights/adatt-fr/en

for the Rizoma Corsa turn signals I'm getting for the rear? https://www.rizoma.com/universal/indicator-lights/fr110-corsa/en

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
122 Posts
The Motodynamic flasher unit should work.

I am not sure that the number plate light in the fender eliminator kit you are considering will work as it has bullet style connectors and I think the N1K has plug style connectors.

Its been a few months since I have been in that area of the bike and my memory is a little fuzzy. Hopefully someone else will chime in with the correct information.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Again, THANK YOU to all those who have replied. Your responses have been very helpful. The reason for all my questions is twofold:

1) I know next to nothing about electrical systems or electricity in general, and

2) I want to get the job done right the first time. I don't want to run into a situation where I'm ordering parts I don't need and then can't return them because they're electrical or I think I have everything I need only to find out I don't and then have to wait another week for additional parts to arrive. Also, for obvious reasons, I don't want my bike malfunctioning in any way.

Since I've decided to go with LED bulbs up front (along with the Rizoma Corsa indicators in the rear), can somebody please confirm that I'll BOTH of these?

https://www.rizoma.com/universal/indicator-lights/ee-kit-cablaggio/en

https://www.customled.com/products/elfr-1-electronic-led-flasher-relay?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjoH0BRD6ARIsAEWO9DvY4-Fiq0YZzxVV42l3MqNDiL_l3SJrGufmjcCIt8cbOkEtW7rNpCgaAlitEALw_wcB

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
You have the correct parts list you'll need to I stall these signals...probably.

I say probably because if you are mounting Rizoma signals in the same exact place as the stock rear signals, the rizoma signals mount differently.

You need 4 of these black plastic washer pieces to make up the difference. These plates act as large washers. If you are drilling a new hole, there is no need, but if it's going into the hole the stock signals leave, you need them.

Notice how I have one plate at the base of my led turn signal. You feed the signal through its mount, the you add the second plate. The nut that's supplied with the turn signal then pinches it together and holds it in place.

https://www.solomotoparts.com/Rizoma-Turn-Signal-Adapters-for-Front-Fairings-for-Kawasaki/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjoH0BRD6ARIsAEWO9DukRIDZGNUmoJY_mwxcYdVlKcIEmcyxTJvNO1gbGVyZ9fvhPkgUsIoaAlKIEALw_wcB

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
For starters, I got these for the front because it looks like Inertia is out of business and Osram doesn't make any:

https://www.muzzux.com/home/292810-2029557-2pcs-small-size-high-power-amber-yellow-samsung-led-2835-smd-ry10w-led-bulb-for-rear-turn-signal-lights-12v.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjoH0BRD6ARIsAEWO9DsBuK2vrh0HRAWMJmxZh4lQEZnuc7bhgGD-H5MdQhEj2r4i6d6QL0oaAgqCEALw_wcB

Here's the part I'm stuck on now:

Regarding the MotoDynamic fender eliminator kit, their web site indicates "Compatible with aftermarket turn signals utilizing 10mm hole mount or factory turn signals (USA) using included optional adapters."

https://www.motodynamic.com/fender-eliminator-kit-kawasaki-ninja-1000-2017-2018.html

Now if you look at the "TECHNICAL INFO" section for the Rizoma Corsa indicators, it says "M8 THREAD."

https://www.rizoma.com/universal/indicator-lights/fr110-corsa/en

My question now is whether or not I'll need adapters like these to make this setup work or will the Corsa indicators fit right onto the fender eliminator kit without utilizing the "included optional adapters"?

https://www.rizoma.com/universal/indicator-lights/adatt-fr/en

The problem with these Rizoma adapters is A) There are multiple part numbers and I don't see my '17 N1K listed, and 2) I don't see how this would matter as I'm using an aftermarket fender eliminator. I've already reached out to Rizoma USA for guidance and am waiting on their reply (so far, they've been very helpful).

Nobody needs to tell me what a pain in the *** I'm being with all these questions. The reason for this is I don't want to run into a situation where A) I order parts that aren't necessary only to find out I can't return an electrical part, or B) I think I have everything I need only to find out, halfway through the job, that I'm missing something and then have to wait another week for the part to arrive. I'm sure some of you guys can relate to this and it's no fun.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
You wont need the adaptors if you buy that fender eliminator. The adaptors in my picture have the 10mm hole. The adaptors are on ebay for under 10.00. Even full on rizoma adaptors are only 12.00, or so.

You would need the adapter if you put the rizoma signal back on to the 100% stock location, and left the bike stock. You'll see how it all goes together when you remove your stock signals. Theres a giant, oval hole left behind instead of a 10mm hole. My old Muzzy fender eliminator used the stock, giant oval holes, just like stock. I will need adaptors if I install the led signals I have.

One problem you might have is where the fender eliminator places the turn signals. It moves them forward. If you have saddlebags, the signals would probably hit them. If you dont have bags, no problem.

I'm sorry to keep bringing problems up, but heres another one . If you have never seen these rizoma signals, in person, it's difficult to comprehend how small they are. They are mini sized, and super bright.

That's no problem until you see them, from behind at a distance. They are so bright that it can be difficult to tell if the left lamp, or the right is flashing. A motorist, behind you just sees this blinding , flashing light. Similar to the problem with an integrated lamp.

So, rizima gives you that 8mm thread size because they also sell extenders. The stock signals dont stick out very far and it's easy to block one with a license plate. Adding the extenders moves them apart more and makes it easier to see the difference between right and left flashing.

Also be damn careful who you order your signals from. Unless you are paying 50-100, each, theres a good chance they are fake. I had a set of the fake ones. This one is a fake. It's not horrible, but it's not the real thing. I'll show it because this is what you will be building to mount in the new fender eliminator.

This is one turn signal, one extender, and one jumper wire that goes from bullet connectors to the stock kawasaki wiring g harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Cannon!

Before I begin, I should have clarified my previous statement to read: I know I'm being a pain in the *** with all these questions.

Anyhow, I'm not using hard cases so that won't be an issue (I actually did know the MotoDynamic fender eliminator wouldn't provide clearance for them).

As far as genuine vs. knockoff Rizoma indicators, I ordered mine through a local dealership that gets their Rizoma parts from Motovation in Texas (and the Rizoma rep I spoke with confirmed that Motovation is their distributor).

I've got all the parts I need! THANKS, EVERYONE!

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
You are not a pain in the ***. The way rizoma shows 75 brackets and 42 different wire kits is. They went the extra mile to cover any and all situations, and mounting options, but it is confusing to say the least.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts