Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I signed like a Democrat votes (i.e. often, while dead, & repeatedly :D - just kidding - I signed once). Don't want this to devolve into a sectarian war. Oil threads are bad enough. I sent the link to some others to sign as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
being from wyoming I don't even know what lane filtering is. :confused:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Done! Already legal in CA but a little more awareness definitely won't hurt. Just this morning I saw a guy on a Harley almost being taken out by a car crossing the double yellow into the carpool lane. In fact, there were TWO double yellows next to each other??? Next thing you know, we'll need a brick wall in between!! The biker was pissed; I was just behind him but not splitting at that very moment.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you see how they drive cars in ohio.. lane filtering is probably not a good idea. I would rather berm pass than squeeze in between these nimrods :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Lane filtering

I support the concept......but i am afraid of old drivers and every ones cell phones over here in florida :eek:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
CA drivers are pretty awful too. You definitely have to be careful and remember that most of them probably won't see you. Reasonable speed is key. I think it was a CHP officer that once said 15mph over traffic up to 50mph and I think that's a very good rule. That's pretty much what I do and it gives you some reaction time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
LOL Florida, Ohio, Cali - its like the trifecta of bad driving states :)

I saw bikers riding in NYC this past weekend.. that is beyond nuts! Only place I have ever been where the cars lane split!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Over the years I have traveled to LA on business trips many times. When I was on I405 and in some stop and go traffic, I saw several bikes split lanes and essentially cruise down the highway. I personally would not do it, because the drivers are not expecting a bike to ride by them between lanes and they could easily wander off their lane and hit a passing bike especially if they are on their cell phones and most seem to be. And then there are the road rage people who think the bikes should wait their turn in traffic and not be allowed to split lanes even if it is legal.

I would say if the law passes in your state, feel free to lane split if you have the courage to do so.

·
Registered
367 Posts
We have lane splitting for a long time here in Belgium.

It takes a while before the cars get used to it, but once they do, they will make place.
It even gets tiresome to thank them for it with the foot :D

Only annoyance is that you still have that 1% of retards that change lanes without turn signals.

Another thing is, while it is legally limited in speed, they sometimes make you go faster.
When the traffic jams stop, but the highway is still full, cars still make space for you, so you kinda feel obliged to go over the speed limit (most of the cars making place already are over the speed limit).

Just be aware, never trust a car, always look in their rear mirrors to see if they are looking.

Reactions: Ishikawa

·
Registered
483 Posts
We have the people that don't use blinkers in the US as well E.M. ... judging by all the internet memes.. we call them bmw owners :)

I personally think there are more brands in that category but it is worth a laugh or two :)

just type "bmw memes turn signal" into face book .. enjoy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
LOL Florida, Ohio, Cali - its like the trifecta of bad driving states :)

I saw bikers riding in NYC this past weekend.. that is beyond nuts! Only place I have ever been where the cars lane split!!!!

In Manila, even trucks split lanes. It's more fun in the Philippines.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Most drivers here are too arrogant and careless here for Lane splitting. Just an observation.

@bombim, I've learned to value jeepney and taxi driver's skills back home. Even the common person driving, driving defensively with common sense. Hard to explain but you'll understand once you get to experience riding in the USA.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I just signed the petition.

After a few times sitting in stop and go traffic, it made sense to try it out. It is certainly risky, but not impossible to minimize the risk. I become hyper-aware when doing it, evaluating each car as I approach. Is he/she unaware, cooperating with me, or fighting me? I time my passes carefully and stay ready for someone to make an un-signaled lane change. For now, I'm only doing it when the traffic is moving at less than 35mph, and some vehicles I just don't bother trying to share the lane with (raised trucks, clueless drivers, etc.)

For those of you who don't think it is safe, the petition is simply to make it legal, not mandatory.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You can position yourself in the middle of the lane so you are ready to split lanes if the person behind you doesn't seem like he's stopping. However, there are a lot of drivers in the USA that brake very late.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've been doing it for like 30 years here in Cali. I've been spit on, cigarettes flicked at me, doors opened up and have taken out a mirror or three. I ride with caution but I always see that guy who splits at race pace. Its also a reason I believe, "loud pipes save lives." Let traffic know your coming through. Most drivers make room for bikers now days. Filtering is a good way to put it as it does not mean go as fast as you can.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I've been doing it for like 30 years here in Cali. I've been spit on, cigarettes flicked at me, doors opened up and have taken out a mirror or three. I ride with caution but I always see that guy who splits at race pace. Its also a reason I believe, "loud pipes save lives." Let traffic know your coming through. Most drivers make room for bikers now days. Filtering is a good way to put it as it does not mean go as fast as you can.
Agreed. I get passed on many occasions. You may as well play Russian roulette.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Its also a reason I believe, "loud pipes save lives."
Sorry but that is bullshit IMO.
I've been in the traffic jams as a car, and I have driven with my bike after some of the loudest exhaust bikes I've ever heard.

As a car, you hear the bike when it's too late.
As a biker behind the loud bike ... I didn't notice any difference in people making place, then when I overtook him & drove the remaining 10km way in front of him.

One of the main issues people have with bikers is loud exhausts (here in Europe). I would be surprised if at least here, cars would not be more unfriendly against loud motorcycles then against quit ones.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most drivers here are too arrogant and careless here for Lane splitting. Just an observation.

@bombim, I've learned to value jeepney and taxi driver's skills back home. Even the common person driving, driving defensively with common sense. Hard to explain but you'll understand once you get to experience riding in the USA.

I understand. I lived in VA for some time. I've driven around the East Coast. Just never got the chance to visit the West Coast though. Just drove a cage not a bike.
Cage drivers seem to get spooked when another vehicle gets a little close to them. I can sympathize.

When I returned to Manila, on the drive from the airport to the house, I kept shouting at my brother to take it easy and to stop tail-gating. He gave me the "what planet do you come from" look. it took me about a month to get used to driving "Philippine-style" again.

Lane splitting in Manila is an adventure. You are deemed too close to a vehicle only if you hit its side mirror.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts